Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Lance and Colin Palmer Documentary - PINNED

13 hours ago, russelscout said:

There was movie called "Man Up" about Pat McCaffrey. He was an Illinois champ and moved to Iowa and won one. I believe he went on to wrestle for Navy, but his dad made Palmer's look like father of the year. I havent seen that video for years. It was pretty shocking.

I think the ultimate bad wrestling dad might have to go to the father of Cary Kolat. I haven’t seen “Man Up” but I’ll have to check that one out. If I remember correctly didn’t Kolat’s dad shock him with a cattle prod in their basement? I haven’t seen that documentary in a few years but I remember just being sad for young Cary while watching. 

44 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

A statistic I always regurgitate is Carl Sanderson, Jordan Burroughs and John Smith all graduated HS at 17.

Whats ridiculous about this now is that coaches and recruiters are much more informed. In the past, being a 4 timer gets you a full ride. Now there are enough national tournaments that you can go prove yourself in. Whether or not you won state as a freshman or sophomore is far less important than it used to be. 

3 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I think the ultimate bad wrestling dad might have to go to the father of Cary Kolat. I haven’t seen “Man Up” but I’ll have to check that one out. If I remember correctly didn’t Kolat’s dad shock him with a cattle prod in their basement? I haven’t seen that documentary in a few years but I remember just being sad for young Cary while watching. 

Good luck finding "Man Up" now. I can't find it anywhere. I don't know though, McCaffrey's dad was pretty nuts too. He forced him to live in the backyard with a hose and cans of tuna to toughen him up. He forced him to spend a summer training in Russia with a family that didn't speak English. He forced him to live in Iowa for a year away from his family and friends. Most of the video is Pat's dad yelling at and criticizing him while he goes through grueling workouts. All of this just for the love of wrestling I guess.

That kind of stuff makes me sick. I wouldn't be surprised if that video was taken down because it was clear abuse of a minor.

28 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Good luck finding "Man Up" now. I can't find it anywhere. I don't know though, McCaffrey's dad was pretty nuts too. He forced him to live in the backyard with a hose and cans of tuna to toughen him up. He forced him to spend a summer training in Russia with a family that didn't speak English. He forced him to live in Iowa for a year away from his family and friends. Most of the video is Pat's dad yelling at and criticizing him while he goes through grueling workouts. All of this just for the love of wrestling I guess.

That kind of stuff makes me sick. I wouldn't be surprised if that video was taken down because it was clear abuse of a minor.

Wow. That one really might be the worst (at least that we know of). Parents like that should be forced to go through the same thing that they put their kids through. Most of the time the parent is unaccomplished and trying to live vicariously through their kids achievements. It really is sickening. 

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Wow. That one really might be the worst (at least that we know of). Parents like that should be forced to go through the same thing that they put their kids through. Most of the time the parent is unaccomplished and trying to live vicariously through their kids achievements. It really is sickening. 

Palmer's dad is an outlier in that he freely admits this.

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Agreed, not sure what the lower weight has to do with it.  Generally, the kid will cut a tremendous amount to make the weight.  Holding back is common for many reasons, athletics being one of them.  A statistic I always regurgitate is Carl Sanderson, Jordan Burroughs and John Smith all graduated HS at 17.

I don’t think this is a fair comparison to most people who do it though.   The best of the best don’t need to do it (although I know Burroughs wasn’t that great at first).  Not saying I agree with it especially if it’s purely for athletic reasons but that extra year can make the difference between wrestling D1 or not.

Honestly perfect example is probably the other kid from this movie.  Looks like he had some success in D3 and is a D3 coach (https://www.bwyellowjackets.com/sports/wrest/coaches/mattcurley?view=bio).  If he was “held back” maybe he wrestles D1.   Unfortunately this movie is a pretty accurate depiction of the haves and have nots in wrestling. 

