7. Joseph Gunther, ILL
8. Layne Malczewski, MSU
9. Tyler Morland, NU
10. Willie Scott, RU
11. Jared Krattiger, WIS
12. Phillip Spadafora, MD
13. Max Maylor, MICH
14. NO ENTRY, IND

With 9 NCAA bids available, why wouldn't Indiana enter one of their 2 - backup 165's - both of whom have close to 20 matches this Season ? 

21 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Given their head to head, I'm surprised he's not the three.

Then again, although he pinned McKee recently, I think I'd rather wrestle Moran in the quarters.  He hasn't looked right since at least the PSU dual, and unless something changes, I don't think he'll have anything for Red.

McKee's been pinned a few times recently, but if anything, I suspect he'll be more dangerous in the postseason.

Red's loss to Moran is what crushed him.   Murin only has 1 loss and has a win over Moran.  So, even though he didn't wrestle Pletcher and Lee, he would still only have 3 losses compared to Red having 6 total.  Murin having the win over Moran also helped him jump Red.

31 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

I think you are selling him short on his post-season magic.

In 2018, he was NOT Seeded, yet finished 7th.

In 2019, he was a #16 Seed, yet finished 8th.

He significantly over performed both years.

I would expect him to be Seeded higher this year unless he lays an egg at Big 10.

We are just viewing the same data differently. while he over performed his seed both years I am saying that is due to having bad seeds that were the direct result of regular season underperformance. So, by extension I am saying he out performed prior underperformance. 

There was an interesting article about this earlier in the year. 

https://huskers.com/news/2019/11/21/wrestling-red-confident-after-overcoming-mental-hurdles.aspx

It is good to see him back to his motivated self.

52 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I don't see him winning, but I won't be at all surprised if Decatur substantially out-places his seed.

I like Decatur a lot and eventually he'll be a high AA, maybe even contending for it all, but why in the world his shirt was pulled this year I cannot understand!

39 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Red's loss to Moran is what crushed him.   Murin only has 1 loss and has a win over Moran.  So, even though he didn't wrestle Pletcher and Lee, he would still only have 3 losses compared to Red having 6 total.  Murin having the win over Moran also helped him jump Red.

I forgot he lost to Moran, but regardless, I see him avenging it in the quarters.

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

I like Decatur a lot and eventually he'll be a high AA, maybe even contending for it all, but why in the world his shirt was pulled this year I cannot understand!

Nor do I?  

Does he move up a weight next season, cause I can't see him holding this weight...

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Nor do I?  

Does he move up a weight next season, cause I can't see him holding this weight...

Considering he's not even wrestling at B10s, Kinner's year feels even more wasted.

I guess he brought it on himself trying to make 133, but sometimes the coaches need to step in.  They must have known holding 133 would be impossible.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not THAT dangerous.

He finished 7th and 8th the last two years at NCAAs which is about where you would expect given his talent level and if you ignored his sub-par regular seasons. Then at Big 10's last year he got the most favorable possible draw by being on the same side of the bracket as Mike Carr (and opposite McKenna and Lee). Carr was the poster child for questionable seeding when he was given the #1 after not having wrestled McKenna or Lee. He then proceeded to drop three matches at Big 10s and two more at NCAAs and not AA.

I do feel bad for Red this year though. They gave him the 4 seed and Murin the 3. Red beat Murin head to head. And while Murin has fewer loses in the conference he did not take the mat against Pletcher or Lee this year. I think you can make the case that Red should have been the 3.

Absolutely 

16 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Nor do I?  

Big tOSU fan, big TR fan, but he's made some strange redshirt choices.

I'm 71, been in and around the sport most of my life, had some brutal weight cuts myself in HS and college, saw many others coaching and elsewhere. It is and always has been the curse of the sport. Finally decided many years ago that the best way is for a young athlete to eat normally--within reason, being smart of course--and to train hard, very hard. His body will do what it will do, his weight will be what it will be.

Then wrestle that weight!

That's what I'd recommend with Decatur: work hard, learn a lot, see where you're at next Fall.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

Big tOSU fan, big TR fan, but he's made some strange redshirt choices.

