Jimmy Cinnabon

When was the last time OKST looked this bad under Smith?

1 hour ago, southend said:

Think back , at the time, and there was such an exodus of high school  kids from the Keystone State.  Pennsylvania State was having a hell of a time keeping their own, home. 
They all talked about the Iowa Way, how they liked that style, and they mimicked this in High School.  
The logical hire , at the time would have been someone with ties to the Iowa way, Brands for example.  
The odd , out in left field hire, would have been someone like Sanderson. Sanderson style of wrestling? Not a well developed ideology yet.Or didn’t have the notoriety in that period. 
So don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying ” bad” here. Hind sight says otherwise, but weird.  

I see it as just the opposite actually.  Isn't it now that Iowa is getting a lot of PA blue chippers?  Before Jody Strittmatter, Iowa never had any PA guys.

2 hours ago, southend said:

Think back , at the time, and there was such an exodus of high school  kids from the Keystone State.  Pennsylvania State was having a hell of a time keeping their own, home. 
They all talked about the Iowa Way, how they liked that style, and they mimicked this in High School.  
The logical hire , at the time would have been someone with ties to the Iowa way, Brands for example.  
The odd , out in left field hire, would have been someone like Sanderson. Sanderson style of wrestling? Not a well developed ideology yet.Or didn’t have the notoriety in that period. 
So don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying ” bad” here. Hind sight says otherwise, but weird.  

Interesting, wasn't aware of that narrative at the time. Would've been pretty weird if they'd hired Terry Brands, lol. 

34 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

People need to stop complaining.  Jimmy C give the people 3 pages of what they want.   60% of the time, every time.

I've never had any problem with JimmyC and he comes up with interesting threads. I guess there are some guys here betting on matches or something who are pissed he didn't pay them, but I don't know many details, just piecing it together from comments I read. 

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I've never had any problem with JimmyC and he comes up with interesting threads. I guess there are some guys here betting on matches or something who are pissed he didn't pay them, but I don't know many details, just piecing it together from comments I read. 

He welshed on quite a few bets with folks.  Seems lame to me but this is just an internet chat room when it's all said and done...

25 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

He welshed on quite a few bets with folks.  Seems lame to me but this is just an internet chat room when it's all said and done...

I’m still shocked that people actually thought he was going to pay those bets, and it has gotten the reaction it has. 

any grown man who would place a bet on a forum probably needs someone to sit him down and explain some things to him...

but, flapjack did make a big deal out of it... flapjack did make these bets... 

right or wrong they had a deal... and the law says, "Bust a deal... face the Wheel!"

16 hours ago, TobusRex said:

To the guys who think I'm crazy for saying John Smith SHOULD be feeling the heat I have this to offer: do you think he earned a lifetime job at OSU (at taxpayer expense, btw, because he is an employee of the state of Oklahoma) because of his achievements in international wrestling, regardless of his results? That's essentially what you are saying. Frankly, I think Oklahoma State wrestling is better than that.

I dunno, but hasn't he ALSO been very successful as a coach?

56 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I dunno, but hasn't he ALSO been very successful as a coach?, 

Sure, but OSU seemingly keeps falling further and further behind. John hasn't won any team titles in a long time. Tommy Chesbro was let go after a dry spell about long as John's, and he was competing against Gable.  I don't know, maybe nobody could do any better. but I strongly suspect OSU needs new blood. Maybe John needs new blood, lol. Something needs to be shaken up in Stillwater though because I'm a pretty patient fan and even I'm getting antsy. 

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Sure, but OSU seemingly keeps falling further and further behind. John hasn't won any team titles in a long time. Tommy Chesbro was let go after a dry spell about long as John's, and he was competing against Gable.  I don't know, maybe nobody could do any better. but I strongly suspect OSU needs new blood. Maybe John needs new blood, lol. Something needs to be shaken up in Stillwater though because I'm a pretty patient fan and even I'm getting antsy. 

