Sign in to follow this  
Show_Me

Coaches Ranking

This metric is 1 of 3 used to determine Conference AQ allotments.  The Final Coaches Ranking to be released on Feb.27 will in large part determine AQ's.

Based on the various reports, coaches are brokering "deals" to get their wrestlers favorable rankings for AQ purposes.

If true, should this metric be replaced by an "average ranking" of Media Rankings ?

I agree with Jason Bryant and Matt Dernlan (Rudis Podcast #124) that the average media ranking approach would be a better vetted & accurate method.

For those that say the media outlets aren't subject to NCAA accountability, how are current Coaches Rankings being held accountable by the NCAA ?

Thoughts ?

Edited by Show_Me

I like your idea.

Pick three top media ranking services and use the average rankings for part of the selection process. If one or more of the ranking services is significantly inaccurate over a two or three year period, compared to the actual results, drop them out of the process and add another ranking service. That will help keep them honest.

The A.P. use to determine the national champion in football before they had playoffs.

Now I realize that is long gone, but I don't see the harm in trying this for a year or two.

It's unlikely to happen though because the people at the NCAA (in all sports) are not in the habit of giving up control. 

40 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

What other NCAA Championship sport uses media rankings? Far more sports use coaches' rankings (albeit generally in an advisory role) than the zero that use media rankings.

The AP was used for quite awhile in college football as part of the BCS formula. They are still referred to on many accounts and it's still a major ranking system for men's and women's college basketball. In the end both the FBS and men's and women's NCAA basketball use a selection committee that have no current coaches and are made up primarily of administrators and commissioners. It may not be media rankings but it's also not coaches making the selections for the tournament. Does NCAA wrestling need a selection committee? 

10 hours ago, Idaho said:

The AP was used for quite awhile in college football as part of the BCS formula. They are still referred to on many accounts and it's still a major ranking system for men's and women's college basketball. In the end both the FBS and men's and women's NCAA basketball use a selection committee that have no current coaches and are made up primarily of administrators and commissioners. It may not be media rankings but it's also not coaches making the selections for the tournament. Does NCAA wrestling need a selection committee? 

FBS College Football has never been an NCAA Championship.

And FYI, NCAA Wrestling HAS a selection committee.

14 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Based on the various reports, coaches are brokering "deals" to get their wrestlers favorable rankings for AQ purposes.

Source for this?  That's a pretty serious accusation; I would hope  there is some credible basis.

Meh, get rid of qualifiers. It's ridiculous, there's, what, 70 schools with wrestling and 33 qualifiers anyway ? Just invite all the starting squads from all the teams. Tournament would last 2 more rounds (1 in champ, 1 in conso). More money to be made by vendors, more wrestling for the rest of us to enjoy.  

Good God I hate the keyboard on this new laptop. 

19 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Meh, get rid of qualifiers. It's ridiculous, there's, what, 70 schools with wrestling and 33 qualifiers anyway ? Just invite all the starting squads from all the teams. Tournament would last 2 more rounds (1 in champ, 1 in conso). More money to be made by vendors, more wrestling for the rest of us to enjoy.  

Too expensive.

35 minutes ago, red blades said:

Source for this?  That's a pretty serious accusation; I would hope  there is some credible basis.

Dresser just admitted setting up the brackets and he knew guys were gonna take the :01 inj.And you think coaches aren't emailing,calling and texting about coaches rankings.I have seen them personally.Coaches ranking needs to be eliminated

Edited by calot

1 hour ago, calot said:

And you think coaches aren't emailing,calling and texting about coaches rankings.I have seen them personally.

Ah, I see.  So you are the source on coaches rigging rankings.  Can we quote you on this?

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Getting more and more viable for D1

Edited by southend

6 hours ago, red blades said:

Ah, I see.  So you are the source on coaches rigging rankings.  Can we quote you on this?

By source you mean someone who has seen it with his own eyes  first hand yes.

15 hours ago, red blades said:

Wow.  I'm surprised that any coach would put something like that in writing (text or e-mail).

you'd be surprised by what gets put in writing when people "know" that nobody cares, only to be caught out when suddenly somebody does

There is a difference between “brokering deals” and lobbying.  

Lobbying is really just making tour case for the person to consider.   Did you know that each member of the NCAA basketball selection committee is assigned a group of conferences to monitor during the season and a part of this process is weekly calls with each conference commissioner where the conference shares information that they might not be aware of regarding teams in the conference.  

You never turn over selection to those outside of the NCAA.  The media is more likely to be corrupted.  They are not accountable to the NCAA.  

The coaches ranking is only one metric and any one individual coach only has so much weight in the ranking.  

Sure, I am not a fan of the selection system but I don’t see this one of the issues with it.   

On 2/26/2020 at 6:32 AM, TobusRex said:

It could even be implemented as a big pigtail round so it could be just 1 more round. Either way, it could help D1 recruiting at the non-elite programs. It would give more kids the opportunity to wrestle at nationals, which is a dream for many.

On a related note, I’ve wondered if there’s enough fan interest to support a second (semi-tandem) postseason tournament, kind of like an NIT for wrestling. Invite the nonqualifiers, maybe 2nd string guys and top D2/3 and slot them into brackets. As a more casual fan, I’m super unfamiliar with the programs that aren’t all over the news or this message board but a “wrestling NIT” could be a nice way to highlight rising stars and future bracket-busters. I guess there are already a lot of open college tournaments though.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:20 AM, red blades said:

It is 100% accurate. You see it at seeding meetings. It definitely also happens for coaches ranking that impact seeding