JBluegill133

Bajrang foot stomp?

4 minutes ago, BAC said:

That's pretty amazing.  Good eye, JBluegill (and Makoma).  

My question is -- if its illegal, why isn't there a penalty point if its caught?  If the only penalty is to disallow the score (as with Bajrang), what's the disincentive to try?

Hopefully the next time someone wrestles Bajrang, they have an extra guy in the corner just to watch his feet and to be ready to throw the brick.  They missed it 4 times at Kolov!

We were taught to slap some things off. As to disincentives, it might depend on how often. Sometimes repeated use resulting in slapping will bring about a penalty.

30 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

We were taught to slap some things off. As to disincentives, it might depend on how often. Sometimes repeated use resulting in slapping will bring about a penalty.

That makes sense for things like finger-grabs but how do you slap off a foot stomp?  Just a finger-wag and a tut-tut, I guess?

Maybe we should spend more time teaching the foot-stomp single.  I mean, if there's no adverse consequence unless you're caught repeatedly -- and since, as the JO match (and Yazdani's entire career) shows, its usually undetected -- we should be doing this a whole lot more than we are.

If they won't change the rules, adapt.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

My question is -- if its illegal, why isn't there a penalty point if its caught?  If the only penalty is to disallow the score (as with Bajrang), what's the disincentive to try?

Hopefully the next time someone wrestles Bajrang, they have an extra guy in the corner just to watch his feet and to be ready to throw the brick.  They missed it 4 times at Kolov!

I too found it odd they didn't award Otoguru a point for an illegal move.

Not that I think what Bajrang did should be illegal, but if it is, don't you have to award a penalty point?

I can't think of another situation, in free or folk, where you'd take points off the board, without awarding a penalty point to the other wrestler. 

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

I just talked to Sammy Julian. He agreed. Yes it's illegal but don't call it unless it's really a stomp. And even then just wag your finger and give an attention. Then if continued caution.

Interesting.  I guess that begs the question whether you throw the brick if you get scored on that way?  They reversed the point in the Barjang match, but what if the ref thinks its foot-on-foot but "not really a stomp" -- then you lose a point for the challenge?  (Or is any scoring attempt using this technique going to be disallowed, if caught/exposed?)  Anyway thanks for insight. 

8 hours ago, BAC said:

5 times.....

I just talked to Sammy Julian. He agreed. Yes it's illegal but don't call it unless it's really a stomp. And even then just wag your finger and give an attention. Then if continued caution.

Wow, that absolutely makes me want to coach it this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Eight points doesn't affect the outcome?  In what world?

You're right.  I just meant even with the 6 points Bajrang would've won...but I  understand it completely changed the match.  8 points even moreso

Edited by JBluegill133

18 hours ago, BAC said:

Interesting.  I guess that begs the question whether you throw the brick if you get scored on that way?  They reversed the point in the Barjang match, but what if the ref thinks its foot-on-foot but "not really a stomp" -- then you lose a point for the challenge?  (Or is any scoring attempt using this technique going to be disallowed, if caught/exposed?)  Anyway thanks for insight. 

Absolutely throw the brick. It's one thing to let it slide because it wasn't a "stomp" based on your subjective view. It's another to verify that a rule was broken via video review involving several people but let it slide. 

It happens so quickly that people aren't focusing on the foot during the action. By the time they look to the foot, the offensive wrestler usually has that leg off the mat in some fashion. If the guy who was on the receiving end of the foot "stomp" called it, we'd see less of it.

All that said, I'm a huge fan of this technique and teach it regularly.

21 hours ago, pamela said:

Is it taught as a stand-alone technique, or more like “take a penetrating step forward this way and if you land on their foot, that’s a bonus”? It seems risky as the former.

It's very deliberate. 

Here are the rules

<<<<

Article 48 – General Prohibitions

Wrestlers are forbidden to:

- Pull the hair, ears, genitals, pinch the skin, bite, twist fingers or toes, etc. and generally, to perform actions, gestures or holds with the intention of torturing the opponent or making him suffer to force him to withdraw.

- Kick, head-butt, strangle, push, apply holds that may endanger the opponent’s life or cause a fracture or dislocation of limbs, tread on the feet of the opponent or touch his face between the eyebrows and the line of the mouth.

- Thrust the elbow or knee into the opponent's abdomen or stomach, carry out any twisting action which is likely to cause suffering, or hold the opponent by his singlet.

- Cling to or grasp the mat. - Talk during the bout. - Seize the sole of the opponent’s foot (only seizing the upper part of the foot or the heel is permitted).

- Agree with the match result between themselves.

- Grasping or interlocking fingers to block the opponent and prevent Active Wrestling.

- To spit the water out during the break.    

These general prohibitions are sanctioned based on the severity of the foul (disqualification, caution-1(2) point or verbal warning). Disciplinary sanctions might also be applied after the competition against the athlete at fault.

>>>>

On 2/29/2020 at 1:04 PM, pamela said:

Is it taught as a stand-alone technique, or more like “take a penetrating step forward this way and if you land on their foot, that’s a bonus”? It seems risky as the former.

We were taught how to do it deliberately and  also taught how to make it look like we were not doing it deliberately.  The technical part of it that i remember is grabbing the hamstring tendons with both hands and then stepping off the foot once the knee bends and finishing like a regular snatch-single.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, Plasmodium said:

Seize the sole of the opponent’s foot

completely illegal to seize the sole of your opponent. very odd rule.

as is this one....To spit the water out during the break. You must swallow the water!~

30 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

completely illegal to seize the sole of your opponent. very odd rule.

as is this one....To spit the water out during the break. You must swallow the water!~

Also, talking during the match!

On 2/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, pamela said:

I teach it. 

On 2/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, BAC said:

Based on the way the rule is written above about "treading on the opponents foot" then it sounds like even accidentally stepping on the foot would be enough to overturn the score. So you would definitely throw the brick. That doesn't mean the officials will get it right, of course.