Jump to content
malcolmJfromPA

No FRL today?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He did not break the rules. It certainly says something about his character that most of us disagree with. The fact that he willing say since there is no seeding criteria, he can just do whatever he wants that favors him is a clear example of rigging the tournament. Although its not cheating by the rules, it certainly is not in the spirit of how tournaments should be run. The fact that he tries to phrase it all as a victim who has no other way of dealing with this because "them's the rules", is ridiculous and he should be embarrassed.

he gamed the rules admittedly for his own devices... if this was tax law you all would be cheering him and fighting for the next spot in line...

if he had spun why he did it and tried to crawdaddy out of it then he should be embarrassed...

he did not and he should not...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LJB said:

of course it is greasy...

of course the rule should be changed...

dresser is still not wrong and i got a kick out of him saying it...

and trust me, i am no "fan" of his personally...

If he had just been like "yeah, I did it.  Whatever."  I would be with you.  But he tried to have it both ways.  He tried to paint himself as if he was doing it for the NCAA's own good.  And that not only was it intentional, but, you know, also unintentional because of car accidents and people being sick enough ONLY to not wrestle the starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LJB said:

he gamed the rules admittedly for his own devices... if this was tax law you all would be cheering him and fighting for the next spot in line...

if he had spun why he did it and tried to crawdaddy out of it then he should be embarrassed...

he did not and he should not...

 

He DID try to sneak his way out of it.  He said he gamed the system, but also "what is gaming the system?  When does that start?  And also it was bad luck.  And also, really this will help the NCAA know which rules need to be changed."  If he had just embraced what he had done, I'd be more ok with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LJB said:

he gamed the rules admittedly for his own devices... if this was tax law you all would be cheering him and fighting for the next spot in line...

if he had spun why he did it and tried to crawdaddy out of it then he should be embarrassed...

he did not and he should not...

He did though. He claimed that he is trying to bring light to this issue. Really? This is the most egregious way of gaming the system. He was so upset by this that he needed to abuse it the worst way possible. 

He states that a bunch of crazy circumstances made it so they had to forfeit.

Then he states that he wanted to do this to bring light to the situation. 

Then he states that this is the rules and everyone is doing it. 

Then he states that he takes advantage of the seeding routinely and its no big deal.

How can he be victim of circumstance, a beacon for change, a consistent rule follower, and also someone who willingly rigs tournaments all at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He DID try to sneak his way out of it.  He said he gamed the system, but also "what is gaming the system?  When does that start?  And also it was bad luck.  And also, really this will help the NCAA know which rules need to be changed."  If he had just embraced what he had done, I'd be more ok with it.

i felt like he did, but, i don't have any personal agenda against him that is painting my perception...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He DID try to sneak his way out of it.  He said he gamed the system, but also "what is gaming the system?  When does that start?  And also it was bad luck.  And also, really this will help the NCAA know which rules need to be changed."  If he had just embraced what he had done, I'd be more ok with it.

I like that he started the interview by putting Pyles on trial with the "what is gaming the system really?" defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He did though. He claimed that he is trying to bring light to this issue. Really? This is the most egregious way of gaming the system. He was so upset by this that he needed to abuse it the worst way possible. 

He states that a bunch of crazy circumstances made it so they had to forfeit.

Then he states that he wanted to do this to bring light to the situation. 

Then he states that this is the rules and everyone is doing it. 

Then he states that he takes advantage of the seeding routinely and its no big deal.

How can he be victim of circumstance, a beacon for change, a consistent rule follower, and also someone who willingly rigs tournaments all at the same time?

keep grinding away...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

oh, so you don't have any way of responding to that. Gotchya. 

i could go line by line, but, why?

what would possibly be accomplished by that?

you heard what you wanted to hear out of that interview... as did i...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LJB said:

i could go line by line, but, why?

what would possibly be accomplished by that?

you heard what you wanted to hear out of that interview... as did i...

Why? because you said you:
 

Quote

anyone saying dresser was wrong is what i take exception with...

So take exception @LJB. He is clearly talking from both sides of his mouth because he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Why? because you said you:
 

So take exception @LJB. He is clearly talking from both sides of his mouth because he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

you are incorrect...

quit being just a "fan"... quit being so emotional about it and look at it for what it was... he took advantage of crap rules for his kids and ultimately his own personal interests... 

he was not wrong... he was in fact very right... 

and him laughing at everyone crying about it amuses me greatly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LJB said:

you are incorrect...

quit being just a "fan"... quit being so emotional about it and look at it for what it was... he took advantage of crap rules for his kids and ultimately his own personal interests... 

he was not wrong... he was in fact very right... 

and him laughing at everyone crying about it amuses me greatly...

So I am incorrect because I am emotional? I'm not emotional. Thats just an attempt by you to redirect the discussion.

Your argument seems to be that because the rules are crap, Dresser couldn't do the right thing. No he most certainly didn't need to rig it in his favor. That was a choice.

