Sign in to follow this  
buckeyehomer

NCAA D3 Team Race

21 minutes ago, pamela said:

The eligibility clock for D3 student athletes “pauses” after every completed season and then resumes whenever they start competing again, so I guess there could also be a situation where a D3 wrestler stretches out his eligibility and goes to Midlands or something at age 26 and hammers the D1 kids.

Yes, but there is zero scholarship money, so whoever it was would be in school at age 26 for academic reasons

3 hours ago, Jim L said:

Yes, but there is zero scholarship money, so whoever it was would be in school at age 26 for academic reasons

There is zero ATHLETIC scholarship money.  You get a recruit with grades, and they get money for academics.  Believe me, coaches lobby for different academic scholarships of varying degrees to get money for superb student athletes.  Witnessed it myself when I was DIII.  

16 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Augsburg and Loras both qualified 8, Stevens Institute qualified 7 and a boatload of schools qualified 5-6 wrestlers. It's one of my top five favorite tournaments in the world annually. 

(Fargo, Virginia Duals, Division I, Division III, World Championships, in case you were wondering). 

You are the reason I loosely follow D3. You’ve been hyping it up on your podcasts for years. 

my fiancé doesn’t like you, but she doesn’t know it

18 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Augsburg and Loras both qualified 8, Stevens Institute qualified 7 and a boatload of schools qualified 5-6 wrestlers. It's one of my top five favorite tournaments in the world annually. 

(Fargo, Virginia Duals, Division I, Division III, World Championships, in case you were wondering). 

I got some love for Ohio and the Mount Union guys...

I wish Wittenberg would add a wrestling team. As near as I can find, the only Burg, Berg, Burgh, Boro College without wrestling,-- Augs, Wart, Heidel, Waynes, Gettys, Muhlen, Shippen, East Strouds, Edin, Pitts, Pitts at Johnstown, Pitts at Bradford (I noticed that when D3 was in Hershey, `"certainly a lot of burgs"~

9 minutes ago, RichB said:

I wish Wittenberg would add a wrestling team. As near as I can find, the only Burg, Berg, Burgh, Boro College without wrestling,-- Augs, Wart, Heidel, Waynes, Gettys, Muhlen, Shippen, East Strouds, Edin, Pitts, Pitts at Johnstown, Pitts at Bradford (I noticed that when D3 was in Hershey, `"certainly a lot of burgs"~

I hope we'll get there.  Ohio added Otterbein  a few years ago. I believe we have twenty three colleges with wrestling...

17 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Been going to D3 longer and in my experience, there hasn't been the craziness that I've seen at D3s. There seems to be a better "community" feeling with some teams (Wabash, UWW, Augsburg, Wartburg, Luther) than I see at D2, although a lot of that was lost when that donkey disguised as an AD in Omaha cut the program. 

D3 just has more wackiness. 

Just sharing this because of my rookie exposure to a program that brings in a rowdy crowd!!!! Fun environment for kids to compete in, small town Gunnison packs it in every home dual!!!!

https://twitter.com/wcumountaineers/status/1229490172242333697?s=11

15 hours ago, 1032004 said:

IMO, I’d guess on average the top 3 or so in D3 could probably be national qualifiers.  Definitely been some over the years that could have AA’d.  

I think D3 and D2 are somewhat comparable.  Some may even argue D3 is tougher since there are more schools.  I think there are only 50-something in D2.

One guy of note this year is former ISU commit Ryan Anderson.  Currently ranked #1 for Centenary at 149 and won his regional.

In 2012, the team I was coaching with was at the UW-Parkside tournament. It's a great tournament that draws some really solid D1, D2, D3, AND NJCAA talent. Anyway, Jason Tsirtsis, as a true freshman, makes the finals at 141 against the returning D3 runner-up at 133. For as talented as the D3 kid was (he was a three-time All-American, including that 2012-13 year), Tsirtsis nearly teched him by the end of the second period. I kept our team back to watch the match, and by the middle of the second period they didn't want to see anymore. It was not an even match, to say the least.

