fadzaev2

Fantasy Matchup Dan Hodge vs. Cael Sanderson

I was following the Uetake vs Lee thread, and all the debate, so I thought, what would be another good matchup from an early era to close to the present, although Cael's career ended a while ago.   Beside technique, training methods and more, the difference in number of matches alone is huge.....Hodge 46-0 over 3 years/undefeated/pinned in the finals all 3 years.  Cael was 39-0/40-0/40-0/40-0...159-0 total .....OW all 4 years.  I'm going to add some international results as well for both of them....CAEL....  Silver @ 2003 World Championships, Gold @ 2004 Olympics and 5th @ 2011 World Championships.        HODGE......Going into May 1956 wrestling trials for US Olympic team, Hodge was middleweight favorite. He was eliminated on May 2 by William Smith. Smith was embroiled in controversy with the Central AAU and Hodge was his substitute.[2] After two Olympics appearances, Hodge placed 5th in 1952, and won the Silver Medal in 1956, in Melbourne, Australia after being defeated at the final by Bulgarian Nikola Stanchev.

Edited by fadzaev2

Eras are super tough to compare.  

Based on that... I will have to defer to one immutable truth in that strength training and nutrition is/was better during Cael's career than during Hodge's career.  

Given this, and considering that it's effectively impossible to compare the other facets directly, I lean (every so lightly) Cael.  

I think the thing people need to understand is that technique is fluid. It changes over time as the sport is further refined. Hodge would've had benefit of today's knowledge/technique if he wrestled today, but since we never got to see him use today's tactics and we are aware of Cael's mastery, it's all conjecture. However physically Hodge was far more powerful than Cael. He simply overpowered everybody he wrestled with brute strength (although by the standards of the day his technique was good).  Hell, Danny Hodge is around 80 years old and still crushing apples with that ridiculous grip.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, olddirty said:

Watch video of these guys in the early 60s and earlier, then watch an average high school state championship match in todays era.  There is your answer

Watch video of Hodge chrushing an apple and then think of Hodge doing the same to one of Cael favored jewels, there is your answer. ;)

Seriously, for any who saw Cael up close and live, he was just one fluid continual motion machine, afraid Dan would never be able to grab hold.  

This is absurd.  Hodge would get pinned or teched.  You take last years NCAA champs and put them against champs from 2000, there would be multiple major decisions and tech falls.

here is another one, if Tom Martucci was a 197 for TCNJ this year, would he win the DI tournament?  Actually, what DIII champs could have won DI NCAAs in the last 20 years?  BETTER YET, if last years DI champs had a dual against last years DIII champs, what weights would NOT end up in a major, tech or pin?  

Hodge v Cael is like asking if Vince Lombardi’s Super Bowl champ packers played the Super bowl champ chiefs, who would win?  I say the chiefs score 30 touchdowns and the packers have over a hundred negative yards in the worst game of football ever played.   

Edited by Cptafw164

14 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

This is absurd.  Hodge would get pinned or teched.  You take last years NCAA champs and put them against champs from 2000, there would be multiple major decisions and tech falls.

here is another one, if Tom Martucci was a 197 for TCNJ this year, would he win the DI tournament?  Actually, what DIII champs could have won DI NCAAs in the last 20 years?  BETTER YET, if last years DI champs had a dual against last years DIII champs, what weights would NOT end up in a major, tech or pin?  

Hodge v Cael is like asking if Vince Lombardi’s Super Bowl champ packers played the Super bowl champ chiefs, who would win?  I say the chiefs score 30 touchdowns and the packers have over a hundred negative yards in the worst game of football ever played.   

Fight sports are a little different.  For example, the boxing heavyweights of the 60's, 70's, and mid 80's are better than American heavyweight boxers today.  

You think time will help someone deal with Marciano's double left hook?

2 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Fight sports are a little different.  For example, the boxing heavyweights of the 60's, 70's, and mid 80's are better than American heavyweight boxers today.  

So you disagree with his wrestling analogy?  Or you just were throwing boxing out there for discussion?

6 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Marciano would have been murdered by an early or late Tyson.  Not fast enough.  Boxing is even more a sport that benefits natural athletes (strength speed reflexes). I know because I taught boxing at USMA and graduated from there.  The reason why West Point has had so many NCBA championships is because a good boxing coach can take someone with the build and physical attributes and make them into a national champ in less than a year.  You CANNOT do that with wrestling.  

Edited by Cptafw164

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Brock Lesnar.

Too bad he wrestled since he was 10.  So you have another example?

What I witnessed at West Point is the boxing coach pulling someone aside from class and asking if they wanted to do boxing...never boxed before...and made THEM national champs in less than a year.  Not just one but several guys.

Edited by Cptafw164