Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

BTN and ESPN+ are boxing out Flo

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Is it just me or did Flo have a lot more big duals last year? They've still got high school cornered, they should try to get worlds away from Track.

Would find it REALLY difficult to believe that Flo would have the money to take anything from Track that Track really wanted, knowing who Track's parent company is.

Flo had a good run and helped establish the market for wrestling digital content. However, I think they focused too much on their other verticals and allowed wrestling to get away from them. Clearly BTN, ESPN, and track all offer better content now for fans of college/international wrestling.  WTT is the one event that I subscribe to flo for, but not sure it’s worth the yearly subscription anymore. 

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Would find it REALLY difficult to believe that Flo would have the money to take anything from Track that Track really wanted, knowing who Track's parent company is.

Who is their parent company? They don't seem to invest anything.

6 hours ago, Gantry said:

NBC Sports is the parent company of Track

I think grandparent actually. I believe SportsEngine (or however they spell it this week) bought Track and NBCSports owns SE.

Edited by gimpeltf

11 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I think grandparent actually. I believe SportsEngine (or however they spell it this week) bought Track and NBCSports oqns SE.

and Comcast owns NBC (and Universal)  

39 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Whose tracks parent company? I would think you could tell us unless its Zahid.

Ultimate parent company is Comcast. Directly, SportsEngine, a wholly owned subsidiary of NBC Universal, itself a subsidiary of Comcast, is the parent company. 

Like any tiny subsidiary of a much larger parent company, it’s budget is limited. Just because they have a huge parent company does not mean they can buy whatever they want. So I think Flo can compete with Track on content bidding wars until Comcast decides they care a lot about wrestling. 

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Ultimate parent company is Comcast. Directly, SportsEngine, a wholly owned subsidiary of NBC Universal, itself a subsidiary of Comcast, is the parent company. 

Like any tiny subsidiary of a much larger parent company, it’s budget is limited. Just because they have a huge parent company does not mean they can buy whatever they want. So I think Flo can compete with Track on content bidding wars until Comcast decides they care a lot about wrestling. 

That's kind of the point. If Comcast decides they care about something (like Worlds), Flo can't compete.

3 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

“Other networks don’t want wrestling.” - Flo 

As of right now, this is still the case. BTN is likely paying attention to how many views their wrestling content is getting online. If you go to their youtube page, look at their videos, and sort by most popular you will see that wrestling does pretty damn well online in comparison to other sports, especially olympic sports. 

14 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Flo had a good run and helped establish the market for wrestling digital content. However, I think they focused too much on their other verticals and allowed wrestling to get away from them. Clearly BTN, ESPN, and track all offer better content now for fans of college/international wrestling.  WTT is the one event that I subscribe to flo for, but not sure it’s worth the yearly subscription anymore. 

Does Track really have better content than Flo?  I don't have either but find that hard to believe.

I don't think any of these services are going to put Flo out of business, but maybe it will force them to lower their price or more overtly offer a monthly option for wrestling which most of the others do. 

I still subscribe and support Flo because of what it has done - and to a lesser extent what it continues to do - for the sport. That being said it’s increasingly clear they are more focused on dominating other “niche” sports than growing their wrestling business. Over the past year I’ve even gotten the sense that Flowrestling is retrenching more and more in high school wrestling. Money they would’ve reinvested into wrestling 5 years ago is now being redirected into growing other segments like FloMarching. It’s a microcosm of the evolution of the media industry as a whole. Small and localized is what works. 

Their business, their decisions...but I do think they need to improve their college wrestling product or they’ll regret it. Hopefully what I perceive as a drop off in the quality of their college wrestling product is just because this year is a totally off year for college wrestling because of the ORS situation, teams punting, etc.

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Does Track really have better content than Flo?  I don't have either but find that hard to believe.

I don't think any of these services are going to put Flo out of business, but maybe it will force them to lower their price or more overtly offer a monthly option for wrestling which most of the others do. 

I don't believe so and their site isn't "friendly..."

3 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I don't believe so and their site isn't "friendly..."

Nailed it.  Their website is atrocious.  So many click-throughs just to get to brackets.  While most sites have went to more responsive designs, track wants to remind you of the pay wall at every click. We get it, track....to get all the features you want paid.  But don't require so much effort.  There's other way to go about business.  The whole pop-up at every turn is so 2000's.  It's one of the reasons I have avoided their site so much.  If I pay, will I still have to plow through bs?

BTN has really stepped up showing more duals and the actual best dual of the week this year on broadcast TV.  In years past it was random and you'd get the MSU vs Purdue dual on broadcast TV while PSU/Iowa were on the streaming service, which means Flo.  That has hurt Flo quite a bit this year in terms of what you can see...

Edited by Gantry