gowrestle

Nevills out Kirk in?

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Homesick yes, discouraged is arguable.  He had beaten 1 of those guys, and it’s not like he immediately had a starting spot at UNI, in fact it looks like he’s not even on the roster.  Midseason transfers are pretty rare, if the Kerk situation played no part in it, you’d think he’d probably just transfer after the season.

But the argument doesn't hold water. Even if what you imagine to be true, were indeed true, why bail mid-semester on a free tuition? The only plausible explanation was that he was unhappy. You'd probably say he was unhappy because he was told his scholarship would not be offered in 2021. That's a huge move happening very quickly for someone that was happy one day, and being in an untenable situation the next. Although it is boring, perhaps there was nothing nefarious happening in Dark Valley.

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

How about another specific of this case--a college head coach using international competition to actively recruit an athlete on another team's roster, during the NCAA season?  That would be unthinkable if it were to happen.

Correct. So it would be prudent to have proof of such allegations before making them, no?

8 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

Correct. So it would be prudent to have proof of such allegations before making them, no?

Regarding Coach Cael Sanderson, this is not how this Iowa centric msg. board works. Accuse first, last and in between, then when asked for proof just muddy the waters.

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Regarding Coach Cael Sanderson, this is not how this Iowa centric msg. board works. Accuse first, last and in between, then when asked for proof just muddy the waters.

Is far from isolated to Sanderson, pretty much the M.O. in general.

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

source.gif

I'll be careful not to perjure myself.  

Actually it would be libel, not perjury. But then Cael would have to show damages and that would be a stretch. ;)

But my issue with the conspiracy theorists is that it would be all but impossible to pull off. We all have to admit that Cael has a good gig going. So to operate the way that those accuse he would have to bat 1,000. When he offered slush $ to someone that turned it down, they would have to never tell their new teammates and coaches. When he tried to illegally recruit another school's athlete, he would have to pray that he didn't get on his phone and text his coach that Cael just tried to convince him to enter the portal. For 10 years he would have to operate under omerta and never once have someone rat him out. Even all these disgruntled and mistreated athletes don't rat him out for flagrant NCAA violations and IRS fraud with the NLWC.

Come on Charlie, I can tell you're nobody's dummy. At least admit that it is just fun for you to throw those allegations out there and watch people flip out about it. I can respect that.

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Kerkveliet committing to 4 schools looks and sounds worse then it actually is 

he commits to Minnesota but they recruit Gable over him so obviously he’s going to go somewhere else 

commits to Oklahoma state but John Smith makes it known how he feels about RTCs and guys training freestyle during folk season, plus for all we know he told Kerk he was gonna cut down to 197, all and all a bad fit for a guy whose world revolves around becoming an Olympic gold medalist

commits to Ohio state , says of main reasons for going there is to learn from and train with Kyle Snyder, Snyder leaves  for psu  kerk follows him 

when you  arbitrarily Just say he’s broke commitments to 4 schools it obviously sounds terrible but when you look at with some context it’s not as terrible as people make it sound 

Sounds like a lot of excuses and half of this isn't even true. Nice try though.

1 minute ago, 82bordeaux said:

Actually it would be libel, not perjury. But then Cael would have to show damages and that would be a stretch. ;)

But my issue with the conspiracy theorists is that it would be all but impossible to pull off. We all have to admit that Cael has a good gig going. So to operate the way that those accuse he would have to bat 1,000. When he offered slush $ to someone that turned it down, they would have to never tell their new teammates and coaches. When he tried to illegally recruit another school's athlete, he would have to pray that he didn't get on his phone and text his coach that Cael just tried to convince him to enter the portal. For 10 years he would have to operate under omerta and never once have someone rat him out. Even all these disgruntled and mistreated athletes don't rat him out for flagrant NCAA violations and IRS fraud with the NLWC.

Come on Charlie, I can tell you're nobody's dummy. At least admit that it is just fun for you to throw those allegations out there and watch people flip out about it. I can respect that.

Thanks for the lesson, Professor.  I don't remember naming a specific person or place in my post though.

You caught me, I'm just messing around. But I do think equating the Kerk/Singletary situation to what Cael has done to poor little Nevills is incorrect. 

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Thanks for the lesson, Professor.  I don't remember naming a specific person or place in my post though.

You caught me, I'm just messing around. But I do think equating the Kerk/Singletary situation to what Cael has done to poor little Nevills is incorrect. 

Clearly you missed the wink at the end of the libel comment.

