Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Lance and Colin Palmer Documentary - PINNED

Recommended Posts

Surprised to see they would do a feature-length doc about an non-NCAA champ. Not denigrating a "mere" AA, but usually the mega-champs (if anyone) gets this kind of attention.

Edited by NJDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Surprised to see they would do a feature-length doc about an non-NCAA champ. Not denigrating a "mere" AA, but usually the mega-champs (if anyone) gets this kind of attention.

Also probably has to do with all the brothers being great wrestlers and the dad being over the top. Crazy parents are good for TV because it pisses people off and drives views. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Surprised to see they would do a feature-length doc about an non-NCAA champ. Not denigrating a "mere" AA, but usually the mega-champs (if anyone) gets this kind of attention.

Pretty sure they finished this long before he finished at tOSU...  and granted he never won NCAAs, but Plamer was very, very good.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/four-time-all-american-lance-palmer-is-ncaa-championships-runner-up/ 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, thank you BigTen for sharing the link. I looked a while back and couldn't find it. I remember buying the DVD when it first came out in 2009 or 10.

I may be wrong but I thought Colin had really bad back injuries his Redshirt year, does anyone remember?

Doesn't he run his own club/youth program now?

And Lance has become a millionaire off of fighting. 

I'd say it worked out for the both of them. Their pops seems a little...intense. Haha

Edited by Cementmixer103
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leshismore said:

After watching the movie I see what the younger Palmer left wresting. The father is a piece of work.

What did Collin Palmer do in college?  Did he wrestle?  Did he complete his degree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ludwigdmd said:

What did Collin Palmer do in college?  Did he wrestle?  Did he complete his degree?

I was wondering the same thing. I know he followed Lance to tOSU and wrestled a bit his redshirt year before a back injury. No idea on if he graduated or not. I believe he runs a kids/youth club. Not 100% on that but think I read that on a Ohio wrestling forum a few years ago. Pretty sure they said Lance does some of his wrestling during fight camps at Colin's gym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

First off, thank you BigTen for sharing the link. I looked a while back and couldn't find it. I remember buying the DVD when it first came out in 2009 or 10.

I may be wrong but I thought Colin had really bad back injuries his Redshirt year, does anyone remember?

Doesn't he run his own club/youth program now?

And Lance has become a millionaire off of fighting. 

I'd say it worked out for the both of them. Their pops seems a little...intense. Haha

I've heard or thought the same about his back.  Runs a club in CBUS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, leshismore said:

After watching the movie I see what the younger Palmer left wresting. The father is a piece of work.

There was movie called "Man Up" about Pat McCaffrey. He was an Illinois champ and moved to Iowa and won one. I believe he went on to wrestle for Navy, but his dad made Palmer's look like father of the year. I havent seen that video for years. It was pretty shocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until watching this I was unaware of parents intentionally having a child repeat a year in jr high to in order to wrestle a  high school lower weight. Quite a contrast to my parents who were never exposed to the sport but very supportive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, herma48852 said:

Until watching this I was unaware of parents intentionally having a child repeat a year in jr high to in order to wrestle a  high school lower weight. Quite a contrast to my parents who were never exposed to the sport but very supportive. 

Logan Stieber, Mark Hall, and many others have done this.  It's not really a secret or uncommon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, herma48852 said:

Until watching this I was unaware of parents intentionally having a child repeat a year in jr high to in order to wrestle a  high school lower weight. Quite a contrast to my parents who were never exposed to the sport but very supportive. 

Does this mean in order for the wrestler to be big enough to wrestle the lowest HS weight? I believe that's what you're trying to say?  

Edited by Mphillips
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, herma48852 said:

Until watching this I was unaware of parents intentionally having a child repeat a year in jr high to in order to wrestle a  high school lower weight. Quite a contrast to my parents who were never exposed to the sport but very supportive. 

 

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Does this mean in order for the wrestler to be big enough to wrestle the lowest HS weight? I believe that's what your trying to say?  

Agreed, not sure what the lower weight has to do with it.  Generally, the kid will cut a tremendous amount to make the weight.  Holding back is common for many reasons, athletics being one of them.  A statistic I always regurgitate is Carl Sanderson, Jordan Burroughs and John Smith all graduated HS at 17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...