Sign in to follow this  
buckeyehomer

NCAA D3 Team Race

For the first time in twenty something years, a team other than Augsburg or Wartburg might win it. For the 2nd straight year, Wartburg hasn't had their best post season and only qualified five. Augsburg has 8 guys in and probably has the most fire power, but Loras is also bringing 8 guys in and Stevens Institute has 7 with some strong middleweights. Should be a very exciting team race! 

Augsburg and Loras both qualified 8, Stevens Institute qualified 7 and a boatload of schools qualified 5-6 wrestlers. It's one of my top five favorite tournaments in the world annually. 

(Fargo, Virginia Duals, Division I, Division III, World Championships, in case you were wondering). 

Having going to a division 3 School, I have a lot of respect for those athletes. Was already thinking this is going to be one of the best years ever. Although Wartburg still has a great dual team, I don't believe they have the horses to win it all. I'll go with Augsburg followed by Loras, then Wartburg who knows how to win and then Stevens Ins.

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Augsburg and Loras both qualified 8, Stevens Institute qualified 7 and a boatload of schools qualified 5-6 wrestlers. It's one of my top five favorite tournaments in the world annually. 

(Fargo, Virginia Duals, Division I, Division III, World Championships, in case you were wondering). 

Jason, is there a reason the division 2 championships are not on your list? Just wondering

9 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Jason, is there a reason the division 2 championships are not on your list? Just wondering

Been going to D3 longer and in my experience, there hasn't been the craziness that I've seen at D3s. There seems to be a better "community" feeling with some teams (Wabash, UWW, Augsburg, Wartburg, Luther) than I see at D2, although a lot of that was lost when that donkey disguised as an AD in Omaha cut the program. 

D3 just has more wackiness. 

1 hour ago, Cptafw164 said:

I like Stevens' chances.  Not an alum, but I follow DIII and I am from NJ.  TCNJ doesn't seem quite the same after Coach ICE retired (RIP).    

Yeah when did Stevens get so good?

8 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Been going to D3 longer and in my experience, there hasn't been the craziness that I've seen at D3s. There seems to be a better "community" feeling with some teams (Wabash, UWW, Augsburg, Wartburg, Luther) than I see at D2, although a lot of that was lost when that donkey disguised as an AD in Omaha cut the program. 

D3 just has more wackiness. 

like this?

As someone who hasn’t had the time to delve much into D3 wrestling, that match was fun to watch. Here’s my question regarding the best of the best D3 kids (and even D2): how would they fare at the division 1 level? Would they be starters at smaller D1 schools? Could they qualify for the NCAA tournament at the division 1 level? 

3 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

As someone who hasn’t had the time to delve much into D3 wrestling, that match was fun to watch. Here’s my question regarding the best of the best D3 kids (and even D2): how would they fare at the division 1 level? Would they be starters at smaller D1 schools? Could they qualify for the NCAA tournament at the division 1 level? 

Isiah white was D2 National champ before he transferred to Nebraska 

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

More along the lines of top seeds getting bounced in the first round, returning champs not placing, chants from the fans ... but that one ... yeah ... uh ... 

... and kids whom were JV most of the year winning the thing...

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah when did Stevens get so good?

Started with Coach Clayton.  He was head coaching the Apprentice School while they were a NCWA powerhouse.  Then he took an assistant job at Army before landing HC at Stevens.  Favia, the current coach, was coached by Clayton.  

Clayton knows how to get athletes to take care of things OFF the mat so there are no distractions.  Necessary at the schools he has coached at.  

Stevens is a pretty darn good school, so selling the school is not hard.  Recruiting athletes that have the academic juice to get an academic scholarship always helps.  

Lastly, a big “Claytonism” is that your goal should be to make the NCAA finals.  You say it enough...you believe it.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

... and kids whom were JV most of the year winning the thing...

That might happen at the top programs, but not the average program. 

There was a local kid here who was three-time state champ, a Dapper Dan winner, then a part-time starter for Oklahoma as a true Freshman, making his way into the top 15. He left after that years, then was an All-American in D3 a few years later while weighing six pounds less than the weight class he was at. When asked the difference between two, he said, "depth."

2 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

IMO, I’d guess on average the top 3 or so in D3 could probably be national qualifiers.  Definitely been some over the years that could have AA’d.  

I think D3 and D2 are somewhat comparable.  Some may even argue D3 is tougher since there are more schools.  I think there are only 50-something in D2.

One guy of note this year is former ISU commit Ryan Anderson.  Currently ranked #1 for Centenary at 149 and won his regional.

Troy Stanich has been on a sprint for Stevens to, hopefully, get that elusive NCAA title.

I've been watching him since his HS days @ Roxbury (teammate w/ my nephew)... really good kid.

2 X AA, now 3 X NCAA Regional champ.

I hope he finally gets that title.

(Smart too, as he is apparently on track to get a degree in mechanical engineering.)

Stevens Athletics Sport release: https://stevensducks.com/news/2020/3/1/champs-four-individual-titles-sends-wrestling-to-southeast-regional-title.aspx

D3

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

IMO, I’d guess on average the top 3 or so in D3 could probably be national qualifiers.  Definitely been some over the years that could have AA’d.  

I think D3 and D2 are somewhat comparable.  Some may even argue D3 is tougher since there are more schools.  I think there are only 50-something in D2.

One guy of note this year is former ISU commit Ryan Anderson.  Currently ranked #1 for Centenary at 149 and won his regional.

That’s a good name drop! I remember when Ryan Anderson was being recruited and then the whole ISU fallout. He was a stud in high school. Really glad to hear he’s finding success somewhere and was able to wrestle this year. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

like this?

He only got the third stall because the ref forgot the first period stall and the fourth was a bad call and Pugh wasn't aware he was still in control when he got the fifth...WOWZERS!

The eligibility clock for D3 student athletes “pauses” after every completed season and then resumes whenever they start competing again, so I guess there could also be a situation where a D3 wrestler stretches out his eligibility and goes to Midlands or something at age 26 and hammers the D1 kids.