Jump to content
SetonHallPirate

Qualifying slots and who earned them

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Thanks for posting the link.

I still think it's ridiculous a guy who finishes 9th or 10th in B1G can get an NCAA invite. Might as well just invite everybody.

Even though all 10 of them are demonstrably better than the champion of other qualifiers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Even though all 10 of them are demonstrably better than the champion of other qualifiers?

Even though.

The way I see it there are 8 AAs per weight. Plus, talk about rewarding mediocrity. Hell, WORSE than mediocrity, mediocre in the 14 team conference would be 6th-8th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Even though.

The way I see it there are 8 AAs per weight. Plus, talk about rewarding mediocrity. Hell, WORSE than mediocrity, mediocre in the 14 team conference would be 6th-8th.

This is by far your worst post you have ever made, since I've been on these forums(I wasn't posting but have been lurking since end of 2012). I never considered any of your posts as ignorant until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nhs67 said:

This is by far your worst post you have ever made, since I've been on these forums(I wasn't posting but have been lurking since end of 2012). I never considered any of your posts as ignorant until now.

That's your opinion. I guess I have higher standards. I don't think kids should be rewarded for a 10th place finish, that's just pathetic. Might as well hand out participation trophies to everybody. If guys can do so poorly in their own conference tourney and still get invites then they should just open the NCAAs to everybody, no qualifier needed other than being a starter on D1 team. Plus, I'd rather give that 9th or 10th placers "slot" to a guy who actually won a medal in his conference tourney, even if it is SoCon, or Pac12, or whatever.

Maybe you can prove me wrong. Can you name anybody who placed 9th or 10th in B1G who won NCAAs? Came in top 5, even?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

That's your opinion. I guess I have higher standards. I don't think kids should be rewarded for a 10th place finish, that's just pathetic. Might as well hand out participation trophies to everybody. If guys can do so poorly in their own conference tourney and still get invites then they should just open the NCAAs to everybody, no qualifier needed other than being a starter on D1 team. Plus, I'd rather give that 9th or 10th placers "slot" to a guy who actually won a medal in his conference tourney, even if it is SoCon, or Pac12, or whatever.

Maybe you can prove me wrong. Can you name anybody who placed 9th or 10th in B1G who won NCAAs? Came in top 5, even?

Considering individual wrestlers earn their conferences the slots, mediocrity isn’t being rewarded.  You are arguing for the mediocre wrestlers ranked 2 and 3 in the pac 10 and SOCON to be GIFTED slots because they won a medal in a horrible conference.  

If a conference wants more slots, the wrestlers need to have excellent records and place at major tournaments like Vegas, midlands or scuffle.  So I don’t understand why you are arguing for “conference welfare” by taking slots that wrestlers in elite conferences EARNED and GIVE them to lesser conferences for wrestlers who didn’t earn it.  

Sounds like a Bernie bro to me.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Even though.

The way I see it there are 8 AAs per weight. Plus, talk about rewarding mediocrity. Hell, WORSE than mediocrity, mediocre in the 14 team conference would be 6th-8th.

I mean if this is how you feel then the NCAA’s should only have 8-16 guys in the bracket.  

If the point of NCAA’s is to put the 33 best guys into a bracket, it’s reasonable to think that 10 of them could be from the Big 10.

To your recent question, I haven’t done an exhaustive search but just looking quickly, at 133 in 2019 and 285 in 2018, 6 of the 8 AA’s came from the Big 10.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cptafw164 said:

Considering individual wrestlers earn their conferences the slots, mediocrity isn’t being rewarded.  You are arguing for the mediocre wrestlers ranked 2 and 3 in the pac 10 and SOCON to be GIFTED slots because they won a medal in a horrible conference.  

If a conference wants more slots, the wrestlers need to have excellent records and place at major tournaments like Vegas, midlands or scuffle.  So I don’t understand why you are arguing for “conference welfare” by taking slots that wrestlers in elite conferences EARNED and GIVE them to lesser conferences for wrestlers who didn’t earn it.  

