SetonHallPirate

Qualifying slots and who earned them

On 2/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, TobusRex said:

I think it's rewarding failure, that's it in a nutshell. Plus I don't think a guy who finishes 9th or 10th in a conference, even a tough one like the B1G, belongs in the premier event of the sport. Yeah, I know what you guys are saying, and it's possible the 10th place guy in the B1G is better than nearly anybody outside the B1G.  I get it, but I still don't like the idea of guys who are, basically, losers in their own conference getting a shot at NCAAs. Maybe it's too old school for some guys to get behind, but it is what it is.

Let's face the facts here, a guy who finished 9th or 10th at B1Gs will probably not even sniff AA. I asked for examples of 9th/10th place guys placing at NCAAs earlier and got no good  responses. Since those guys aren't going to place anyway, give the slots to wrestlers from smaller conferences who were borderline. Sure, they probably won't do any better, but at least it encourages those boys and their programs. In a dying sport, like college wrestling, I think that's more important than worrying about borderline B1G kids making NCAAs.  We don't have to worry about any B1G schools killing their programs, but a lot of small schools could look at the lack of any positive results on the mat and say "meh, **** it, we're done".

Anyway, you guys are free to your opinion, I'll keep mine.

I’m not sure about 9th or 10th but we’ve seen someone recently (probably many times), get 6th at Big Tens and then win the National title.