tigerfan

Average poster age

How old are we?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. In light of the Reactions vs Posts topic, I started to think that the younger generation is reluctant to accept facts or feedback that doesn’t fit their narrative. But how old are we really?

Not sure how long here (on the forum not on this earth) but was here early on.

Will turn 70 later this year.

This will be my 47th NCAA. 34 in a row. Was involved in 22 (81 Princeton, and 2016 MSG but mainly 87-06)

Thinking back .... when I was working on my MBA ('95 - '00) we usually had to fill out course evaluation forms and one of the bubbles to be filled in was for age.  The groupings were something like 17-21, 22-25, 26-30, etc; the final one was 45 or older, which we all referred to as "The Dead Box".  During my final year, I moved into The Dead Box.

My son had just started elementary school at the time and thought it was really odd that the two of us were in school at the same time.  He asked me once -- he was probably in the first grade -- if I was the oldest student in my class.  I told him no, there were a couple of guys older than me .... but that I was older than the teacher.  He broke out into a big smile and said "That's a joke, right, Dad?"

Damn kids.

I hate to say as a forum admin/owner myself,  but as an overall medium message boards are dying a slow death.  Obviously it doesn't mean all of them but in general the communities on message boards tend to skew older as communities like Reddit (essentially a massive message board on just about every topic with much better tools for moderation and community policing) and Twitter are taking over the discussions for younger fans that were previously entrenched on forums. 

Forums are often behind technologically (heck our max size for attachments here is 0.06MB - that's like two seconds of music) and lack the tools modern software has.  Again there will be exceptions, but in general forum software is much more static than other online communities and that hurts them too. 

So forums will have a place online for a long time but as a whole they will tend to skew older and older while not gaining the newer and/or younger membership that is vital to keep the community vibrant and discussions fresh.    Happy Wednesday everyone!

Sincerely,

An opinion nobody asked for

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

I hate to say as a forum admin/owner myself,  but as an overall medium message boards are dying a slow death.  Obviously it doesn't mean all of them but in general the communities on message boards tend to skew older as communities like Reddit (essentially a massive message board on just about every topic with much better tools for moderation and community policing) and Twitter are taking over the discussions for younger fans that were previously entrenched on forums. 

Forums are often behind technologically (heck our max size for attachments here is 0.06MB - that's like two seconds of music) and lack the tools modern software has.  Again there will be exceptions, but in general forum software is much more static than other online communities and that hurts them too. 

So forums will have a place online for a long time but as a whole they will tend to skew older and older while not gaining the newer and/or younger membership that is vital to keep the community vibrant and discussions fresh.    Happy Wednesday everyone!

Sincerely,

An opinion nobody asked for

the attachment situation on here is ridiculously bad. I have something I posted a year ago, that I can't delete. Now my "max total size" is forever lower. I don't understand why there needs to be a limit at all.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

the attachment situation on here is ridiculously bad. I have something I posted a year ago, that I can't delete. Now my "max total size" is forever lower. I don't understand why there needs to be a limit at all.

The forum software they use has a lot of bells and whistles. I don't think they invest much into this forum though, especially with upkeep and such.

Yep, that was part of my point above about forum software almost always lagging behind.  Usually it's way behind the latest versions because people who run them are doing it as a one-off and are not IT people.  Moderation and upkeep are afterthoughts on message boards because the people running them usually don't do this for a living.  That's why more and more communities are moving to places like reddit where upkeep and moderation are in the forefront of what they do. 

And this isn't a slam on TheMat, this is universal for message boards.  Many of these communities have one board running on one old server for 10+ years and administered by non-technical people - by nature it's going to breed stagnation and a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. 

Edited by Gantry

7 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Yep, that was part of my point above about forum software almost always lagging behind.  Usually it's way behind the latest versions because people who run them are doing it as a one-off and are not IT people.  Moderation and upkeep are afterthoughts on message boards because the people running them usually don't do this for a living.  That's why more and more communities are moving to places like reddit where upkeep and moderation are in the forefront of what they do. 

And this isn't a slam on TheMat, this is universal for message boards.  Many of these communities have one board running on one old server for 10+ years and administered by non-technical people - by nature it's going to breed stagnation and a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. 

Yeah but the wrestling page on reddit is truly awful

18 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Or to say you’ve been posting for half your life (with the percentage going up every day).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... that sound you heard was a giant sigh ... or me getting annoyed at people interrupting my coffee and crossword in the morning.