Housebuye

Finally some positive news for PSU

41 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm not so sure diabetes is an issue for him on the mat. It affects his diet, certainly, but a guy can eat healthy even if he can only eat diabetes friendly stuff. I could be wrong, but I don't think it affects his conditioning as long as he keeps his blood sugar good. Good lungs/muscle oxidation is where it's at, man. 

Apparantly the insulin / diabetes get out of control with even a minor spike in adrenalin. I have read multiple articles regarding Verkleeren. The articles all say its an issue. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

I'm not so sure diabetes is an issue for him on the mat. It affects his diet, certainly, but a guy can eat healthy even if he can only eat diabetes friendly stuff. I could be wrong, but I don't think it affects his conditioning as long as he keeps his blood sugar good. Good lungs/muscle oxidation is where it's at, man. 

Read this and then opine.

https://triblive.com/sports/how-former-hempfield-wrestler-jarod-verkleeren-found-success-at-penn-state-in-spite-of-type-1-diabetes/

I’d like to see Verk and Pipher make a run at nationals. Both weights are pretty wide open, at least much more so than in recent seasons. It’ll depend highly on their draws but both could still be landmines in the brackets.

4 minutes ago, pamela said:

I’d like to see Verk and Pipher make a run at nationals. Both weights are pretty wide open, at least much more so than in recent seasons. It’ll depend highly on their draws but both could still be landmines in the brackets.

Verk, yeah, but I can't see Pipher doing much at Nationals, providing he qualifies. 

15 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I think if Verk does well at B1G that he pulls down a top 8 seed at NCAAs. He's had a pretty good year and is hitting his stride. 

What is 'doing well' to you?

There are currently 5 B10 149 pounders ahead of him: Sasso, Lugo, Lee, Storr, Rooks and Purinton.  Does he have to place top 4 to get an 8 seed at NCAAs?

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What is 'doing well' to you?

There are currently 5 B10 149 pounders ahead of him: Sasso, Lugo, Lee, Storr, Rooks and Purinton.  Does he have to place top 4 to get an 8 seed at NCAAs?

I have pretty high standards, but I think doing well for Verk at B1G would be top 4. 

Didn't think this needed a specific thread necessarily, so a bit misfit here but somewhat applicable.  When do we expect to know the allocations to each conference?  Also do teams have to declare who will be wrestling in the qualifier previous to this or do they just guess?  

22 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Thanks for posting.  It is a nice article.  After reading this, I will opine that diabetes doesn't hold him back.

I bet Verkleeren would agree with you. He said as much in the article. However, it affects the way he prepares and wrestles.

Edited by 82bordeaux
sp

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Wouldn't he qualify if he placed top 8 or whatever in B1G? 

That’s my point: I believe he is ineligible to wrestle now in Big10.  The above poster comparing him to Suriano is wrong.  Suriano transferred to Rutgers much earlier.  

20 minutes ago, Sstern said:

That’s my point: I believe he is ineligible to wrestle now in Big10.  The above poster comparing him to Suriano is wrong.  Suriano transferred to Rutgers much earlier.  

Suriano transferred in September ...Kerkvilet transferred in October maybe beginning of nov....both were 1st semester 

the process was started in August but he didn’t officially transfer and enroll in Rutgers until September of 2017 

Edited by Antitroll2828

30 minutes ago, Sstern said:

When Suriano transferred, the question of whether he’d be able to compete right away seemed to hinge upon whether PSU would grant his release. The B1G was also rumored to be updating this rule to make it easier for athletes to xfr and compete, but I don’t know if it happened. 

It prob doesn’t matter tho since it’s unlikely Kerk wrestles at B1Gs or NCAAs.