18 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

First off, thank you BigTen for sharing the link. I looked a while back and couldn't find it. I remember buying the DVD when it first came out in 2009 or 10.

I may be wrong but I thought Colin had really bad back injuries his Redshirt year, does anyone remember?

Doesn't he run his own club/youth program now?

And Lance has become a millionaire off of fighting. 

I'd say it worked out for the both of them. Their pops seems a little...intense. Haha

Not so fast. Lance has made $1.217K over 8 years. Taxes chew up almost 40%, and then there are also training and manager expenses. 

He’d be lucky if he was able to save a couple hundred thousand of that.

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think this is a fair comparison to most people who do it though.   The best of the best don’t need to do it (although I know Burroughs wasn’t that great at first).  Not saying I agree with it especially if it’s purely for athletic reasons but that extra year can make the difference between wrestling D1 or not.

Honestly perfect example is probably the other kid from this movie.  Looks like he had some success in D3 and is a D3 coach (https://www.bwyellowjackets.com/sports/wrest/coaches/mattcurley?view=bio).  If he was “held back” maybe he wrestles D1.   Unfortunately this movie is a pretty accurate depiction of the haves and have nots in wrestling. 

Big difference between D3 and D1. I don't think a year held back makes up that difference. 

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He wasn't doing the things required of a d1 athlete. 3 oranges in 4 days? Nothing good is coming from that.

29 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Big difference between D3 and D1. I don't think a year held back makes up that difference. 

26 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

He wasn't doing the things required of a d1 athlete. 3 oranges in 4 days? Nothing good is coming from that.

I mean couldn't part of that have been due to the lack of resources he had available?  

Russel, in all seriousness I'm not saying I think he would have been an AA or anything, or even a starter at a top 25 school, but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe he could've wrestled at somewhere like Ohio University.   I think he was R12 as a senior, if that were his junior year he probably places the following year. 

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I mean couldn't part of that have been due to the lack of resources he had available?  

Russel, in all seriousness I'm not saying I think he would have been an AA or anything, or even a starter at a top 25 school, but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe he could've wrestled at somewhere like Ohio University.   I think he was R12 as a senior, if that were his junior year he probably places the following year. 

Ok, that's pretty useless to hold yourself back just to become a back up at a D1 school. A lot of kids could go do that. You aren't getting a scholarship. 

Edited by russelscout

51 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Probably all of it is due to a lack of available resources. An additional year of secondary school wouldn't have helped him.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Probably all of it is due to a lack of available resources. An additional year of secondary school wouldn't have helped him.

Fair enough.  I still think even in the same situation he most likely places in states the following year.  He’d also be a year older in college so maybe instead of a 3x D3 qualifier he could’ve been a 4x D3 qualifier, maybe even an AA.

23 hours ago, Columbia_Lou said:

very minor pt but how in the world does it take 12 hrs to go from Lakewood Ohio to East Stroudsburg Pa.(I know its a bus ride,but jeez)

You're killing me Smalls. Dying laughing here. According to Google that's a six-hour ride. What the hell were they doing?

I sat in front of Palmer's dad at the NCAA's when he was a senior. I did not know who he was but all of the Big 10 people around me knew. He acted like an out of control lunatic the entire tournament. I took great pleasure in yelling "Palmer's stalling," throughput the tournament just to hear him lose his mind. By the end of the tournament my entire section was yelling it when he simply walked on the mat. Aaahhh, good times.

14 minutes ago, headsnap said:

I sat in front of Palmer's dad at the NCAA's when he was a senior. I did not know who he was but all of the Big 10 people around me knew. He acted like an out of control lunatic the entire tournament. I took great pleasure in yelling "Palmer's stalling," throughput the tournament just to hear him lose his mind. By the end of the tournament my entire section was yelling it when he simply walked on the mat. Aaahhh, good times.

I'm a Buckeye guy, but I love it...

5 hours ago, headsnap said:

That is good, clean fun there.  Well done.