Marcus Cisero

There Are 14 Unbeaten Wrestlers This Season

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

You don't think Tucker and Kolodzik will win EIWAs?  Who beats Moore at B10s?

Of your projected winners, Parris and Cenzo are probably the shakiest, and I won't be shocked if Paetzell takes out Glory.

That said, I agree with your picks, while adding Tucker, Kolodzik, Moore and Kemerer to mine.

Paetzel doesn't have much of a chance against Glory.  I'd be shocked.

Kolodzik was gifted a 4-2 victory over Hunter Richard after going in reverse for the last 3-4 minutes without multiple stall calls.

14 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Well, the dual had Paetzell leading 3-2 until a late locked hands call put it into sv.

I stand corrected.  But Paetzell also only won 5-4 over Lajoie.  Is it a matter of matching styles in these cases?

52 minutes ago, Bronco said:

So who was it that defeated Zahid Valencia this season?  Last I checked he is 20-0 this season.

Cleary Cupp - Unattached 

Beat ‘em so bad, retired him from the league. 

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Actually 15 - Zahid Valencia is unbeaten and I predict he will stay undefeated this season.

55 minutes ago, Bronco said:

So who was it that defeated Zahid Valencia this season?  Last I checked he is 20-0 this season.

I believe he is 0-1 (at least) against drug testers this year.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Unfortunately Zahid does not satisfy the predicate - "NCAA Wrestler".    What a bummer; can't think of a bigger fall in wrestling.    This is like if Todd Gurley had gotten suspended just before the Sugar Bowl in 2015.  Tough to take.  

If you're unbeaten but don't have enough matches under your belt to even have an RPI I don't think it is particularly impressive. Part of the reason it is hard to go unbeaten is because you have to survive lots of matches where funky things and fluky losses can happen. If you have a 95% chance of winning every match and you only wrestle ten matches you have a 60% chance of being unbeaten. But if you have a 95% chance in every match and you wrestle 25 matches you only have a 27% chance of being unbeaten. 

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

So annoying seeing how few matches some of those guys wrestled. Lee at 15 is pushing it, but Kolodzik at 10-0, Steveson/Mueller at 12-0, and Kemmerer at 13-0 seems pretty weak. Are guys actively avoiding competition during the season or something? I could see how they'd be fresh for postseason, but can guys with so few matches under their belt be as sharp as they'd be if they had at least 20 matches under their belts?

Let's not forget that one our Mt. Rushmore wrestlers, the man they named the "Heisman of wrestling" for, Dan Hodge, only wrestled 46 matches in his three year career.

I admit that I have no historical context to place 15 matches per year into. 

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Well, the dual had Paetzell leading 3-2 until a late locked hands call put it into sv.

That's why I think he has a shot.

Whether it's matchup specific, I'm not familiar enough with Paetzell to know, but I don't believe he's had any bad/inexplicable losses this year.

14 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

How many stay undefeated after this weekend?

My picks:

• Spencer Lee
  • Jack Mueller
  • Pat Glory
  • Nick Lee
  • Cenzo
  • Deaken
  • Griffith
  • Noah Adams
  • Mason Parris

BNxEzOondoIk0W4z1OD8ic6NvbHaL7U9kN_7sYeUJxX1Me2qY3-dSKpG9aN172GrfO3oWFH_YIDadg=s1080-nd

Crazy this is the 3rd time in 2 seasons there are 2 undefeated guys at the same weight going into the B1G tourney. Last year Cenzo and Marinelli and Martin and Shakur were all undefeated going in. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

The little faces on the graphic remind me of old time baseball cards. Love that look on Gable's face, like he's ... 

Wasn't this the post dual meet press conference where he was screaming:

"There is only one N in Steveson!!!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

He's not "heading into a conference championship". 

How do you - or anyone else KNOW that for certain?  Answer - YOU DON'T.

Edited by Bronco
correction

On 3/2/2020 at 9:46 PM, Marcus Cisero said:

How many stay undefeated after this weekend?

My picks:

• Spencer Lee
  • Jack Mueller
  • Pat Glory
  • Nick Lee
  • Cenzo
  • Deaken
  • Griffith
  • Noah Adams
  • Mason Parris

BNxEzOondoIk0W4z1OD8ic6NvbHaL7U9kN_7sYeUJxX1Me2qY3-dSKpG9aN172GrfO3oWFH_YIDadg=s1080-nd

Down go:

Nick Lee

Vincenzo Joseph

Michael Kemerer

also either Gable or Parris.

I know this probably won't happen but I have a Jimmy C-esque question: 

If Gable Steveson is the only undefeated NCAA champion, will he win the Hodge despite his early season suspension?  I'd have to say yes since no charges were filed.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I know this probably won't happen but I have a Jimmy C-esque question: 

If Gable Steveson is the only undefeated NCAA champion, will he win the Hodge despite his early season suspension?  I'd have to say yes since no charges were filed.

Strong chance, I think. But, the committee always leaves themselves the out with the citizenship category. On the flip side, we all have a touch of recency bias, so since the suspension was so long ago (and no charges) perhaps they have already forgotten about it.

So once the dust has settled on the Conference Championships - here are the remaining undefeated wrestlers - not counting Zahid, of course:

• Spencer Lee
  • Pat Glory
  • Matt Kolodzik
  • Ryan Deakin
  • Shane Griffith
  • Noah Adams
  • Kollin Moore
  • Gable Steveson

Interesting - it is doubtful that 4 of them (Glory, Kolodzik, Griffith and Adams) even get a #1 seed. 

What a long strange trip it's been!

17 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

So once the dust has settled on the Conference Championships - here are the remaining undefeated wrestlers - not counting Zahid, of course:

• Spencer Lee
  • Pat Glory
  • Chaz Tucker
  • Matt Kolodzik
  • Ryan Deakin
  • Shane Griffith
  • Noah Adams
  • Kollin Moore
  • Gable Steveson

Interesting - it is doubtful that 4 of them (Glory, Kolodzik, Griffith and Adams) even get a #1 seed. 

Fixed.

Edited by Daybreak

17 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

• Spencer Lee
  • Pat Glory
  • Matt Kolodzik
  • Ryan Deakin
  • Shane Griffith
  • Noah Adams
  • Kollin Moore
  • Gable Steveson

+ Chas Tucker