Elmhurst College and Coach Steve Marianetti have had a few D1 blood round guys win titles for them. Their names are Mike Benefiel (Oklahoma State) and Ryan Prater (llinois). Even one of their non-transfer guys was a three-time D3 AA, but placed at Midlands twice and has been a US Greco team member for some time now.

19 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Been going to D3 longer and in my experience, there hasn't been the craziness that I've seen at D3s. There seems to be a better "community" feeling with some teams (Wabash, UWW, Augsburg, Wartburg, Luther) than I see at D2, although a lot of that was lost when that donkey disguised as an AD in Omaha cut the program. 

D3 just has more wackiness. 

JasonBryant You are correct, that clown ruined a great program. I am glad that they landed at Maryville University. 

great thread. being a former D2 wrestler in PA, a lot of these schools thrive off of getting former D1 wrestlers highly recruited out of HS, they have issues at D1 or can't make the team, etc, end up at a smaller school with less pressure and go on to achieve AA status. 

1 hour ago, Tofurky said:

In 2012, the team I was coaching with was at the UW-Parkside tournament. It's a great tournament that draws some really solid D1, D2, D3, AND NJCAA talent. Anyway, Jason Tsirtsis, as a true freshman, makes the finals at 141 against the returning D3 runner-up at 133. For as talented as the D3 kid was (he was a three-time All-American, including that 2012-13 year), Tsirtsis nearly teched him by the end of the second period. I kept our team back to watch the match, and by the middle of the second period they didn't want to see anymore. It was not an even match, to say the least.

Elmhurst College and Coach Steve Marianetti have had a few D1 blood round guys win titles for them. Their names are Mike Benefiel (Oklahoma State) and Ryan Prater (llinois). Even one of their non-transfer guys was a three-time D3 AA, but placed at Midlands twice and has been a US Greco team member for some time now.

I don't think that really disputes what I was saying, I said they could probably be NQ's (and D1 blood round to D3 national champ sounds about right).   Tsirtis was the national champ the very next year, and according to his NU bio he also teched a guy who was ranked #20 in D1 that same year.

I saw a previous year DIII finalist lose to my DI teammate who didn't qualify for NATs.  I also beat a DIII finalist in an early November tournament (he was a finalist THAT year).  And I sucked.  

In 2012 I had a conversation with a DI Coach and I kind of argued in favor of DIII finalists having good chances at being DI All-Americans.  He disagreed and said "If you had a dual with DIII finalists and DI 8th place finishers, you would have multiple falls and tech falls."  

Sure there are maybe one or two guys in DIII who can beat DI all-americans, but looking at midlands results with highly ranked DIII guys, they didn't fare so well.  

I think the last person from a lower division (other than the one who will not be named) who placed at a major tourney was Dylan Phillpy(sp) from SF state when he went on a tear at Las Vegas beating some really good DI guys.  Interestingly, I think he lost his starting spot to someone else that year.   That was either 2012 or 2013.  

Speaking of SF state, My fav DII wrestler to watch right now is the Judo guy (Max Schneider) who transferred from Cal poly, and after some senior judo circuit/world team time...and knee surgeries.   He has 12 FIRST PEIOD pins on the year.  Foot sweeps are the last thing someone is expecting in folkstyle wrestling.   

1 hour ago, Cptafw164 said:

I saw a previous year DIII finalist lose to my DI teammate who didn't qualify for NATs.  I also beat a DIII finalist in an early November tournament (he was a finalist THAT year).  And I sucked.  

In 2012 I had a conversation with a DI Coach and I kind of argued in favor of DIII finalists having good chances at being DI All-Americans.  He disagreed and said "If you had a dual with DIII finalists and DI 8th place finishers, you would have multiple falls and tech falls."  

Sure there are maybe one or two guys in DIII who can beat DI all-americans, but looking at midlands results with highly ranked DIII guys, they didn't fare so well.  

I think the last person from a lower division (other than the one who will not be named) who placed at a major tourney was Dylan Phillpy(sp) from SF state when he went on a tear at Las Vegas beating some really good DI guys.  Interestingly, I think he lost his starting spot to someone else that year.   That was either 2012 or 2013.  

