gowrestle

Nevills out Kirk in?

9 minutes ago, MDogg said:

I’m all for kids being able to transfer without losing eligibility, but not mid-season. The fact is Kerk spent time THIS SEASON in Ohio State’s room being trained by Ohio State coaches and training with (getting familiar with) Ohio State’s starters. He was allocated a significant amount of Ohio State’s limited scholarship money which they weren’t able to reallocate to bring in other guys mid-season. There has to be some balance between being fair to the kid who wants to transfer and being fair to the teammates and program he’s leaving behind. He shouldn’t be punished but once the season starts he shouldn’t be able to compete for another school (which means competing against the school he’s leaving behind) that same season. 

And nor do I think coaches should be able to quit one job mid-season and then be able to coach at another program that same season. 

A lot of this I agree with, except that September is not mid-season 

1 minute ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

So we have a Downey situation? He took 24 credits multiple semesters to get eligible. He now has 3 doctorates lol 

he did get himself eligible though lol he just refused to stop going to the bars and chasing girls so Brands told him he couldn’t wrestle because “he wasn’t apart of the Wolfpack” 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

he did get himself eligible though lol he just refused to stop going to the bars and chasing girls so Brands told him he couldn’t wrestle because “he wasn’t apart of the Wolfpack” 

Why be a wolf when you're an eagle?

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A lot of this I agree with, except that September is not mid-season 

He entered the transfer portal on November 1st, but I acknowledge that’s still not mid season. I don’t think anyone should be able to transfer and compete after the season (first official practice) has started. That was October 10th for Ohio State.

Edited by MDogg

I wonder if this will be allowed.  Can you imagine this happening in football or basketball?  Bad precedent.
The big schools could and would poach top wrestlers from the smaller schools in February.

If allowed, it would be the death knell of NCAA wrestling except for about 30 schools imo.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So he said, I actually don’t believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He just made excuse after excuse as to why he was a scumbag. 

18 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

So he said, I actually don’t believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He just made excuse after excuse as to why he was a scumbag. 

In his walk and talk interview with Flo when he said the whole brands Wolfpack thing he admitted that he would go to the bars and wouldn’t do all the right things, I felt the same way as you towards him for awhile but he owns a lot of his BS in that interview .

It will be interesting if in a few years the NCAA goes back on this transfer flexibility. First, remember that the NCAA rules are generated by school officials not by the NCAA bureaucrats. They enforce them.

I believe the past inflexibility was a reaction to schools "enticing" kids to their schools. It's possible it will start again. I'm not sure of the rules, perhaps they have put something in place to prevent it.

10 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

It will be interesting if in a few years the NCAA goes back on this transfer flexibility. First, remember that the NCAA rules are generated by school officials not by the NCAA bureaucrats. They enforce them.

I believe the past inflexibility was a reaction to schools "enticing" kids to their schools. It's possible it will start again. I'm not sure of the rules, perhaps they have put something in place to prevent it.

For sure if the NCAA continues toward a pay/compensation model for student athletes.

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

that's not the point @BigTenFanboy was making. he was saying that if Nevills loses a wrestle-off, he isn't getting screwed by being benched.

see also, berreyesa at cornell if womack is ready to go for EIWA imo

Anyway, there are a lot of things going on and "screwed" is a very blunt way of looking at it. If Nevills was getting his shirt pulled with the promise of competition for the rest of the year, he was done dirty. I doubt that's the case, though. If he knew Kirk/Penn State was trying to get his eligibility cleared up before the tournaments, and it happens, he will obviously be disappointed but it isn't a screwjob.

ok point well taken

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

He entered the transfer portal on November 1st, but I acknowledge that’s still not mid season. I don’t think anyone should be able to transfer and compete after the season (first official practice) has started. That was October 10th for Ohio State.

My understanding was he was no longer enrolled at Ohio State as of September.  I could be wrong and if so I retract what I said.  I don't know about what date he entered the portal so again, maybe a case where I spoke without knowing enough about it to speak.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

While I agree, in the end, I think Kerk should be allowed to wrestle, there are clear differences in the situations.  Suriano was not seeking to be made eligible right before the postseason, which at least gives off an appearance that PSU has realized they are massive underdogs, and that's the reason for the request.  Lipari did not transfer within conference.  I also don't know what was the impetus of Lipari's transfer, but he was a RS senior, which also feels relevant.  Was he a grad transfer?

What if Kerkvliet told the coaches that he believed he is eligible and  wants to wrestle-off for the spot? We have no way of knowing how this came about, if it does indeed come about. I doubt this was a last 7 days initiative if it exists. There is no way it would have been a secret among wrestlers on the team.

And I understand everyone's concern for the Nevills family. They can make their own decisions about Penn State and the coaching staff. As far as I know they aren't asking for a rally on Seth's behalf. They will do what is best for Seth. I give it a very good chance that he sticks around at Penn State. He can still take a redshirt, wrestle with the best upper weights of anywhere, and get a great degree. Or he can go to Lock Haven and wrestle for three years. Would I let one of my kids trade a Penn State degree for a Lock Haven degree? Not if I was paying the freight. All I'm saying is, people look at this through wrestling eyes that are partisan. The Nevills will make a life decision about Seth.

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

100%.  

Although Cael seems to care a lot more about Rasheed than the Nevills clan.  

I don't think Beard has shown anything this year that indicates he would have more success that Rasheed. And as a side note, don't sleep on Rasheed in Minneapolis.

Cael care about all his wrestlers.  But its the TEAM first.  You can't get feelings about not starting.  At the end of the day its who's best and who's best for the team and the "Nevills clan" know this.  You think the same thing is not happening in Iowa? Ask Wilcke.

2 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

Cael care about all his wrestlers.  But its the TEAM first.  You can't get feelings about not starting.  At the end of the day its who's best and who's best for the team and the "Nevills clan" know this.  You think the same thing is not happening in Iowa? Ask Wilcke.

giphy.gif