JBluegill133

Bajrang foot stomp?

I was watching the finals match between Bajrang and Otoguro from this years asian championships and at around the 5:32 mark, Bajrang uses his foot stomp snatch single technique to drive Otoguro out for a step out point.  Otoguro immediately begins slapping the top of his foot and his coaches challenge.  The step out point is taken away from Bajrang and the match continues.  Is this technique considered illegal now?  I distinctly remember Bajrang hitting this multiple times on JO in their matches.  

7 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Stepping on the foot always has been illegal in international styles. 

Hah, I always thought it was legal. Maybe I’m thinking or folkstyle rules but I though ppl had mentioned in the past that it wasn’t a penalty.

27 minutes ago, pamela said:

Hah, I always thought it was legal. Maybe I’m thinking or folkstyle rules but I though ppl had mentioned in the past that it wasn’t a penalty.

It certainly wasn't always called and it is legal in folkstyle. 

I'm not a freestyle ref, but i get the feeling that although this was illegal, it wasn't enforced. But now, with replay, it has to be enforced maybe?

Like in baseball, the shortstop had to be "in the area" to tag second and turn a double play... now he actually needs to touch the bag (due to replay)

14 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

The foot stomp should be legal. Take out the slip throw rule. FS is good right now but could do with some minor rule changes. 

I'm not sure a "stomp" should be legal, but I don't have a problem with stepping on a foot, as Bajrang did.

Regardless, Otoguru wrestled a fantastic match.

11 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I'm not sure a "stomp" should be legal, but I don't have a problem with stepping on a foot, as Bajrang did.

Regardless, Otoguru wrestled a fantastic match.

Agree, Bajrang is not on Otoguro's level

I had no idea that this was an illegal technique! He uses it four separate times against JO in the kolov match (this is when I first started noticing it)  so technically all of the points scored off this technique should be negated? (note this would not change the outcome of the match)

1) 3:26 = result +2

2.) 6:17 = result +2

3.) 8:05 = result +1

4.) 8:46 = result +1

Edited by JBluegill133

26 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

It’s always been illegal, but guys who were really good at it (yazdani, Schultz) were experts at making it look completely unintentional and drawing attention away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of like Tsargush and the singlet pull

the 1st foot stomp v JO was clearly set up perfectly with the small  steps with the right foot, then comes the stomp. 

actually all of them were clearly planned and executed to perfection. very enlightening.

Honestly I don't see any real problem with it.  It has the same effect as putting your foot behind the heel to secure a single leg and with Bajrang's pace it makes perfect sense.  Push the pace for 5+ minute and then when the guy feels like he has cinderblocks on his feet, take advantage. Good match tactics.  I just had no idea that it was considered illegal.

23 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

I had no idea that this was an illegal technique! He uses it four separate times against JO in the kolov match (this is when I first started noticing it)  so technically all of the points scored off this technique should be negated? (note this would not change the outcome of the match)

1) 3:26 = result +2

2.) 6:17 = result +2

3.) 8:05 = result +1

4.) 8:46 = result +1

You forgot about 7:20 = result 2.  It absolutely affected the outcome.  Bajrang scored 8 points off it.

Edited by Mokoma
Had name mispelled.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, JBluegill133 said:

Eight points doesn't affect the outcome?  In what world?

That's pretty amazing.  Good eye, JBluegill (and Makoma).  

My question is -- if its illegal, why isn't there a penalty point if its caught?  If the only penalty is to disallow the score (as with Bajrang), what's the disincentive to try?

Hopefully the next time someone wrestles Bajrang, they have an extra guy in the corner just to watch his feet and to be ready to throw the brick.  They missed it 4 times at Kolov!