Sign in to follow this  
Panther78

Why?

As I have gotten more familiar with college wrestling this past season after 20 years of Jr. High/High School wrestling I find it puzzling after recent events:

Wrestling requires so much physical and mental from the body/brain.

Training is so important.

Being at your best physically/mentally critical.

Do top level athletes really use alcohol, pot and other recreational drugs, stimulants, not even sure what to call them at this point?

After reading comments from a thread no longer available I was surprised at how many people seemed to support the idea that it was OK for athletes to have their private time with recreational drug use and while I agree they do have their own private time that really isn't anybody's business.

My question is WHY? Why would you as an athlete put yourself in that situation, alcohol, pot.....whatever it is.....WHY?

I'm naive enough to not know much about recreational drug use but simple minded enough to know that wrestling and recreational drug use isn't that great of a combo!!!

I have the same philosophical questions... but moreso related to the enforcement of whatever dum-dum rules and regulations exist. 

The answer to your "why" question is simple... because you can (and want to). 

As a 20-something, having some beer/whiskey/pot at a party, while attempting to hook up is pretty much "normal".  Screw the morality police that pretend it's not... i can show you 6,000-7,000 guys between 1996-2001 at my respective school that did that exact same damn thing.  LOL!

As an athlete, it's definitely not supportive habits, but, it's reality.  There are consequences from these choices as well, not just physical (clearly).  

But... to answer your primary question...  it's because you can (and want to)

1 minute ago, Panther78 said:

Do top level athletes really use alcohol, pot and other recreational drugs, stimulants, not even sure what to call them at this point?

After reading comments from a thread no longer available I was surprised at how many people seemed to support the idea that it was OK for athletes to have their private time with recreational drug use and while I agree they do have their own private time that really isn't anybody's business.

My question is WHY? Why would you as an athlete put yourself in that situation, alcohol, pot.....whatever it is.....WHY?

I think a lot of the best guys do not just because they are so disciplined. Alcohol is so hard on your performance because of calories, dehydration, but also it interrupts your REM cycle. Are there guys that do? yeah, but some are just that talented. It shows though when you get to the highest levels.

As far as pot, it is more of a distraction. It can affect a wrestlers discipline, but at the same time doesn't really have an negative physical affects. Thats why people defend it. There are people who can handle that distraction and not affect their discipline. There are others who can not.

To answer why? There is a lot of pressure, there is a lot of hard work. People need an escape. 

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I think a lot of the best guys do not just because they are so disciplined. Alcohol is so hard on your performance because of calories, dehydration, but also it interrupts your REM cycle. Are there guys that do? yeah, but some are just that talented. It shows though when you get to the highest levels.

As far as pot, it is more of a distraction. It can affect a wrestlers discipline, but at the same time doesn't really have an negative physical affects. Thats why people defend it. There are people who can handle that distraction and not affect their discipline. There are others who can not.

To answer why? There is a lot of pressure, there is a lot of hard work. People need an escape. 

i'd argue that frequent marijuana usage (if smoking it) does have an immediate and discernible physical effect (i.e. any smoke in lungs is bad news).  

If he's on edibles, then he just needs to watch his weight more!  maybe it's helping him bulk for 86kg!!  :-)

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

i'd argue that frequent marijuana usage (if smoking it) does have an immediate and discernible physical effect (i.e. any smoke in lungs is bad news).  

If he's on edibles, then he just needs to watch his weight more!  maybe it's helping him bulk for 86kg!!  :-)

I don't think the one gummy bear is going to put him over the edge too much!

7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Studies are pretty clear on the damage pot does to the developmental brain up until 25.......hardly a negative physical effect, the idea that escaping through alcohol/drug use is by far one of the greatest fallacy we allow to go on for ourselves and our youth! There are so many other ways to escape without the negative issues.

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I mean, are you looking for a more nuanced answer than "it feels awesome"?

Are you talking about the "awesome" Monday practice after a hungover weekend or the awesome of not being able to hang in the third period because you wreck your body on a regular basis.....?

One only needs to look at the NFL where there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of players who use illegal drugs before, during and after gameday.  Lawrence Taylor...all time great...was known for using cocaine before games. Josh Gordon, who lead the NFL in receiving, has admitted to playing most games high and/or drunk.

Check out this top 10 list of elite athletes with drug issues: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1014743-the-top-10-most-athletically-successful-drug-users/#slide10

Michael Phelps, Ricky Williams, Michael Irvin, Tim Linceum, Todd Marinovich, Josh Hamilton, Nate Newton, Darryl Strawebery, Brett Favre....

5 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

Are you talking about the "awesome" Monday practice after a hungover weekend or the awesome of not being able to hang in the third period because you wreck your body on a regular basis.....?