Agreed, sometimes the obvious is not the easiest to see, when you have a legend standing in front of you. And not the easiest to make a change. No doubt a damned if you do and dammed if you don’t situation for the athletics director. So the easiest thing to do is? You guessed it! Nothing. Hope things work out smoothly.

1.either John has a miraculous up turn in team performance 

2. John takes the initiative, steps down and helps with a new hire

18 hours ago, osufan12 said:

As an OSU fan the notion of replacing John Smith with Jordan Oliver is about as dumb of a thing as I can think. 

John felt the heat and made changes to the coaching staff and since then their recruiting has grown by leaps and bounds. They have two monster classes coming in. John has earned more than enough goodwill to see those classes through. If we are sitting here in four years and things haven't gone a ton better than yeah, conversations probably need to begin. Right now it is dumb. Everyone knew this year was going to be down. 

I hope you are right about these incoming boys. OSU needs to start winning again, and the sooner the better. 

11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Never seen a site limit them like this one. Once you use up the limit, got to wait, lol

Well reputation is very important on this site. We wouldn't want people going around "liking" comments all willy nilly.

I’ve been reading this thread over the past day or so and it’s very interesting to me. I still believe John has accomplished enough as a coach to walk away on his own terms. But with that being said, there are some guys finding extreme success that have ties to okie state. One name I’m surprised I haven’t seen in this thread is Pat Popolizio. He’s built an awesome program at NC State. He’s not only recruiting well in Pennsylvania (Hidlay brothers), but he’s one hell of a developer as well. It would be hard to find another coach that’s taken a 1 time state champion from North Carolina and turned the kid into a national champion. 

Obviously I’m just some guy on a message board. But I think the osu brass would be making a mistake to overlook Popolizio when it comes time to move on from John.  

27 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I’ve been reading this thread over the past day or so and it’s very interesting to me. I still believe John has accomplished enough as a coach to walk away on his own terms. But with that being said, there are some guys finding extreme success that have ties to okie state. One name I’m surprised I haven’t seen in this thread is Pat Popolizio. He’s built an awesome program at NC State. He’s not only recruiting well in Pennsylvania (Hidlay brothers), but he’s one hell of a developer as well. It would be hard to find another coach that’s taken a 1 time state champion from North Carolina and turned the kid into a national champion. 

Obviously I’m just some guy on a message board. But I think the osu brass would be making a mistake to overlook Popolizio when it comes time to move on from John.  

And that’s another point, when it comes time to move on.  Pat is really making a name for him self at his present school, who knows in a few he’s knocking on the door of a top 5 program . Do you really think he’s going to flip to OSU? I don’t. I m not sure he would do it now let alone on 3-5 years from now. That whole situation in the Carolinas is pretty sweet, and a pipeline up the coast for recruits? I’m stayin.  
Remember when John wooden retired, Gene Bartow took over,Who? Bobby Knight got dismissed, Mike Davis took over, Who? Dan Gable retired........, I’m not going to follow no legend if I’m building and doing well here. OSU is not the pull it used to be, and at present not in the right conference.  

Just now, southend said:

And that’s another point, when it comes time to move on.  Pat is really making a name for him self at his present school, who knows in a few he’s knocking on the door of a top 5 program . Do you really think he’s going to flip to OSU? I don’t. I m not sure he would do it now let alone on 3-5 years from now. That whole situation in the Carolinas is pretty sweet, and a pipeline up the coast for recruits? I’m stayin.  
Remember when John wooden retired, Gene Bartow took over,Who? Bobby Knight got dismissed, Mike Davis took over, Who? Dan Gable retired........, I’m not going to follow no legend if I’m building and doing well here. OSU is not the pull it used to be, and at present not in the right conference.  

This is all 100% accurate. I’m not sure I’d leave either if I was Pop. But I do think OSU has to try. Some guys just can’t turn away their alma mater and it’s their dream to take over there. If OSU makes their next hire without even kicking the tires on Pop I think that’s a big mistake.