I'm 71, been in and around the sport most of my life, had some brutal weight cuts myself in HS and college, saw many others coaching and elsewhere. It is and always has been the curse of the sport. Finally decided many years ago that the best way is for a young athlete to eat normally--within reason, being smart of course--and to train hard, very hard. His body will do what it will do, his weight will be what it will be.

Then wrestle that weight!

That's what I'd recommend with Decatur: work hard, learn a lot, see where you're at next Fall.

Same here.  I'm a Central Ohio guy.  Wrestled for T.Rowlands and V. DiSabato back in early-mid eighties.

I've always been of the thought of, 'build the body up' to a in shape weight.  I hope Decatur finds his place, he's a talent and lightning quick.  Great things to build on.

17 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Same here.  I'm a Central Ohio guy.  Wrestled for T.Rowlands and V. DiSabato back in early-mid eighties.

I've always been of the thought of, 'build the body up' to a in shape weight.  I hope Decatur finds his place, he's a talent and lightning quick.  Great things to build on.

Central Ohio also. NY in high school, D2 3 years in college, cup of coffee at OSU in the 60s under Casey, coached a few different places.

Been to every match at the Covelli, love the Bucks, just too many damn holes in the lineup this year! Still very annoyed about what happened at heavy.

It's always been a tough decision in college coaching whether to plan for the future or let 'er rip now. Few teams have the luxury to do both.

Edited by fightingsioux
addition

@fightingsioux,  It's been a strange season.  Not sure how else to describe it?  It doesn't feel like a re-build year, It doesn't feel like a bad year,  It's had some unexpected ups and downs.It feels like it's been a year in limbo and it's been a bunch of years since I've felt that. 

I hope like hell for Pletch and Moore that they dial it in.  

Edited by Mphillips

2 hours ago, Show_Me said:

With 9 NCAA bids available, why wouldn't Indiana enter one of their 2 - backup 165's - both of whom have close to 20 matches this Season ? 

Could not agree more. Nothing to lose. Pending wrestle off?

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Considering he's not even wrestling at B10s, Kinner's year feels even more wasted.

I guess he brought it on himself trying to make 133, but sometimes the coaches need to step in.  They must have known holding 133 would be impossible.

Wasted in what way?  He redshirted last year.   If he was naturally a 141, you’d think it’d be more realistic to get a starting spot by going down 1 weight rather than up 2, just seems like it was too tough of a cut. I do think it’s great that tOSU’s roster lists him as 133/157 though.

34 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

@fightingsioux,  It's been a strange season.  Not sure how else to describe it?  It doesn't feel like a re-build year, It doesn't feel like a bad year,  It's had some unexpected ups and downs.It feels like it's been a year in limbo and it's been a bunch of years since I've felt that. 

I hope like hell for Pletch and Moore that they dial it in.  

Lee's a hell of a wrestler, he and Luke are evenly matched. I think that Luke can do it but we'll see.

Moore is on a mission! :-)

19 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Wasted in what way?  He redshirted last year.   If he was naturally a 141, you’d think it’d be more realistic to get a starting spot by going down 1 weight rather than up 2, just seems like it was too tough of a cut. I do think it’s great that tOSU’s roster lists him as 133/157 though.

I didn't realize he'd already redshirted.  Thought he was a true freshman.

In that case, much as I'm a little surprised he couldn't beat out Cleary at 157, I guess there just wasn't a spot for him in the lineup.

And if Keyshawn gets another year of eligibility, I wonder where he fits next year?

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

Lee's a hell of a wrestler, he and Luke are evenly matched. I think that Luke can do it but we'll see.

Moore is on a mission! :-)

Although not a lock obviously, Moore's been the best guy at 197 all year.

Nor has he been as inconsistent, IMO, as some claim.  I think he wins B10s and NCAAs convincingly.

Wouldn't begin to count Pletcher out either.

4 hours ago, whaletail said:

Considering Gable didn't wrestle in the Michigan dual, Parris surely deserved the top seed.

It's essentially meaningless, but when both are undefeated (or otherwise equal), reward the guy who showed up.

I agree it is relatively meaningless and I doubt Eggs (Eggum) or Gable, for that matter, care.  I, however, did find it surprising given that Gable is ranked #1 nationally, undefeated and a returning high A.A.  As these are only pre-seeds, I guess we'll see.