Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

With OkState having a sort of "off" year, what are the chances we see a lineup like this next season?

On 2/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, ConnorsDad said:

Might you share it perhaps?

He doesn't have anything. Ferrari is 100% coming to OSU. He signed his LOI and OSU isn't pulling any scholarships... it's against the rules. Then not to mention that Ferrari is wearing an OSU shirt in dang near every post he makes on social media, that he was at the Bedlam dual posting how excited he was to be there. It's ridiculous to think he won't be in Stillwater when he's supposed to be. Just somebody sowing seeds of discord for s&g's on the internet. 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:17 PM, MSU158 said:

I know there is some wishful thinking on a few guys being fully healthy and able to make the weight, but this sure looks like a lineup that could challenge Iowa and PSU:

125: Fix

133: Brock
141: Gfeller
149: Lewallen
157: Balmeceda(if he can make the jump after redshirting)
165: Wittlake
174: Plott-Doubt he could pull down, but would make for no holes in the lineup
184: Geer/Montalvo/Plott
197: Ferrari
285: Doucet

A healthy Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Lewallen would make for a formidable starting 4.

I think it'll still be Sheets at 157. Balmaceda is a 149 at best and he isn't going to bump Boo. 

I also don't think that Fix will go down to 125. 

If I were to bet on it... 

125: Mastrogiovanni 

133: Fix

141: Brock

149: Boo

157: Sheets

174: Plott

184: Geer / Montalvo

Hwt: Streck

I know this message board is pretty anti-weight cutting... but Plott is an immediate top 4 guy at 174 next season. The weight clears out a ton of talent, with Kemmerer likely being the only upperclassman in the mix. Ferrari also just isn't big enough to be a heavyweight. He's about 6'0" and just doesn't have the frame for it. He's also a nut about being able to control his weight... so he'll make the cut if it will get him the lineup. Only question mark really becomes who wins between Geer and Taco. 

3 minutes ago, Lee C said:

He doesn't have anything. Ferrari is 100% coming to OSU. He signed his LOI and OSU isn't pulling any scholarships... it's against the rules. Then not to mention that Ferrari is wearing an OSU shirt in dang near every post he makes on social media, that he was at the Bedlam dual posting how excited he was to be there. It's ridiculous to think he won't be in Stillwater when he's supposed to be. Just somebody sowing seeds of discord for s&g's on the internet. 

My assumption is it’s either a grades or conduct thing, if there is any truth to it. 

Just now, Housebuye said:

My assumption is it’s either a grades or conduct thing, if there is any truth to it. 

He got accepted to Rutgers, Penn State, and Ohio State. Also got a 30 on his ACT, according to an interview he did with True Wrestling. 

Oklahoma State isn't exactly Harvard... heck I think a 30 gets you at least a 50% academic scholarship. 

17 minutes ago, Lee C said:

He got accepted to Rutgers, Penn State, and Ohio State. Also got a 30 on his ACT, according to an interview he did with True Wrestling. 

Oklahoma State isn't exactly Harvard... heck I think a 30 gets you at least a 50% academic scholarship. 

30 should get scholarship to cover out of state portion of tuition, thus pay the full in state rate.

5 hours ago, Lee C said:

hey, if he shows up at OSU and has a great college career all the better...

i have no personal dog in this hunt...

i just no what the rumor is and it fits with past behavior and also made sense given what i personally saw... 

either way, no biggie to me... 

Speaking of AJ...has anyone ever seen a high school wrestler just take their senior year off before and not compete? I’m not talking about guys with injury or eligibility issues or guys who went to the OTC. Is he just taking some time away (burnout prevention) or is there more to the story?

15 hours ago, Lee C said:

S & G's? ****s & giggles?

15 hours ago, Lee C said:

I think it'll still be Sheets at 157. Balmaceda is a 149 at best and he isn't going to bump Boo. 

I also don't think that Fix will go down to 125. 

If I were to bet on it... 

125: Mastrogiovanni 

133: Fix

141: Brock

149: Boo

157: Sheets

174: Plott

184: Geer / Montalvo

Hwt: Streck

I know this message board is pretty anti-weight cutting... but Plott is an immediate top 4 guy at 174 next season. The weight clears out a ton of talent, with Kemmerer likely being the only upperclassman in the mix. Ferrari also just isn't big enough to be a heavyweight. He's about 6'0" and just doesn't have the frame for it. He's also a nut about being able to control his weight... so he'll make the cut if it will get him the lineup. Only question mark really becomes who wins between Geer and Taco. 

Always love the looking ahead to lineups for the next year. One of my favorite things. Thanks for your post here. I certainly have no dog in the fight or any inside info but you believe that both Plott and Ferrari will be starters right away as true freshman? While I'm high on Plott, I just don't put him that high. I think he's comprable to Abe Assad who even at a weak weight of 184 is, IMO, touch and go at best to AA this year. I know 74 clears out and it's certainly possible. By the way I am of the belief as you that there is no question Plott can make 174. By the way I watched Sheets match in the dual against Iowa and was really impressed with his top game. I think the guy is one who is blossoming later in his career.

10 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Always love the looking ahead to lineups for the next year. One of my favorite things. Thanks for your post here. I certainly have no dog in the fight or any inside info but you believe that both Plott and Ferrari will be starters right away as true freshman? While I'm high on Plott, I just don't put him that high. I think he's comprable to Abe Assad who even at a weak weight of 184 is, IMO, touch and go at best to AA this year. I know 74 clears out and it's certainly possible. By the way I am of the belief as you that there is no question Plott can make 174. By the way I watched Sheets match in the dual against Iowa and was really impressed with his top game. I think the guy is one who is blossoming later in his career.

