gowrestle

Nevills out Kirk in?

Here's my two cents. At least up until this year, and maybe still, in the Big Ten you needed a waiver from the school in order to not have to sit out a year. That was the big issue with Suriano was would Penn State grant the waiver (remember every Rutgers fan and Penn State hater on here screaming that Carl should let the kid wrestle otherwise he was screwing him over somehow even though he knew the rules) which they eventually did. It doesn't appear that Kerk has not received a waiver from Ohio State or else this would be a moot point. As far as wrestling second semester, assuming he completed all of his school work satisfactorily first semester and is eligible that way, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to wrestle since he's never wrestled in college to start with. That being said, and I don't care whether you're a Penn State fan or not, this is a tough situation for Seth. I don't know if tough is the right word but it's the best one I could come up with it the time.

13 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Definitely better than Mocco.

Probably better than Baumgartner.

Not sure though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Baumgarntner placed 3 rd once in High school  and Mocco went to St. Benedict’s prep and Blair 2 prep schools so he never wrestled NJ HS kids 

lawson won 3 straight the first heavyweight in NJ ever to do that i believe .

zach Rey only managed to go 4,1,1 

Baumgarntner placed 3 rd once in High school  and Mocco went to St. Benedict’s prep and Blair 2 prep schools so he never wrestled NJ HS kids 
lawson won 3 straight the first heavyweight in NJ ever to do that i believe .
zach Rey only managed to go 4,1,1 
Mocco would have decapitated Lawson.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

What about a Northwestern or University of Illinois degree? Asking for a friend...

If they had the opportunity to go and that's what the kid thinks is best I'd be all for it. Of course NU would probably be a bit higher tariff.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

What about PSU 197 in 2018?  That was a case of Carl believing Tupac would get more bonus points than Cassar at Nationals.  I don't think it was a clear cut case of Tupac beating Cassar in the room.   Still winning the spot, but not in the traditional wrestle-off sense.

Please share the details of their wrestle-offs. How many did they have over the course of the season? What were the results? You seem to have a lot of inside knowledge. Are you willing to share it?

9 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I can't imagine how a scholarship athlete in the B1G could transfer from one member institution to another member institution in the same season while remaining athletically eligible.

Probably the coach of the former team signed a waiver. I can think of a lot of instances where something like this should be allowed. For instance, say a wrestler at PSU learns his dad has terminal cancer with 6 months to live, but his dad lives in Fresno, California. That kid should be allowed to transfer to Fresno State if they'll take him, and not suffer on the mat from eligibility issues (long as he's got the grades and is going to class).

If Kerkliviet is better then Nevills he should be on the mat anyway.  I'd feel sorry for Nevills, and I'd definitely hit the transfer portal if I was him and I was benched in favor of Kerkliviet, but I can see Cael's point if he thinks Kerkliviet could score a lot more points at NCAAs than Nevills.  Cael is the guy pulling down the big paycheck to win championships, not me. But it would be a bit of a chicken**** move (unless Kerliviet makes the finals, in which case everybody will be calling Cael a genius).

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Here's my two cents. At least up until this year, and maybe still, in the Big Ten you needed a waiver from the school in order to not have to sit out a year. That was the big issue with Suriano was would Penn State grant the waiver (remember every Rutgers fan and Penn State hater on here screaming that Carl should let the kid wrestle otherwise he was screwing him over somehow even though he knew the rules) which they eventually did. It doesn't appear that Kerk has not received a waiver from Ohio State or else this would be a moot point. As far as wrestling second semester, assuming he completed all of his school work satisfactorily first semester and is eligible that way, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to wrestle since he's never wrestled in college to start with. That being said, and I don't care whether you're a Penn State fan or not, this is a tough situation for Seth. I don't know if tough is the right word but it's the best one I could come up with it the time.

Reminiscent of the Chandler Rogers debacle in Stillwater last year in a way. I still think Chandler got robbed, and I'm still angry about it. That man earned the right to go out a Cowboy.

5 hours ago, VakAttack said:

When you're a high level recruit and multiple AA, yes it would be rough to lose your spot. Is this serious? Are you guys serious right now? You realize it can be a rough situation for a high level athlete without it being something negative PSU did to him in the case of Nick. The situation with Seth and Kerk is a little more negative towards PSU, I guess, but the thing with Nick can be rough without PSU being at fault.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nothing is negative towards anyone. Two time AA Nick Nevills lost his spot last year and some thought he'd transfer or quit. His public response went something like this "I committed to PSU to train with the best and nothing has changed. I am staying at Penn State". And look now, he trains with NLWC. My guess is his brother feels the same way.

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

What about PSU 197 in 2018?  That was a case of Carl believing Tupac would get more bonus points than Cassar at Nationals.  I don't think it was a clear cut case of Tupac beating Cassar in the room.   Still winning the spot, but not in the traditional wrestle-off sense.

Actually it was. Shak and Cassar wrestled off before Big10's and Shak won. It was that simple.

Nothing is negative towards anyone. Two time AA Nick Nevills lost his spot last year and some thought he'd transfer or quit. His public response went something like this "I committed to PSU to train with the best and nothing has changed. I am staying at Penn State". And look now, he trains with NLWC. My guess is his brother feels the same way.
The Nick and Seth situations are completely different. Cassar just bumped up unexpectedly and beat Nick. It happens. Seth got recruited over. I'd bet he feels differently. That's just being human.

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The Nick and Seth situations are completely different. Cassar just bumped up unexpectedly and beat Nick. It happens. Seth got recruited over. I'd bet he feels differently. That's just being human.

Seth got recruited over just like Vince Turk and Jaren Glosser got recruited over. Just like Justin Meija and that other 125 got recruited over. Just like Cashe Wilke got recruited over. And who got bounced when Austin Desanto transferred in to Iowa, or when Pat Lugo transferred in to Iowa?

Next year someone will sit because of Jaydin Eireman transferring in. 

Edited by TBar1977

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

lol theoretically was illegal to recruit Kirk... but U23s happen!

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Seth got recruited over just like Vince Turk and Jaren Glosser got recruited over. Just like Justin Meija and that other 125 got recruited over. Just like Cashe Wilke got recruited over. And who got bounced when Austin Desanto transferred in to Iowa, or when Pat Lugo transferred in to Iowa?

I don't think Wilcke got recruited over.  I'm sure the plan was for Wilcke to perform better and to redshirt ASSad who could start next year.  Big difference.  

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

And the kirk case and the individual himself (kirk) is far more troublesome than any of those cases.

Edited by AHamilton

4 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I don't think Wilcke got recruited over.  I'm sure the plan was for Wilcke to perform better and to redshirt ASSad who could start next year.  Big difference.  

I am equally sure they knew Assad might have more upside than Wilke, hence he got recruited over. Glass houses.