Cary by the Lake

EIWAs at Lehigh, 3/6-7/2020

2 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Thru 1st Round :

- 12 total upsets by Seed

- 3 wrestlers in Consolations that earned an AQ for their Conference

- Lehigh leads Team Standings

- Cornell goes 10-0 in round (including a forfeit)

•  

Cornell got three of those upsets.  And Tucker got a bye, not a forfeit.

I see Revano beat Cabanillas in their rubber match this year and rematch from last year's pretty crazy NJ state final, and wrestles the #1 seed Clarke of American next.

How the heck did Kolodzik not move ahead of Richard in seeding?

I am PUMPED for the quarters. So much on the line. Team race is very competitive, with Cornell looking amazing pulling off 3 R1 upsets!

They have 10 chances to get at least 6th place points. They legitimately can win EIWAs, although they are still the underdogs. They can also qualify more than expected if they can pull off another upset or two this round. It seems plausible. 

they are favorites in 5 (including 125 somehow) and are live underdogs in 3 of the remaining 5. Having 5 or 6 in the semis is possible for sure. If they get 6 or more, they are going to be almost impossible to beat. 

5 hours ago, Show_Me said:

In 125 Consolations, #3 Colaiocco meets #6 Treaster.  They are both AQ's.  Loser will not place Top 7.

Loser has a great shot at an at-large bid.  

The word is that Colaiocco is having problems making 125; grown some during the year.  That said, I've heard that Mininno caught him with a terrific move; Colaiocco led until then.  I was down on Mat 4 and missed the move way down on Mat 1, but I saw the hand slap the mat.

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

The guys at table three have been great.  No idea their audio is being broadcast' and they keep bitching and complaining.  The wrestling has been good too.

glad someone else noticed

On 3/4/2020 at 8:18 PM, klehner said:

Furman doesn't have a prayer of getting top three, sorry.  Lajoie has a shot if he performs like Cornell lightweights typically do at EIWAs; Santoro and Dawkins don't have a prayer, either.

How's that work for you?

6 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

How's that work for you?

I was watching Sullivan against Navy and as soon as he went down on that trip I thought "oh ****. this could happen for Furman." I'm so happy for him. Did you see his reaction when he beat Knighton-Ward?

So were there any big upsets after the quarters? Taking a quick look at results, let me know if I missed any:

Humphreys over Monday 7-0 

Phipps over Brucki 7-4 (semis)

Prince over Clarke (3rd/4th)

So were there any big upsets after the quarters? Taking a quick look at results, let me know if I missed any:
Humphreys over Monday 7-0 
Phipps over Brucki 7-4 (semis)
Prince over Clarke (3rd/4th)

Don’t use the seeds as guidance - particularly at 149.

Of those, I’d only call Phipps an upset. Humphreys/Monday were 2-2 against one another coming in, with both bouts this year being relatively close. Prince was the 2019 EIWA champ at 149, beating Kolodzik in the final. He came into the tourney with a 3-1 record, only one of those bouts being at 149.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Don’t use the seeds as guidance - particularly at 149.

Of those, I’d only call Phipps an upset. Humphreys/Monday were 2-2 against one another coming in, with both bouts this year being relatively close. Prince was the 2019 EIWA champ at 149, beating Kolodzik in the final. He came into the tourney with a 3-1 record, only one of those bouts being at 149.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was looking more at rankings than seeds.  I guess Clarke had dropped a bit recently though 

Edited by 1032004

Just curious, so I went back and looked to see how ranked guys did (wins against higher seeds, losses to lower- or non-ranked).  Thought this might be a proxy for
how well-prepared a team was, and/or how poorly the seeds were done.  Only looked at seeds 1-8 (e.g., didn't count if an 11 seed beat a 9 seed).

Lehigh:  4W, 5L

Cornell:  9W (!), 2L (both Womack)

Army:  2W, 3L

Navy:  4W, 3L

Princeton:  3W (two to poorly-seeded Kolodzik), 4L

The comparison between the Cornell and Princeton performances is striking.  The academies seemed to wrestle to seed, for the most part (I didn't count the Sullivan Injury forfeit).  Lehigh had a couple of underperformers (and a unlikely loss by fall), but made up for it by some upsets and serious bonus points across the board.