1.  You'd be shocked how many of the all-timers were also party guys.

2.  That would apply to anybody drinking or doing drugs, not just athletes.  Everybody gets hangovers.  People do it because it feels great at the time.

4 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

Only if it applies, just something I have noticed this year because of my college level exposure first time ever.......I am new to college level wrestling and disappointed that athletes don't take better care of their bodies in such a demanding situation.......

The amount of alcohol and drugs in NCAA Basketball and NCAA Football, I would imagine, far exceeds what we see in NCAA Wrestling.  The level of conditioning required for us as wrestlers is so far beyond those two other comparative sports that the frequency of usage is just too darn low.  Too many guys worship their body, their technique, and their potential to allow drugs and alcohol to really be a 'thing'.  Sure... some do, but I would suggest that it's at a much lower frequency than with participants from those other sports.

these guys are not robots by any means.

plenty of fun being had by many of the top guys.  speaking to alcohol here - no experience with other stuff.

if you need any more evidence that performance can be maintained while still having fun look up Royce Alger.

43 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

As I have gotten more familiar with college wrestling this past season after 20 years of Jr. High/High School wrestling I find it puzzling after recent events:

Wrestling requires so much physical and mental from the body/brain.

Training is so important.

Being at your best physically/mentally critical.

I'm naive enough to not know much about recreational drug use but simple minded enough to know that wrestling and recreational drug use isn't that great of a combo!!!

Damn man, I'm no Einstein but I was finished with my primary education in only 12 years. 

Regarding the rest I hate to break your bubble but yes, top level athletes like to unwind like the rest of us. Hell, they NEED to unwind with their brutal training regimens. Have you seen how many pro athletes get busted for weed on a yearly basis in drug tests? As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be tested for recreational drugs anyway since they don't confer a competitive advantage. A little weed isn't going to hurt somebody and just might remove a stick from their ass. 

Edited by TobusRex

14 minutes ago, Witherman said:

plenty of fun being had by many of the top guys.  speaking to alcohol here - no experience with other stuff.

if you need any more evidence that performance can be maintained while still having fun look up Royce Alger.

I wrestled on a FS team over the summer of my 17th year.  The team was the "Cimarron Wrestling Club", and was comprised mostly of All-state kids from Bristow, Cushing, Cleveland, and a couple other little towns. We wrestled a few international teams traveling through the USA. As you can imagine the adult teams from Poland and New Zealand won the duals pretty easily (I was 2-0, btw :D ) .  I still remember those guys from Poland smoking cigarettes and drinking vodka in the locker room BEFORE the dual, lol.  Hell, they offered me some vodka :D 

Edited by TobusRex

29 minutes ago, Witherman said:

Never heard of the guy but interesting to be classified as........Royce is one of Dan Gables most ferocious wrestlers.....

Just now, Panther78 said:

I guess I would wonder the what if........what if these superior athletes had not used all this recreational stimulant.........maybe even greater results??? 

The other side of the coin is that maybe they’d have HEW and flamed out sooner. Idk.

39 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Damn man, I'm no Einstein but I was finished with my primary education in only 12 years. 

Regarding the rest I hate to break your bubble but yes, top level athletes like to unwind like the rest of us. Hell, they NEED to unwind with their brutal training regimens. Have you seen how many pro athletes get busted for weed on a yearly basis in drug tests? As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be tested for recreational drugs anyway since they don't confer a competitive advantage. A little weed isn't going to hurt somebody and just might remove a stick from their ass. 

As I have gotten more familiar with college wrestling this past season after 20 years of Jr. High/High School wrestling I find it puzzling after recent events:

I've never personally wrestled........wasn't really introduced to wrestling until I was 40........and have spent the last 20 years helping our youth programs in the area that I live because my boys became interested in wrestling........but I'm no Einstein either......just have seen the many, many ill effects that alcohol and drugs have on kids athlete or non athlete......go ahead and keep relying on that primary education.....

1 minute ago, Panther78 said:

As I have gotten more familiar with college wrestling this past season after 20 years of Jr. High/High School wrestling I find it puzzling after recent events:

I've never personally wrestled........wasn't really introduced to wrestling until I was 40........and have spent the last 20 years helping our youth programs in the area that I live because my boys became interested in wrestling........but I'm no Einstein either......just have seen the many, many ill effects that alcohol and drugs have on kids athlete or non athlete......go ahead and keep relying on that primary education.....

Sorry, I can't resist being a smartass.  Don't take it personal,  I bust everybody's chops. I'd probably be President of the USA by now if I didn't have such a big mouth at the wrong times.