I think that Plott has the tools to be able to succeed as a true freshman. I mean... he's the #2 P4P recruit for a reason. Assad was, what, #30 in his class? Assad is a very good wrestler and I believe he beat Plott in Fargo last summer, but Plott was wrestling up at a higher weight. 

Ferrari... yes I believe that if he makes it to Stillwater healthy, then he will be an immediate impact. 

I'm glad that Sheets got an extra year of eligibility and is only a sophomore this year. He's had to re-learn how to love the sport and I think it's really paying off for him. 

1 hour ago, Lee C said:

I think that Plott has the tools to be able to succeed as a true freshman. I mean... he's the #2 P4P recruit for a reason. Assad was, what, #30 in his class? Assad is a very good wrestler and I believe he beat Plott in Fargo last summer, but Plott was wrestling up at a higher weight. 

Ferrari... yes I believe that if he makes it to Stillwater healthy, then he will be an immediate impact. 

I'm glad that Sheets got an extra year of eligibility and is only a sophomore this year. He's had to re-learn how to love the sport and I think it's really paying off for him. 

I don't see putting two true freshmen in the lineup, that generally just doesn't work out and they have other options.  But they will know after Scuffle what they've got.  If Fix could go 125 for one year thus getting both Kaid & G in the lineup it could be a pretty tough team.  But there's still  of course uncertainty about where Kaid & G will be health wise next year.  

4 hours ago, ionel said:

I don't see putting two true freshmen in the lineup, that generally just doesn't work out and they have other options.  But they will know after Scuffle what they've got.  If Fix could go 125 for one year thus getting both Kaid & G in the lineup it could be a pretty tough team.  But there's still  of course uncertainty about where Kaid & G will be health wise next year.  

Yeah I guess only Penn State can pull off putting true freshmen into their lineup... 

21 hours ago, Lee C said:

OSU isn't Harvard, that's for sure, but 30 on the ACT doesn't get you **** there, except "accepted".

4 hours ago, ionel said:

I'll be kind of shocked to see Gfeller back next season. I like watching the kid wrestle, but he's lost nearly an entire season due to academic issues.  Can't remember the last time a guy lost a season to academics and came back.

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

OSU isn't Harvard, that's for sure, but 30 on the ACT doesn't get you **** there, except "accepted".

Got me a full academic scholarship 15 years ago... I don't think it's changed that much. 

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

I'll be kind of shocked to see Gfeller back next season. I like watching the kid wrestle, but he's lost nearly an entire season due to academic issues.  Can't remember the last time a guy lost a season to academics and came back.

How do you know it was academic?  He was dinged up/injured a couple times.

Just now, ionel said:

How do you know it was academic?  He was dinged up/injured a couple times.

Rumor mill. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the "inside dope" on the situation or anything. What injuries are you referring to?

6 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Rumor mill. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the "inside dope" on the situation or anything. What injuries are you referring to?

he didn't wrestle after he told uncle john he didn't feel good... was never back in the lineup...

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Believe ankle early season before he got in lineup, then injured something Scuffle semi, looked like limping like ankle again.  Didn't look right in finals and didn't wrestle again. Stuff I was hearing he was coming back but didn't so don't know if injury issues in practice or other.  Guess its a pick your rumor thing.

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Believe ankle early season before he got in lineup, then injured something Scuffle semi, looked like limping like ankle again.  Didn't look right in finals and didn't wrestle again. Stuff I was hearing he was coming back but didn't so don't know if injury issues in practice or other.  Guess its a pick your rumor thing.

He definitely  wasn't 100% in the Scuffle finals. Maybe he tore a ligament in his knee or ankle or something?

15 minutes ago, Lee C said:

Yeah I guess only Penn State can pull off putting true freshmen into their lineup... 

Sure it can work.  Did PSU start two true Fr this year, or what year are you talking about? 

5 hours ago, Lee C said:

While I certainly think Plott has the potential to be elite at some point at Oklahoma State and very good as a freshman, I don't think he's going to be elite from the get-go. Here are some things I see tthat may be against him.

1. He basically missed his entire senior season.

2. Having seen a bunch of his matches n tape and being at the Fargo final, I don't see his skill-set being any better than some of the guys who will be back next year at 174 at least not yet. I can't put him ahead of anybody in the top 20 right now and I'm sure Kemmerer will probably get another year as well.

3.  Unless he is made major gains since then, he's still going to be way behind as far as strength compared to most college 174s. One thing I think is in his favor in the long run is he appears to me to be taller and may eventually move up to 184 and even 197. He may have been wrestling up last year but I don't think either he or Assad at the time were full size 182 or 184. In fact both of them started in their High School career at considerably lower weights so I see them having the same type of trajectory although I think Plott looks like he's going to be taller.

4. Will he improve as much in college as some kids who go into college having wrestled less than him and who are our younger? I don't mean he's 35 years old but I've long had a hypothesis that kids who are much older than others do really well in high school but then taper off somewhat in college. There are obvious counter examples, Mark Hall comes to mind, and there are countless other but there are so many examples of people who do go to college in that boat that we never hear about and they don't pan out. It could be HEW, they were physically much better than everybody else and once they are not it is a blow to them mentally. I don't see Plott as elite physically at least at this moment. He's about four months older than Assad and a year behind him in school. Time will tell and it's an unproven hypothesis but one I would love to take the time to figure out.

All that being said from all I have heard he is an outstanding young man and I hope he proves me completely wrong. I will have no problem admitting I was wrong. It'll be the 203rd time today. I do think Oklahoma State's team next year is going to rebound and be where we normally expect them to be.