Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Stalling is an epidemic in college wrestling

I have enjoyed the action. This has been a great tourney. I think a lot of fans that complain about stalling either don't remember what wrestling was like when they wrestled, or are victims of nostalgia and remember it being more exciting than it actually is. I personally don't want to see a ref decide matches. Some of the best action has been on the edge of the mat, so the pushout rule really wouldn't have made anything more exciting.

I have enjoyed the action. This has been a great tourney. I think a lot of fans that complain about stalling either don't remember what wrestling was like when they wrestled, or are victims of nostalgia and remember it being more exciting than it actually is. I personally don't want to see a ref decide matches. Some of the best action has been on the edge of the mat, so the pushout rule really wouldn't have made anything more exciting.

..I also don't like it when a ref ruins a bout, but some of the stalling (non stalling) from neutral is ridiculous. Block off, back out, hand fight without ever taking a legit shot, set-up, or throw.

..I also agree with the nostalgia comment. Nothing could be more true.

...the push out rule would work because the guys wouldn't wrestle the edge and avoid contact when put into a bad position.

..great wrestling throughout the tournament, just a few tweaks and it's as close to perfect as you can get.

Although a lot of the complaining is about stalling in neutral, the stalling that is bothering me most this tournament is the top guy jumping up and throwing in legs just to hang on when the bottom guy stands, especially in overtime. Stalemate this the first time and hit the top guy with stalling the second time for the repeated situation.

The freestyle pushout rule also rewards the offender this way: I back up all the way to the edge. You shoot. I play matador defense, sidestep the shot and push you out. You shoot, I score.

I like the pushout concept. The application needs to change.