Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Will this sell out?

52 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I think you will still be able to see. You're not going to see the pain in Cael's eyes when Iowa is taking the title, but the action will still be clear. ;)

From the view you originally posted I think you are dead wrong. That action will not be all that clear, you will be able to know 2 people are wrestling but all the small nuances will be missed and to me that is an important aspect. 

4 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

From the view you originally posted I think you are dead wrong. That action will not be all that clear, you will be able to know 2 people are wrestling but all the small nuances will be missed and to me that is an important aspect. 

Seem pretty sure. Were you at Grapple at the Gridiron? 

10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Seem pretty sure. Were you at Grapple at the Gridiron? 

Nope, just thinking seeing the mat in the end zone then looking at a mat 60 yards away doesn’t seem like a great view.  I’m willing to give it a shot, I just have my reservations. You on the other don’t have any doubts which is a little confusing. 

Edited by Ogalthorpe Haywood

7 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Nope, just thinking seeing the mat in the end zone then looking at a mat 60 yards away doesn’t seem like a great view.  I’m willing to give it a shot, I just have my reservations. You on the other don’t have any doubts which is a little confusing. 

You want to get up close and personal go to D3 nationals or your local HS state tournament. 

You want to draw 50,000 fans to the NCAA tournament? You want to really GROW the sport? Host the largest viewed wrestling event on any level possibly ever? These are the types of places you host the tournament. 

Don’t like the potential view? Sit on your couch at home and watch espn. No one is making you go. 

Edited by Witherman

20 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I already said maybe Im too optimistic. I am just not going to complain about something that hasnt happened yet. 

15 minutes ago, Witherman said:

You want to get up close and personal go to D3 nationals or your local HS state tournament. 

You want to draw 50,000 fans to the NCAA tournament? You want to really GROW the sport? Host the largest viewed wrestling event on any level possibly ever? These are the types of places you host the tournament. 

Don’t like the potential view? Sit on your couch at home and watch espn. No one is making you go. 

Thanks for the advice clown. So the idea is to just get as many numbers as possible without worrying about the quality. We’ll see how this goes but I think many fans will be spending their time staring at the Jumbotron. 

1 hour ago, Witherman said:

I love that everyone preaches “grow wrestling” and “we need to get on par with revenue sports”

and then everyone bitches when they actually put a wrestling event that will draw the type of crowds revenue sports draw. 

Even more, I love when people won’t allow any criticism and we’re told to just be happy with what we have. 

I hope for the best, but the originally tweeted photo makes it looks like 2/3rds of the stadium won’t be able to even decipher what singlet each wrestler is wearing. It’s ok to be critical of it. 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Thanks for the advice clown. So the idea is to just get as many numbers as possible without worrying about the quality. We’ll see how this goes but I think many fans will be spending their time staring at the Jumbotron. 

46 minutes ago, RavishingRickRude said:

Even more, I love when people won’t allow any criticism and we’re told to just be happy with what we have. 

I hope for the best, but the originally tweeted photo makes it looks like 2/3rds of the stadium won’t be able to even decipher what singlet each wrestler is wearing. It’s ok to be critical of it. 

Tell me - how would you two do things if you could do whatever you wanted with the NCAA tournament?

I am open to growing the sport, encourage it heavily. I am trying to understand how going bigger capacity and shrinking the intimacy needed to watch wrestling will grow the sport based upon 1 event over a 3 day period.  Our beloved wrestling is a niche sport that doesn’t get a whole bunch of media coverage. Media coverage and better marketing to non wrestling fans will grow the sport to drive us to fill large capacity arenas. 

Hopefully NCAA goes overboard on the fan experience away from your seats. Maybe allow fans to move freely to seats so they can better watch certain mats? A great experience will draw people back, encouraging me to spend money on seats w a bad view. I have high hopes. 

The other thing I’d like to add is that I haven’t heard/seen one single person bring up the experience for the athlete, which...isn’t what this is all about?  Imagine even wrestling in the medal matches when they’re down to 3 on that grand stage in front of all that crowd in that beautiful venue. Now imagine the finals. That is an amazing experience for those athletes. 

8 hours ago, Witherman said:

Tell me - how would you two do things if you could do whatever you wanted with the NCAA tournament?

To me it’s not necessarily about breaking attendance records because that’s what this has turned into. Since you asked I would configure the stadium so that people could make out whose wearing the green and red ankle bands from where they are sitting. From the pictures shown in this thread I don’t think someone with mediocre to bad seats could do that. Think if Nebraska and Ohio St were both wearing red singlets you may not know whose scoring points. And by the way I’m not going, I will be watching from my couch. 

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

To me it’s not necessarily about breaking attendance records because that’s what this has turned into. Since you asked I would configure the stadium so that people could make out whose wearing the green and red ankle bands from where they are sitting. From the pictures shown in this thread I don’t think someone with mediocre to bad seats could do that. Think if Nebraska and Ohio St were both wearing red singlets you may not know whose scoring points. And by the way I’m not going, I will be watching from my couch. 

To me, it's about the average person being able to buy tickets and watch in person. It is extremely difficult to get tickets for the tournament these days. I went last year, didn't have tickets before hand and had to buy on the street, not ideal when traveling far to go. It was near impossible to buy unless you know somebody (admin's, coaches, wrestlers etc). I know going in that the views are going to be a challenge, so I plan on having fun no matter what.

It would be a great idea to elevate the mats on stages, but that doesn't look like what they are doing.  Maybe the finals though.    

16 hours ago, Witherman said:

Great point.  Which is why I will sit home and watch.  I never understood folks who went to the final four only to sit in the nosebleeds, just to say you were there.  

Wrestling is all about proximity, in my perspective.  Who wants to sit 60 yds away and have to watch the big screen to see what is happening?  I guess some do.  NCAA finals are plenty successful in 20K arenas.  

I will be in Minnesota.

However, instead of spreading out over the how football field, I would have set it up like Syracuse, and a few others, do for basketball Basically set up the b-ball court, or the 8 mats at one end and maybe 6-8000 seats in temporary bleachers from maybe the 20' yard line to the 50 yard line.8 mats as we currently configure them fit within the 56 2/3 yard width of the football and from the end line to the 12 yard line. Syracuse, using this format seats >33,000, I think an NFL stadium might go 40,000.

Oh, and end the season 19 days after the NCAA M-D1 basketball final

19 hours ago, Witherman said:

I love that everyone preaches “grow wrestling” and “we need to get on par with revenue sports”

and then everyone bitches when they actually put a wrestling event that will draw the type of crowds revenue sports draw. 

I dont agree at all. Equating "grow wrestling" with putting it in a football setting.

58 minutes ago, southend said:

I dont agree at all. Equating "grow wrestling" with putting it in a football setting.

Well stadiums are used for more than just football. It would make a statement about wrestling as a growing sport with a large consumer base though. Selling out a stadium would be good publicity.