Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Why haven’t the Ferraris been computing regularly?

Last I heard, AJ was recovering from shoulder surgery and wasn't going to wrestle this season and instead was preparing for Oklahoma State.

The younger brother was on the roster at Allen and competing. But Willie Saylor tweeted a few weeks ago that he was done at Allen for disciplinary reasons. Not sure what or why. Haven't seen anything since. I would think college coaches would have to very concerned about the younger one. He's only a sophomore and has been through 3 programs already.  

9 hours ago, Housebuye said:

What is going on? AJ seems to have been lifting heavy all season and it looks like his younger brother wrestled half a season. 

Any insight? Is OSU still happening?

House, I have a question and before everybody goes off on me and says don't be an old fuddy-duddy, let kids do what they want to, what's the harm, etc., I'm just asking ( I don't mean you House as you're one of the rational people on this message board).

1. Does anybody have any examples of any kid in high school who changed schools like underwear and was then successful in college  (D1)

2. Same thing for college. I don't mean one transfer but somebody who was at 3-4 schools. I realize it's a lot more difficult in college but I thought maybe there are some.

There may be some examples but I just can't think of any. To me the constant movement and upheaval just does not lend itself to consistent training. I reecently saw a match between Jesse Vasquez and Luca Wick in California. Vasquez won on a late takedown 6-4. There's no shame in a close match with Wick but some things really stood out to me.

1. Vasquez chose neutral going into the third. That's not the end of the world and may or may not have anything to do with his training but I was surprised

2. He also looked much softer than Wick who obviously has been in the weight room.

3. Granted he's got skills you can't teach, quickness, athleticism,  etc. but in my opinion he looked a better wrestler two years ago. If I was a college coach, I would rather have Luca Wick right now.

Here's another question and again I'm not pointing fingers at anybody I'm just asking. Is it possible kids who voluntarily change schools constantly in high school tend to have an inflated opinion of themselves and their abilities & don't train as hard? Before anybody says anything, I DO NOT put rhe older Ferrari in this group. He made a smart decision to go to Blair and something happened and it didnt work out. For whatever reasons he had to leave and now he's back home and hurt this year but by all accounts he's an incredibly hard worker

There's also several other cases of high school kids doing the same thing (changing schools voluntarily) currently ongoing and even some who are now in college. I'm not hoping any of these kids fail I just think that they have made it harder on themselves by bouncing around. Thoughts? Opinions? Am I a ****ing idiot?

22 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

When I see Aj Ferrari, I'm reminded of a young Scott Winston. 

People love to bash on Winston but he took a shot and followed his HS coach to Rutgers and try to jump start a program that was running like a D3 school. Look at where Rutgers is now and Winston going there helped them tremendously. Winston never placed but he was a round of 12 2x and a 4x qualifier with over 100 collegiate wins. Hate when people compare him to guys that never did anything in college.

1 hour ago, moveurfeet32 said:

People love to bash on Winston but he took a shot and followed his HS coach to Rutgers and try to jump start a program that was running like a D3 school. Look at where Rutgers is now and Winston going there helped them tremendously. Winston never placed but he was a round of 12 2x and a 4x qualifier with over 100 collegiate wins. Hate when people compare him to guys that never did anything in college.

I like Scott a lot, never said he wasn't a good wrestler. I wrestled against Jackson quite a bit in HS. I think he had a tremendous physical advantage while in HS along with some pretty good technique. In college, the competition caught up and surpassed him. It's not a huge deal, really, it happens.

And this is just my opinion as well but Rutgers would be much better off with a new HC. Gooddale is a good promoter/administrative type though, I'll give him that.

Yes, it was awesome that they had 2 national champs last year. Very impressive. AA getting a sixth year and Suriano transfering in definitely benefited the program, tremendously. I'm not being facetious either, I was very happy for them. But last year may prove to be a outlier. This year's team performance is more on par with most of Rutgers teams of the last 10 years. Maybe worse.

1 hour ago, Cementmixer103 said:

I like Scott a lot, never said he wasn't a good wrestler. I wrestled against Jackson quite a bit in HS. I think he had a tremendous physical advantage while in HS along with some pretty good technique. In college, the competition caught up and surpassed him. It's not a huge deal, really, it happens.

He was definitely a step above a lot of guys physically in high school and even though he wasn’t a great mat wrestler but he didn’t need to be because he could takedown everyone else , I agree though the lack of college coaching experience definitely hurt him along with a few injuries, that being said him going to Rutgers jump started there rebuild in a big way 

I am not sure I can count Ferrari at Bergen as the third school.  There was a Blair issue that was more of a “zero tolerance” and I wouldn’t hold that against a HS freshman.  

I grew up in Bergen County NJ, graduated from Bergen Catholic and was a former wrestler there.  If they wanted to get a house near Bergen Catholic, it would cost them three times as much for a house big enough for 5 kids without going 2 to a room.  Family income would need to be 170-200k to pay that mortgage and property taxes.  Heck, my mother needed to sell her house in Bergen county and move to Passaic because property taxes cost 1k per month on a 450k valued house.  And her mortgage was already paid! 

You will lose a considerable amount of money moving TWICE in the same year in NJ.  Considering the relocation is due to high school and not a promotion, moving back to Texas was the smart move.  

Lastly, we are talking about a HS sophomore.  Plenty of time to get back on track.  If he weren’t an all star wrestler, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  

BTW, I never met the Ferrari’s, and the closest I have been to them was when I watched the Bergen Blair dual at Lehigh.  So I really don’t have a dog in this fight.  I am just putting out some real estate perspective that aligns with their reasoning for moving back to Texas.