Antitroll2828

Good chance no Olympics

It was announced today that there’s a plan in place to cancel the Olympics because of the corona virus which obviously would be devastating to athletes of all sports but I think wrestling takes the biggest bite out of the crap sandwich if this happens. 

mutiple teams wrestled weaker or abbreviated schedules to accommodate some guys for senior nationals, penn state barely wrestling until January, Spencer Lee sitting the second day of midlands, watered down schuffle/midlands 

Because it was an Olympic year we saw Cassar get hurt in freestyle tournament and in the process more then likely ending the team race and his folk style career.

suriano took an Olympic and now it appears he won’t be going back to Rutgers at all because of some RTC drama and more then likely we don’t see him wrestle in college again.

125 would be a little more challenging for Lee, throw in Vito, Foley..seems Rivera season has been all over the place because of his pursuit of joining team Puerto Rico.

michigan pretty much punted a year basically for no reason if the Olympics are cancelled , they easily could have competed for a trophy....same goes for Cornell who started maybe 2 guys that will start next year

we missed out on having some all time great weight classes..could you imagine Gross, Micic, Fix, Suriano, desanto and this years version of RBY? Also adding Mehki with Bull and Cenzo instead of it being a 2 man race at 165...yianni vs this version of pletcher and Nick Lee...184 could have amine and dean to go along with the crazy depth that’s already there.

and in the end when the Cornona virus keeps spreading and they cancel the Olympics most of that will all be for nothing, and it seems it is a lot more negative for wrestling then it is positive...I’m not team Willie with the whole screw the Olympics but he makes a point when he says how dumb it is that we drop everything every 4 years.

11 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

It was announced today that there’s a plan in place to cancel the Olympics because of the corona virus which obviously would be devastating to athletes of all sports but I think wrestling takes the biggest bite out of the crap sandwich if this happens. 

mutiple teams wrestled weaker or abbreviated schedules to accommodate some guys for senior nationals, penn state barely wrestling until January, Spencer Lee sitting the second day of midlands, watered down schuffle/midlands 

Because it was an Olympic year we saw Cassar get hurt in freestyle tournament and in the process more then likely ending the team race and his folk style career.

suriano took an Olympic and now it appears he won’t be going back to Rutgers at all because of some RTC drama and more then likely we don’t see him wrestle in college again.

125 would be a little more challenging for Lee, throw in Vito, Foley..seems Rivera season has been all over the place because of his pursuit of joining team Puerto Rico.

michigan pretty much punted a year basically for no reason if the Olympics are cancelled , they easily could have competed for a trophy....same goes for Cornell who started maybe 2 guys that will start next year

we missed out on having some all time great weight classes..could you imagine Gross, Micic, Fix, Suriano, desanto and this years version of RBY? Also adding Mehki with Bull and Cenzo instead of it being a 2 man race at 165...yianni vs this version of pletcher and Nick Lee...184 could have amine and dean to go along with the crazy depth that’s already there.

and in the end when the Cornona virus keeps spreading and they cancel the Olympics most of that will all be for nothing, and it seems it is a lot more negative for wrestling then it is positive...I’m not team Willie with the whole screw the Olympics but he makes a point when he says how dumb it is that we drop everything every 4 years.

Of course there’s a plan in place, it’s called being professional. But the “good chance” is contrary to what they are saying. What they said just today was all indications are that it will be business as usual. But that IF, IF it is too dangerous to hold the games as scheduled, cancellation would be more likely than postponing or moving them. 

20 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Coronavirus is less deadly than the common flu, jeez. 

Tell it to those who die from it.

A lot more to be done to combat and treat it - even before seeing changes from the original infection type.

1735612472__P3M6159copySMALL.jpg.897a72ff493e46329a248dabaa319088.jpg

8 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I think they are now saying that it is 10%+

And it is spread so easily...

Haven't seen anything suggesting 10%, they actually think fatality might be slightly lower than reported because there may be a lot more infected cases in China that are not reported while fatalities are probably known.    But it's also been reported to have a fairly high R0 number compared to others in the past, hence why can spread so rapidly & such a big concern.  R0 perhaps in the range of 1.5 to 6.5 which is very high.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Your points are well taken and I appreciate the sentiment.  But of all the times for wrestling fans to play the victims, this is probably not one of them.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

Haven't seen anything suggesting 10%, they actually think fatality might be slightly lower than reported because there may be a lot more infected cases in China that are not reported while fatalities are probably known.    But it's also been reported to have a fairly high R0 number compared to others in the past, hence why can spread so rapidly & such a big concern.  R0 perhaps in the range of 1.5 to 6.5 which is very high.

Well, Iran currently has a 16% mortality rate from COVID-19.(or so it appears)

It is very possible that numbers are being distorted by governments, no?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-iran-s-reported-mortality-rate-coronavirus-higher-other-countries-n1142646

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-iran-s-reported-mortality-rate-coronavirus-higher-other-countries-n1142646

Including their officer who was in charge of management of this situation. 

10 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

They likely have more than 95 positives.  Did you read the full article?

Edited by ionel

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

They likely have more than 95 positives.  Did you read the full article?

OOOOh snarky!!! Did you read my full response?

19 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I think we are a ways away from knowing everything about the disease.  

4 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

OOOOh snarky!!! Did you read my full response?

I think we are a ways away from knowing everything about the disease.  

Yes I did and I dont see why that makes for a "snarky" response, it was a simple direct question.  There are multiple ways they could get the number of positives wrong as was and prob still is the case in China. 

There might be a possibility of relocating to another site, I doubt Paris or LA are Ready. I think Brazil has already destroyed most of their facilities 2016, China 2008 is an obvious no-no. So Sydney, Athens, or London, Likely London would be the best bet. 

Still, I think if Tokyo can't host, it doesn't happen - second cancellation for Tokyo, 1940 was to be there.   

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Maybe the reason I'm thinking it's less deadly is because I was looking at absolute fatalities, not on a per capita basis. Hopefully coronavirus will be the ELE I've been praying for (humans need to be culled)

That's because the spread of coronavirus has just started.  If you really have this disgusting belief, you need to get professional help.  

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

They should just hold the Olympics in the same place every time.  Like build a purpose built city just for that someplace so they don't have to deal with this kind of crap.

The problem (if there is one) isn't location, its all the people flying in from all over the world and then flying back home after making contact with all the other travelers.  It doesn't matter where you hold still have the contact problem unless only ones allowed are athletes. 

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Maybe the reason I'm thinking it's less deadly is because I was looking at absolute fatalities, not on a per capita basis. Hopefully coronavirus will be the ELE I've been praying for (humans need to be culled)

You really, honestly pray for an Extinction Level Event to wipe out much of the human population?