No one is crying here bud. Quit trying to ignore the issue by gaslighting everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LJB said:

you are incorrect...

quit being just a "fan"... quit being so emotional about it and look at it for what it was... he took advantage of crap rules for his kids and ultimately his own personal interests... 

he was not wrong... he was in fact very right... 

and him laughing at everyone crying about it amuses me greatly...

You're not really addressing the other things he put forward as defenses.  It's not like he came and said "yup, totally did it.  Suck it."

Another part of the problem here is Dresser's history with putting himself out there as some paragon of competitive virtue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

So I am incorrect because I am emotional? I'm not emotional. Thats just an attempt by you to redirect the discussion.

Your argument seems to be that because the rules are crap, Dresser couldn't do the right thing. No he most certainly didn't need to rig it in his favor. That was a choice.

No one is crying here bud. Quit trying to ignore the issue by gaslighting everyone. 

gaslighting?

no, you aren't being emotional at all...

dresser din't do anything wrong... he followed the rules as they are written for his wrestlers... your moral superiority can kick rocks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LJB said:

gaslighting?

no, you aren't being emotional at all...

dresser din't do anything wrong... he followed the rules as they are written for his wrestlers... your moral superiority can kick rocks...

"Me gaslighting? Never" *Proceeds to gaslight*

So you think its cool to rig tournaments then? No problem with that at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You're not really addressing the other things he put forward as defenses.  It's not like he came and said "yup, totally did it.  Suck it."

Another part of the problem here is Dresser's history with putting himself out there as some paragon of competitive virtue.

you claim as a "defense" is part of the problem...

i didn't find him defensive at all... i took it all as him just telling what he did and why he did it in every instance that was brought up...

but again, i have no axe to grind with him at all... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He says he followed the rules, but did he?

From the NCAA rule book Section 23 Tournaments - Brackets and Seeding

. Tournaments may use alternate methods for assigning byes in the first 
round of a tournament, as long as byes and/or resulting first-round pigtail 
matches are distributed randomly and no institution is unfairly helped or 
harmed by the resulting assignment.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

"Me gaslighting? Never" *Proceeds to gaslight*

So you think its cool to rig tournaments then? No problem with that at all?

someone give this man a hug before he breaks down...

 

 

dresser "rigged" a fake tournament created for the sole purpose of "rigging"... i don't have any problem with that at all...

 

 

but, really... get this man a hug... quick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's wrong in that even though the NCAA has not adopted a rule that will eliminate the possibility of this happening, it goes against the spirit of competition, and that's what we're supposed to be about.  It's not wrong in that it was an option available to him to give his kids the best chance at success, and coaches should do whatever they can within the rules to give their best chance for success. Whichever side of that pendulum you fall on is up to you. 

My personal opinion, I wouldn't want to teach my kids to try to find short cuts, easy way in, to get something done.  I prefer they learn from the failure should it not work out.  That's just one man's opinon.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LJB said:

someone give this man a hug before he breaks down...

 

 

dresser "rigged" a fake tournament created for the sole purpose of "rigging"... i don't have any problem with that at all...

 

 

but, really... get this man a hug... quick

If you think gaslighting makes you appear to have a position of strength, it doesn't. It just means that you are terrible at arguing. 

I think its fair to say that most people would disagree with you that there is no problem with rigging competition, especially if your main points are that you have no problem with it and I may need a hug.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LJB said:

i didn't find him defensive at all... i took it all as him just telling what he did and why he did it in every instance that was brought up...

You didn't see any contradictions in what he said? I already listed his points. Its the post that you chose to not actually reply to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

If you think gaslighting makes you appear to have a position of strength, it doesn't. It just means that you are terrible at arguing. 

I think its fair to say that most people would disagree with you that there is no problem with rigging competition, especially if your main points are that you have no problem with it and I may need a hug.

nah... you aren't emotional about this at all...

 

bring it on in, big guy... nothing but open arms here for you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LJB said:

i already answered that earlier... 

keep up

Your answer was not to the question. You replied with:
 

38 minutes ago, LJB said:

keep grinding away...

and

27 minutes ago, LJB said:

you are incorrect...

quit being just a "fan"... quit being so emotional about it and look at it for what it was... he took advantage of crap rules for his kids and ultimately his own personal interests... 

he was not wrong... he was in fact very right... 

and him laughing at everyone crying about it amuses me greatly...


Neither answers my post directly or addressed Dresser's inconsistancies. Clearly you don't know how to so you have resorted to gaslighting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It's wrong in that even though the NCAA has not adopted a rule that will eliminate the possibility of this happening, it goes against the spirit of competition, and that's what we're supposed to be about.  It's not wrong in that it was an option available to him to give his kids the best chance at success, and coaches should do whatever they can within the rules to give their best chance for success. Whichever side of that pendulum you fall on is up to you. 

My personal opinion, I wouldn't want to teach my kids to try to find short cuts, easy way in, to get something done.  I prefer they learn from the failure should it not work out.  That's just one man's opinon.

your personal opinion might very well be different if you were a head coach at D1 program that is directly affected by whether or not the kids you have coached and fought for all season make it into your conference tournament...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...