Panther78

Penn State suffers critical loss!!!

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2020/03/03/Penn-State-students-hold-candle-light-vigil-for-closed-Taco-Bell-college-avenue/stories/202003030093

Penn State students hold candlelight vigil for closed Taco Bell

They showed up with signs. They showed up with candles. They showed up with heavy hearts.

One even showed up in a taco costume.

That was the scene Sunday night as dozens of Penn State University students gathered in front of a Taco Bell near campus that had recently shut its doors.

The students mourned the late night College Avenue food spot by holding a vigil that started out as an idea on Facebook, and turned into a nationally trending topic on social media.

“Join us as we spice things up outside of our beloved downtown food establishment,” the “Taco Bell Vigil” Facebook event created by computer science major Prajesh Patel read. “Being one of the best spots to spend a late night out, Taco Bell can never be replaced,” organizers wrote.

The vigil was organized about six days prior, and word quickly spread around campus as Penn State’s own Daily Collegian newspaper promoted the event.

17 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I love how these students are in mourning over a place that didn't make enough money to stay in business. Maybe instead of just "hanging out" they should have actually bought some Tacos once in a while. 

I read in one article that it was based on legal reasons, but the workers refused further comment. I obviously have no inside knowledge, but I have a hard time believing that a taco bell on college ave wasn't making enough money. When I was a student, that place was always busy. I guess that could change ten years later, but I think the legal reasons make more sense. 

20 minutes ago, russelscout said:

The saddest part of this story is that anyone was upset over the loss of Taco Bell. These kids have clearly never had Taco Johns and they are lost.

I saw Taco johns all over the west last spring, so I decided to try one in in nebraska near I-80 on my way home. Got There and it was changed to something like Taco Jacks. Tried it.Sucked. Next day I found a Genuine TJohns in Iowa. It was OK mayne as good as a TBell or Del Taco or Chipotle. Nowhere near as good as a Baja Fresh or Moe's 

17 minutes ago, RichB said:

I saw Taco johns all over the west last spring, so I decided to try one in in nebraska near I-80 on my way home. Got There and it was changed to something like Taco Jacks. Tried it.Sucked. Next day I found a Genuine TJohns in Iowa. It was OK mayne as good as a TBell or Del Taco or Chipotle. Nowhere near as good as a Baja Fresh or Moe's 

What did you get? If you didn't get the crunchy chicken potato burrito, then you made a poor decision.

Taco Bell is nasty! That is Gringo Mexican Food lol. The best was the "Mexican Food Truck" that parked across the street from campus. You could get a burrito with the "special sauce". After eating that you got the munchies and would order a pizza. lol It is all fun and games until someone calls the cops and complains that they paid for the "special sauce" and "there was weed wrapped up in a baggie in my burrito!" LMAO! I always wondered why that burrito cost $25?! 

1 hour ago, cem5202 said:

I read in one article that it was based on legal reasons, but the workers refused further comment. I obviously have no inside knowledge, but I have a hard time believing that a taco bell on college ave wasn't making enough money. When I was a student, that place was always busy. I guess that could change ten years later, but I think the legal reasons make more sense. 

I wonder what legal reasons would shut down a Taco Bell? Tainted food/health dept.? Labor or zoning issues? Maybe the owner hittin on coeds? 

Edited by TBar1977

54 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I wonder what legal reasons would shut down a Taco Bell? Tainted food/health dept.? Labor or zoning issues? Maybe the owner hittin on coeds? 

Good question. I am a little curios after reading that article. 

24 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:
cu·ri·o
/ˈkyo͝orēˌō/
noun
plural noun: curios
  1. a rare, unusual, or intriguing object.
    "they had such fun over the wonderful box of curios that Jack had sent from India"

I'm at work and typing fast, gimme a break lol. 

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

The saddest part of this story is that anyone was upset over the loss of Taco Bell. These kids have clearly never had Taco Johns and they are lost.

Taco Johns? Never heard of it, but wouldn't Taco Juans be more appropriate? :D

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

So is this place legit??  I saw it the other day and thought I need to check it out next tome I want some crappy tacos.

7 minutes ago, madcat11 said:

So is this place legit??  I saw it the other day and thought I need to check it out next tome I want some crappy tacos.

Most are hit or miss. The one in the town I live in is excellent because the chicken is always hot and the place is well run. I really like their potato oles and the burritos are good. Its good fast food.

Edited by russelscout

23 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Taco Johns? Never heard of it, but wouldn't Taco Juans be more appropriate? :D

Could be wrong but think taco john is what they call a porta pottie, you know portajohn, in some places.  Again I could be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by ionel

9 hours ago, Panther78 said:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2020/03/03/Penn-State-students-hold-candle-light-vigil-for-closed-Taco-Bell-college-avenue/stories/202003030093

Penn State students hold candlelight vigil for closed Taco Bell

They showed up with signs. They showed up with candles. They showed up with heavy hearts.

One even showed up in a taco costume.

That was the scene Sunday night as dozens of Penn State University students gathered in front of a Taco Bell near campus that had recently shut its doors.

The students mourned the late night College Avenue food spot by holding a vigil that started out as an idea on Facebook, and turned into a nationally trending topic on social media.

“Join us as we spice things up outside of our beloved downtown food establishment,” the “Taco Bell Vigil” Facebook event created by computer science major Prajesh Patel read. “Being one of the best spots to spend a late night out, Taco Bell can never be replaced,” organizers wrote.

The vigil was organized about six days prior, and word quickly spread around campus as Penn State’s own Daily Collegian newspaper promoted the event.

The loss of the Train Station/Whistle Stop/Train Yard should be mourned rather than Taco Bell. That was the original loss at that location. These guys obviously never had a pitcher of Release Valves.