gowrestle

Nevills out Kirk in?

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

While I agree, in the end, I think Kerk should be allowed to wrestle, there are clear differences in the situations.  Suriano was not seeking to be made eligible right before the postseason, which at least gives off an appearance that PSU has realized they are massive underdogs, and that's the reason for the request.  Lipari did not transfer within conference.  I also don't know what was the impetus of Lipari's transfer, but he was a RS senior, which also feels relevant.  Was he a grad transfer?

The idea that this is some decision that PSU made last week is almost surely not true. PSU isn’t trying to submit this at the eleventh hour. The rumor is that this waiver was submitted to the NCAA to get him eligible long ago. Probably as soon as he enrolled.  It’s likely that if it had been approved before Cassar got hurt that we would have seen the winner of a Kerk and Nevills wrestle off the rest of the way. 

Whenever Kerk committed to tOSU he said his plan was to wrestle this season. And this was when we heard he had a damaged ACL. All of the evidence points to this being the plan for him all along, before he even transferred, to wrestle this year. It’s not some last minute pull a rabbit out of the hat attempt by Cael Sanderson after seeing the results of an entire season. What is the most likely explanation here is that we are seeing the end of a process for Kerk to wrestle this year that started months ago.  

8 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

I guess that free education, top notch training and being part of national championship wrestling teams is "rough" .  We should all have it so bad.

What was so rough for Nick? He was a multiple time AA. A guy moved up a weight and beat him out for the spot. That guy won the national championship. That’s how wrestling works at every single program in the country. What happened to Nick Nevills at PSU was simply standard operating procedure. 

I guess that free education, top notch training and being part of national championship wrestling teams is "rough" .  We should all have it so bad.
When you're a high level recruit and multiple AA, yes it would be rough to lose your spot. Is this serious?
What was so rough for Nick? He was a multiple time AA. A guy moved up a weight and beat him out for the spot. That guy won the national championship. That’s how wrestling works at every single program in the country. What happened to Nick Nevills at PSU was simply standard operating procedure. 
Are you guys serious right now? You realize it can be a rough situation for a high level athlete without it being something negative PSU did to him in the case of Nick. The situation with Seth and Kerk is a little more negative towards PSU, I guess, but the thing with Nick can be rough without PSU being at fault.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

When you're a high level recruit and multiple AA, yes it would be rough to lose your spot. Is this serious? Are you guys serious right now? You realize it can be a rough situation for a high level athlete without it being something negative PSU did to him in the case of Nick. The situation with Seth and Kerk is a little more negative towards PSU, I guess, but the thing with Nick can be rough without PSU being at fault.

Your not entitled to anything you don't earn.  If Seth can beat Kerk then the spot is his.  If not its not, end of story.  If his feelings are hurt go wrestle for Cal Poly.  Im pretty sure he understands that which is why you wont hear boo from him.

21 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

Your not entitled to anything you don't earn.  If Seth can beat Kerk then the spot is his.  If not its not, end of story.  If his feelings are hurt go wrestle for Cal Poly.  Im pretty sure he understands that which is why you wont hear boo from him.

I have to agree with VakAttack here.  It's still unfortunate, especially being a 285, because Nick did not have the luxury of moving up and taking on the next guy, unlike most others who lose their spot.

21 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

This right here. Like any other weight you have to win it. You need to beat the guys in the room. This isn’t new and uncharted territory. If future recruits look at this and think it’s a problem that a guy would have to win a spot then I doubt they’d last at Penn State or any program worth a lick (Iowa, tOSU, Okie State, Minny, Wiscy and so on)

2 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Would I let one of my kids trade a Penn State degree for a Lock Haven degree? Not if I was paying the freight.

What about a Northwestern or University of Illinois degree? Asking for a friend...

26 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

Dresser begs to differ.

32 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

What about PSU 197 in 2018?  That was a case of Carl believing Tupac would get more bonus points than Cassar at Nationals.  I don't think it was a clear cut case of Tupac beating Cassar in the room.   Still winning the spot, but not in the traditional wrestle-off sense.

Edited by jchapman

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Who said he was entitled to anything? You guys are knocking down strawmen.

Regardless,  nothing is official.  Besides if Kerk gets the start this year or next Seth has to beat him to see the mat eventually anyway and who know maybe he can.

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

JoJo Smith at OSU, maybe?

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

My understanding was he was no longer enrolled at Ohio State as of September.  I could be wrong and if so I retract what I said.  I don't know about what date he entered the portal so again, maybe a case where I spoke without knowing enough about it to speak.

As of September 25th he was enrolled and planning to start at heavyweight for Ohio State right away. He said as much during an interview with Steelwood Radio that Flo and others covered.

What happens when Nevills transfers to be "the guy" at 285 for another school, Snyder doesn't win the olympics or perhaps even qualify and leaves NLWC and Kerk follows him again?

Could 285 be the new 125 for PSU?

13 minutes ago, MDogg said:

As of September 25th he was enrolled and planning to start at heavyweight for Ohio State right away. He said as much during an interview with Steelwood Radio that Flo and others covered.

Thanks. Good example of why I don’t like to go off “what I heard”. 

13 minutes ago, Boompa said:

What happens when Nevills transfers to be "the guy" at 285 for another school, Snyder doesn't win the olympics or perhaps even qualify and leaves NLWC and Kerk follows him again?

Yah also wasn’t Kerk recovering from a pretty significant injury not too long ago? It could also turn into a Kyle Conel type thing. Maybe Nevills will wait and see since he has a shirt to burn (I think) anyway.

18 minutes ago, Boompa said:

What happens is you (personally you) have a party and are overwhelmed with joy.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Are you guys serious right now? You realize it can be a rough situation for a high level athlete without it being something negative PSU did to him in the case of Nick. The situation with Seth and Kerk is a little more negative towards PSU, I guess, but the thing with Nick can be rough without PSU being at fault.

Correct. So people who say its Cael's fault and Cael screwed over Nick Nevills are wrong right?

15 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Under Cael you can argue 285 has been worse than 125 up to this point. PSU had one magic year out Cassar and otherwise has just had Nick Nevills who placed 5th and 7th. At 125 they had Nico who was 1x champ, 3x finalist and finished 3rd the other year. Combined finishes under Cael:

Heavyweight: 1x champ, 5th, 7th

125: 1x champ, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Both weights have had bad injury luck...Cassar this year at HWT and Suriano at 125 in 2017.

24 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Under Cael you can argue 285 has been worse than 125 up to this point. PSU had one magic year out Cassar and otherwise has just had Nick Nevills who placed 5th and 7th. At 125 they had Nico who was 1x champ, 3x finalist and finished 3rd the other year. Combined finishes under Cael:

Both weights have had bad injury luck...Cassar this year at HWT and Suriano at 125 in 2017.

FACT CHECK!!!! Lawson finished 6th at HWT 2015. And I believe they qualified someone every year but the one when Nick got hurt.  Not the same at 125.

Edited by malcolmJfromPA

23 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Jimmy Lawson left football at Monmouth and came to penn state and AAed in 2015