Speaking of SF state, My fav DII wrestler to watch right now is the Judo guy (Max Schneider) who transferred from Cal poly, and after some senior judo circuit/world team time...and knee surgeries.   He has 12 FIRST PEIOD pins on the year.  Foot sweeps are the last thing someone is expecting in folkstyle wrestling.   

You should check out what happened to Schneider in the semi finals at Kearney this past weekend......rough end to what was a great season for Schneider!

1 hour ago, Panther78 said:

You should check out what happened to Schneider in the semi finals at Kearney this past weekend......rough end to what was a great season for Schneider!

Oh man.  Wondering if it was the hamstring again.  I don’t have a track account so I can’t watch...not sure I would want to.

Just now, Cptafw164 said:

Oh man.  Wondering if it was the hamstring again.  I don’t have a track account so I can’t watch...not sure I would want to.

Was beating Wasser from UNK 6-1 in the 1st period, had Wasser on his back with like 17 seconds left but his arm was in the way, Wasser does a seriously impressive arch bridge and rolls Schneider over to his back for the pin.

Messed up Schneiders right shoulder, he injury defaulted out the rest of the tournament!

Not a fun way to end the season at all no matter who you are!!!!

15 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

Was beating Wasser from UNK 6-1 in the 1st period, had Wasser on his back with like 17 seconds left but his arm was in the way, Wasser does a seriously impressive arch bridge and rolls Schneider over to his back for the pin.

Messed up Schneiders right shoulder, he injury defaulted out the rest of the tournament!

Not a fun way to end the season at all no matter who you are!!!!

Well, thanks for the play by play!  There was a good chance that he could have won the hodge trophy with some upsets at NCAAs.  

Has there ever been a wrestler that won the hodge by “default” as being the only undefeated wrestler across all divisions?  I think thee was a year when a one loss wrestler won the hodge.  

Edited by Cptafw164

6 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Ugh, wasn't his shoulders why Schneider stopped wrestling in the first place?  That stinks...

I am pretty sure it was his hamstring.  I saw an interview and he went through the history leading to being 26 and wrestling in college.  As a wrestler and judoka, I can say that shoulder problems are magnified worse in judo than wrestling.  Specifically to get your opponent off balance by pulling your opponents sleeve, parallel to the floor, that really puts a strain on the AC joint and labrum.  You do that movemnt hundreds of times in practice.  

The interview is on his bio page:  He is also a JR!

https://sfstategators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4067

Edited by Cptafw164

8 hours ago, RichB said:

Their nickname could be the Henries as in Henry Wittenberg.

36 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

I am pretty sure it was his hamstring.  I saw an interview and he went through the history leading to being 26 and wrestling in college.  As a wrestler and judoka, I can say that shoulder problems are magnified worse in judo than wrestling.  Specifically to get your opponent off balance by pulling your opponents sleeve, parallel to the floor, that really puts a strain on the AC joint and labrum.  You do that movemnt hundreds of times in practice.  

The interview is on his bio page:  He is also a JR!

https://sfstategators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4067

Thanks for that, I'm pretty sure he had a bad shoulder injury in high school and missed a postseason because of it - but that was awhile ago so I'm probably misremembering. 

Edited by Gantry

44 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Thanks for that, I'm pretty sure he had a bad shoulder injury in high school and missed a postseason because of it - but that was awhile ago so I'm probably misremembering. 

I believe he had many ailments.  You could be right.  I just remember he said the hammy was the worst injury.

Edited by Cptafw164

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don't think that really disputes what I was saying, I said they could probably be NQ's (and D1 blood round to D3 national champ sounds about right).   Tsirtis was the national champ the very next year, and according to his NU bio he also teched a guy who was ranked #20 in D1 that same year.

Zero dispute; I was merely sharing a story directly related to this topic of a fairly recent match I viewed purposefully. That said, it was just one match.

Similarly, two to three years ago, Lehigh's 157 or 165 was a three-time champ in the NCWA (aka club teams) from Central Florida U., I believe. He was pretty good and a qualifier his one year in the valley.