The connection is Ryan/Singeltary vs Cael/Nevills. I don't see much difference there at all.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Perhaps.  Perhaps there was.  Neither of us really have any idea which one.

I have no idea whether or not you are a habitual criminal. I choose to err on the side of you being not until presented with evidence to the contrary.

1 minute ago, 82bordeaux said:

I have no idea whether or not you are a habitual criminal. I choose to err on the side of you being not until presented with evidence to the contrary.

Sure it's circumstantial, but the "evidence" in this case was that Teske's transfer announcement was fairly sudden, and just happened to come shortly after a #1 recruit unexpectedly decided to come there in the middle of the season.

3 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

Glass half full vs. glass half empty.  With the way social media controls this planet, as soon as someone is accused of something, they ARE guilty in the court of public opinion.  If something can be perceived as nefarious, many believe it is so. 

My hat is off to you for your altruistic approach.  I would fall more in the middle on that approach.  I won't directly consider you a habitual criminal, but I definitely haven't ruled it out and will approach all correspondence with that possibility in mind!  ;)

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I have to disagree.  I don't think EITHER would have been offered anything to come  Iowa.  Would they have been turned down? Absolutely not.  But, Brands has been VERY vocal about scholarship loyalty.  Once committed to Cass, it is his to lose.  This goes all the way back to Tsirtsis when Brands first came back to Iowa.  He ended up losing Blanton to Illinois because he couldn't allocate the money because Tsirtsis was going to redshirt and tie up funds for an extra year.

Also, there was a bit of rumored bad blood with Gable after his brother left Iowa to go back to Minnesota.  I don't see any way that scenario was going to happen.  As far as Kerk goes, the fact that Iowa was never in on him IN ANY WAY over the course of 4 different schools is pretty telling that they were committed to Cass.

Finally, I am not convinced that Kerk is going to be that much better than Cass in Folk anyway.  I would assume the Iowa coaches feel the same.  As such, I don't see them tying up the money to get him to Iowa.  Now, if he came to Iowa and proved his worth on the mat, the money would definitely follow!

If Gable or Kerk came to Iowa and beat out Cassiopi they would be the guy. Plain and simple. "The only thing you deserve is what you earn." You can virtu signal all you want about loyalty, but thats not reality.

6 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

If Gable or Kerk came to Iowa and beat out Cassiopi they would be the guy. Plain and simple. "The only thing you deserve is what you earn." You can virtu signal all you want about loyalty, but thats not reality.

Did I not LITERALLY say that?  That was NOT the part I disagreed with you on.  Go back and read what I typed.....................

8 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Did I not LITERALLY say that?  That was NOT the part I disagreed with you on.  Go back and read what I typed.....................

Yes I read your entire vitru signal on loyalty. The only part that needed to be said was your last sentence.

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Yes I read your entire vitru signal on loyalty. The only part that needed to be said was your last sentence.

Not even remotely accurate.  You made it out originally to sound like Brands would ACTIVELY recruit Steveson or Kerkvliet AFTER they had Cass.  I wanted to CLEARLY state that was FALSE.  Now, if Steveson or Kerkvliet were to want to come to Iowa for no money and prove themselves, of course Brands wouldn't say no.  But, to be VERY CLEAR, there is a GIANT difference between the 2 situations and, in reality, NONE of those situations occurred, nor was there really a possibility of them happening................

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Sure it's circumstantial, but the "evidence" in this case was that Teske's transfer announcement was fairly sudden, and just happened to come shortly after a #1 recruit unexpectedly decided to come there in the middle of the season.

It happened after Meridith beat the number 10 ranked guy in the country and teske was probably told that he wasn’t going to be the starter 

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So what are you getting at? If what you piece together is true, the Penn State coaches are guilty of:

a. Being honest with their athlete about their scholarship at the earliest possible moment.

b. Not guaranteeing four years of scholarship regardless of that athlete’s performance?

Which is it you’re getting at?

18 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

So what are you getting at? If what you piece together is true, the Penn State coaches are guilty of:

a. Being honest with their athlete about their scholarship at the earliest possible moment.

b. Not guaranteeing four years of scholarship regardless of that athlete’s performance?

Which is it you’re getting at?

Correct.  I don't think they did anything illegal, but it really only came up in reference to Iowa "benching" Cass for Kerk if he wanted to go there instead, and people were saying Iowa wouldn't use up 2 scholarships at 285 and wouldn't take Cass's away.  We don't really know if that's true since it's just hypothetical, but it seems possible that PSU may have done that with Teske (although obviously he's not the same weight as Kerk).