Sounds like a Bernie bro to me.  

 

Sounds to me like you are a huge fan of sub-mediocrity if you want to allow guys not even in the top half of their conference in NCAAs.

Regarding the "Bernie bro" comment, I'm not a Bernie guy. In any case, being a "Bernie bro" is a lot better than an ignorant Trumpanzee moron.

Edited by TobusRex
made it less insulting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Trampe is 8-2 on the year.  How the heck did he earn an AQ?  He doesn’t even have a ranked win.  Also, how the hell did intermat have him starting at 10th with nothing of note from the prev year?

26 in coaches poll and 8-2 80%.133 went 29/29/71.Has win over CR 29 Trombley who also earned

Edited by calot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

That's your opinion. I guess I have higher standards. I don't think kids should be rewarded for a 10th place finish, that's just pathetic. Might as well hand out participation trophies to everybody. If guys can do so poorly in their own conference tourney and still get invites then they should just open the NCAAs to everybody, no qualifier needed other than being a starter on D1 team. Plus, I'd rather give that 9th or 10th placers "slot" to a guy who actually won a medal in his conference tourney, even if it is SoCon, or Pac12, or whatever.

Maybe you can prove me wrong. Can you name anybody who placed 9th or 10th in B1G who won NCAAs? Came in top 5, even?

Look at 184 Big 10 with 10 bids.The Big 10 has 10 guys in the top 23.With 33 guys per weight you definitely want the 10th place finisher to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Sounds to me like you are a huge fan of sub-mediocrity if you want to allow guys not even in the top half of their conference in NCAAs.

Regarding the "Bernie bro" comment, I'm not a Bernie guy. In any case, being a "Bernie bro" is a lot better than an ignorant Trumpanzee moron.

It isn’t mediocrity if they earned the slot through win percentage RPI and coaches panel.  They earned the slot.  The conf tourney is where you prove it.  

If the pac 12 and socon want more slots, their wrestlers shouldn’t be mediocre the whole season!  the SOCON is the Arkansas of college wrestling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any insight on the Husker situation at HWT.  I see neither Jensen or Lance earned a spot and was expecting one of them to.  Does anyone know who is going to wrestle and how good a shot they have at a wild card if they cannot outwrestle seed to get an autobid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Does anyone have any insight on the Husker situation at HWT.  I see neither Jensen or Lance earned a spot and was expecting one of them to.  Does anyone know who is going to wrestle and how good a shot they have at a wild card if they cannot outwrestle seed to get an autobid?

Nebraska submitted Jensen instead of Lance for the Coaches Rankings (which surprises me).

Jensen has a #22 Coaches Rank which meets the threshold.  However, he only had a .625 Win Pct (5-3) & not enough matches for an RPI.  Thus, no AQ.   

If he wrestles at Big 10, he will have to place in the Top 7.  IMO, his Wildcard chances are not great if he doesn't place Top 7.

FWIW, Lance (if submitted) would likely have received the necessary Coaches Ranking, not the necessary Win Pct (.533), & did have 15 matches for RPI (although not sure if he would have satisfied that threshold) which would have potentially earned him an AQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

It isn’t mediocrity if they earned the slot through win percentage RPI and coaches panel.  They earned the slot.  The conf tourney is where you prove it.  

If the pac 12 and socon want more slots, their wrestlers shouldn’t be mediocre the whole season!  the SOCON is the Arkansas of college wrestling.  

Again, that's your opinion, not mine. I don't think people should be rewarded for failure, even if they "earned" a spot by finishing 9th or 10th. That's "participation trophy" type stuff right there, I don't care how people try to justify it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Again, that's your opinion, not mine. I don't think people should be rewarded for failure, even if they "earned" a spot by finishing 9th or 10th. That's "participation trophy" type stuff right there, I don't care how people try to justify it. 

I bet you really loved the days of the Big 5 having five bids at certain weight classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...