Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

Question on Cael Sandersons collegiate career

I wasn't sure which forum this was more appropriate for.  

I wasn't following the sport at the time, though I recall knowing about his run to perfection back then.  It is an amazing accomplishment, which appears to rightly put him as #1 on Best Collegiate Wrestlers of All Time lists.  

That said are there any "belmishes" or controversies with his run?  

I was thinking of someone like Floyd Mayweather.  There are a couple wins that some dispute and maybe some argument that he cherry picked some opponents at just the right time.

Or take someone like Mike Tyson.  Pre Buster Douglas, he was considered the baddest man on the planet, but today you hear about the weak state the HWT division was as he came up, etc. 

Are there any legitimate arguments like this regarding his run without diminishing the accomplishment?

The only thing that people really talk about is his one loss during his redshirt year.  Not really a blemish though. 

People may say that he didn't have a lot of top quality opponents, but I think he was just that much better. He only had like one or two wins his senior year that he did not bonus. He handled John Trendge a couple times pretty easily. My mind is blank right now but his opponent from West Virginia at the time was very good and he hammered him too.  I am not positive, but I think he also beat Pendleton a few times as well. The other thing to consider is I think a lot of guys moved away from Cael.

Irregardless to wrestle 159 matches and never lose is insane to think about. That is winning when sick, dinged up, having an off day, not getting caught, etc. Guys today don't wrestle as man matches. I'm not sure Cael even really had any controversial wins, like say Steiber. Cael was just purely dominant his Junior and Senior year. 

Back then it also wasn't like it is today where guys are held out at times for big matches. I don't think he ever missed a single match. The only person I feel could even be in the discussion with what Cael did in college is Dake. Dake had a loss or two his Freshman year.  However, I don't remember him ever missing a match against a top opponent, and he beat some really good guys (i.e. Taylor). IMO, Cael was the best collegiate wrestler of all time and Dake is a very close second. If you split hairs Dake may not have ever had a loss if he would have had a redshirt/greyshirt. He did win it in 4 different weights and I think Cael won 2 different weights. Cael had more dominant wins against the #2-#4's than Dake, and he had more wins due to the number of matches wrestled. I think Cael had more bonus wins across his career as well.  However, that isn't always the best indicator; especially with Dakes style. I think Steiber and the rest of the pack are pretty far behind those two.

i dont think he was ever at pendletons weight, mostly b/c i dont think pendleton was in college yet

i agree i think guys moved away from his weight

and it is incredible to never lose in 159 matches 

Edited by GockeS