Sign in to follow this  
Panther78

Why?

15 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

I am surprised this thread has legs.  I noticed it this morning and couldn't decide if the OP was trolling or serious.  

Did someone really say they think weed is a gateway drug?  Do people really believe that??  

My college teammates were some of the hardest partiers I have ever met.    

I'm no troll and pretty serious about the idea that we accept the idea that athletes compete at their best level using some form of drug, recreational or not. 

Studies show both sides with their support that pot is or isn't a gateway drug....I happen to fall on the side that believes it falls under that category.

I could say the same thing back......do people (hardest partiers) really believe that they perform at their highest possible level under the influence of pot? Alcohol? Prescription drugs? Whatever the latest kick is.......no pun intended with the "highest" possible level!!!

Pay attention to the rise in problems that will occur due to medicinal marijuana........do some research on what pot does to the developing brain.......check out the term sinapsis and it will shed some light on what pot does to the brain during development!

12 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

I'm no troll and pretty serious about the idea that we accept the idea that athletes compete at their best level using some form of drug, recreational or not. ???

Studies show both sides with their support that pot is or isn't a gateway drug....I happen to fall on the side that believes it falls under that category.  WHAT SIDE?

I don't believe this is what you meant to type?  If so?  I'm really confused now. Not that I need help.

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I don't believe this is what you meant to type?  If so?  I'm really confused now. Not that I need help.

You can find support for the idea the marijuana is or isn't a gateway drug......I fall on the side in my experience that marijuana is a gateway drug......

I probably do need help......and to relax...........D2 regionals this weekend and while it isn't on the serious wrestling minds some of us get to root for the underdogs of the weekend!!!

Looking forward to rooting in Kearny this Saturday!!!

9 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

You can find support for the idea the marijuana is or isn't a gateway drug......I fall on the side in my experience that marijuana is a gateway drug......

I probably do need help......and to relax...........D2 regionals this weekend and while it isn't on the serious wrestling minds some of us get to root for the underdogs of the weekend!!!

Looking forward to rooting in Kearny this Saturday!!!

I understand what you meant, you just didn't write it that way.

Enjoy your wrestling.

everyone needs an outlet.  for me - its a beer or two before bed, i'm also not under the stress to be the best in the nation.

high level athletes happen to be so physically and genetically gifted that they are able to perform at the level they can while also having this outlet.  This isn't a broad stroke saying everyone is doing something - more so pointing out why the ones who do can get by with still performing at the level they do.

12 minutes ago, Witherman said:

its a beer or two before bed, i'm also not under the stress to be the best in the nation.

I recommended a book earlier in this thread. I would look into it. One of the most harmful things about alcohol is the way that it disrupts your sleep. Although alcohol will help you fall asleep faster because it is a depressant, it reduces REM sleep. REM is so important because it is the time your brain makes neural connections. Not getting the proper amount of REM sleep can disrupt your ability to learn and stay emotionally consistent. Although you are trying to use alcohol to alleviate stress, there is actually a possibility that choosing to drink before sleep is causing stress. 

Just a little info. Not trying to be a know it all or anything because I am far from an expert. 

Edited by russelscout

20 hours ago, Panther78 said:

And how many of those 1.25 million were drug related? I'm not disagreeing with you on the statistic just saying.......I'm not grandstanding anything......and if the value of one life to you is not important.....or maybe the idea that one life was saved then...............

Not a scientific study but my own anecdotal experience as a first responder is many more fatal accidents not involving drugs or alcohol.  One double fatality involving suspected alcohol.   I can think of 8 other accidents with a dozen fatalities from inexperience, bad decisions or bad luck.  

Personally I think being a poor driver or distracted driver while sober should receive much more scrutiny....it means you just suck at driving and decision making which scares me more.

5 minutes ago, moose41 said:

Not a scientific study but my own anecdotal experience as a first responder is many more fatal accidents not involving drugs or alcohol.  One double fatality involving suspected alcohol.   I can think of 8 other accidents with a dozen fatalities from inexperience, bad decisions or bad luck.  

Personally I think being a poor driver or distracted driver while sober should receive much more scrutiny....it means you just suck at driving and decision making which scares me more.

One of the things this past year that has really hit the headlines in the Phoenix area is the number of wrong way drivers on the freeway. Many of those have been attributed to impairment from drugs, alcohol.......I appreciate those who go out every day and encounter what must be horrific scenes.....thanks for being one of those willing to do that!!!

Good perspective......thanks

1 hour ago, Panther78 said:

One of the things this past year that has really hit the headlines in the Phoenix area is the number of wrong way drivers on the freeway. Many of those have been attributed to impairment from drugs, alcohol.......I appreciate those who go out every day and encounter what must be horrific scenes.....thanks for being one of those willing to do that!!!

Good perspective......thanks

I’m sure those are headline grabbers as it’s  the nature of the media.   As I said in my ten years in the fire service a vast majority of the accidents I have been involved in have been due to poor/distracted driving and not impairment. 

Here is my opinion why top athletes use during training .  Peer pressure, to be “cool.” To fit in, not developing the techniques/habits to deal with stress, problems, boredom, etc., without the use of drugs/alcohol, immaturity, low self-esteem, everybody does it, it won't hurt me (invulnerable), and the probably the biggest reason is it feels good. Drugs/alcohol do for them what they do not know how to do for themselves…and then they become dependent on those methods in order to cope, deal with stress, problems, life, relax, celebrate, etc. 

During my career, I have witnessed plenty of athletes from various sports go from great to good and good to fair because of alcohol/drug use.  For many athletes, the only thing that changes for them when season starts is now they have to go to practice…they don’t alter any of their drug/alcohol habits.  Yes, there are those select few who can still “party” and do well.  There are always exceptions,  but let me say two things here; 1) for every kid who can use and maintain success, there are many, many more who cannot…and 2) I would bet that those who use and still perform well are probably paying a price somewhere else in their life.  We just don't get to see that part.  

If you are underage and using alcohol/drugs, you have to change your character. You must become more deceptive and dishonest, lie more, and scheme.  When you get comfortable being dishonest/sneaky in one area of your life it becomes easier to be dishonest/sneaky in other areas of your life. Those traits become your habit/character. Just because something is legal, certainly doesn’t preclude it from being harmful physically, psychologically, or emotionally.