Sign in to follow this  
Mphillips

Arnold Classic Banning, 'most' spectators from event

44 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

The Arnold Classic/City of Columbus is banning, 'most' spectators from the classic.  It draws upwards of 200,000 fans over the span of the event.  It has begun...

I've read that too plus a few other things today. Next few weeks should be interesting.

Just now, Marcus Cisero said:

I've read that too plus a few other things today. Next few weeks should be interesting.

Just announced at 6 with The Governor and the Mayor and Arnold...Surprised me.

It's an overreaction. 

If not, then maybe all sporting venues, including  the US Bank Stadium for the NCAA wrestling tournament, should be shut down until the virus is contained.  

Edited by TheOhioState

UAE Tour (pro cycling) Feb 23-29 cancelled the last two stages (6 & 7) when two staff members for a team tested positive.  Many top tour guys there.  This really wasn't an on site spectator event, coverage by Flo Sports.  Six others tested positive after shutdown from the two.  It's an example of what can happen with international sports event, folks coming in from all over, co-mingling then heading back to home country or another event location.  Even national sports events, one can see the issue.

"The six individuals diagnosed with the new coronavirus include two Russians, two Italians, one German and one Colombian," read the statement from MoHAP. 

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Live presser with Arnold, The Governor of Ohio and The Mayor of Columbus.  Look it up.  No fear mongering here...

I've been following this since last week, especially the way its affecting product from China to the rest of the world. I'm involved with seniors (including my 86 year old Mom who I'm responsible for) and was blown away after learning just how much of our medicines come from China. More research led to other critical items that could be shorted as well Then the possible impact on the Tokyo Olympics as well as sports here came to light.

Here's what I presented this past Sunday which generated a few nasty emails to my email box by some of the know-it-alls who run this joint.

Question: Will the NCAA delay March college sports events (including WRESTLING) due to health safety concerns?

Based on what I read here’s what’s being discussed.

• Precautions should in include cancelling all auxiliary events that put players in contact with crowds such as meet and greets and press events
  • Some are saying perhaps the sports events should be played in an empty arena without fans at all.
  • Some have said, well – perhaps there should be no games at all.

Do you guys feel this could happen?

The conference wrestling championships this weekend can't come soon enough! Can't wait!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

1 minute ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I've been following this since last week, especially the way its affecting product from China to the rest of the world. I'm involved with seniors (including my 86 year old Mom who I'm responsible for) and was blown away after learning just how much of our medicines come from China. More research led to other critical items that could be shorted as well Then the possible impact on the Tokyo Olympics as well as sports here came to light.

Here's what I presented this past Sunday which generated a few nasty emails to my email box by some of the know-it-alls who run this joint.

Question: Will the NCAA delay March college sports events (including WRESTLING) due to health safety concerns?

Based on what I read here’s what’s being discussed.

• Precautions should in include cancelling all auxiliary events that put players in contact with crowds such as meet and greets and press events
  • Some are saying perhaps the sports events should be played in an empty arena without fans at all.
  • Some have said, well – perhaps there should be no games at all.

Do you guys feel this could happen?

Who emailed you?

I'm surprised Columbus took this stance. Arnold generates millions and millions of dollars for our economy.  Two weeks until our State Tourney, which is in CBUS, I believe it might be in jeopardy at this point...

Okay, so I am totally confused.  What differentiates Corona from the normal flu?  The only difference that I heard may exist is the fact that Corona may be airborne, and that is not a definite.  I believe approximately 80,000 deaths are caused by the flu.  Is the Corona virus any more deadly that the flu virus?  This all seems a bit crazy, especially the reactions.  Should we all crawl in a hole and wait for it to go away??

1 minute ago, RED said:

Okay, so I am totally confused.  What differentiates Corona from the normal flu?  The only difference that I heard may exist is the fact that Corona may be airborne, and that is not a definite.  I believe approximately 80,000 deaths are caused by the flu.  Is the Corona virus any more deadly that the flu virus?  This all seems a bit crazy, especially the reactions.  Should we all crawl in a hole and wait for it to go away??

You been under a rock? Read up on it. So far, far fewer known cases but a much higher mortality rate. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china

an interesting read on death rates. A consideration is that way more people have the virus than have been tested.  Early on it was the worst cases that got tested.  Still pretty much true.  Those with mild cases are likely not getting identified.

Naturally the calculated death rate is skewed higher In this situation.

Article points out that care / treatment plans have improved as well.  

So, death rate in China has plummeted (if we believe their data).  It does sound like older folk are the most at risk.

Edited by nom

12 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

It's an overreaction. 

If not, then maybe all sporting venues, including  the US Bank Stadium for the NCAA wrestling tournament, should be shut down until the virus is contained.  

Disagree. This is an international gathering with 22,00+ Athletes alone from almost 100 nations with very close contact between people and athletes and meet and greets. It's the right thing to do. That's very different from a US based sporting event.

Edited by DocBZ

11 hours ago, RED said:

Death rate is between 20X-60X more deadly than the common flu with current death rate at 6% overall and for 80+ year old people its about 20%. Flu death date is about 0.1%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by DocBZ

20 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Disagree. This is an international gathering with 22,00+ Athletes alone from almost 100 nations with very close contact between people and athletes and meet and greets. It's the right thing to do. That's very different from a US based sporting event.

Had this happened in the fall, would you have cancelled college football games, too? 

100,000 people in a stadium at the same time with exposure from people who have traveled all over the world. 

23 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Death rate is between 20X-60X more deadly than the common flu with current death rate at 6% overall and for 80+ year old people its about 20%. Flu death date is about 0.1%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The World Heath Organization reports 3.4%, and that number is falling.

The mortality rate will change as more people get diagnosed. It will then change again if and when a viable treatment emerges.

Very recently we have had similar viral infections break out with far less hysteria attached to them. H1N1 in 2009 was the same strain as the 2018 "Spanish Flu" that 27 percent of the world population caught, but the mortality rate in 2009 was far less than the 1918 mortality rate. And for comparison's sake, the CDC states that the 2009 H1N1 version was contracted by 60.8 million Americans, that there were more than 274,000 hospitalizations, and more than 12,400 estimated US deaths. The CDC further estimates that somewhere between 151,000 and 575,000 people died worldwide from that strain of the Flu. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

I recall that Flu, but what I don't recall from that Flu was a total PANIC from it. The 2009 H1N1 virus was at its zenith in the fall of 2009, but nobody once suggested cancelling the football season or cancelling any other large scale events. 

Edited by TBar1977

22 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

The World Heath Organization reports 3.4%, and that number is falling.

It may get there but it is currently 6% based on KNOWN outcomes.

28 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

Had this happened in the fall, would you have cancelled college football games, too? 

100,000 people in a stadium at the same time with exposure from people who have traveled all over the world. 

College football games are a completely different type of event. It is not an international gathering. That being said if the outbreak gets worse you will see US sporting events get cancelled or played in empty stadiums. They are already playing soccer in Italy and baseball in Japan to empty stadiums. 

12 hours ago, RED said:

Based on current numbers, this particular coronavirus is more deadly than the flu. But this may change, as coronavirus infections are probably underreported, which would skew the mortality rate.

The other reason why the coronavirus is not 'just the flu 'or the 'just the common cold' is immunity. The general population has built up some level of immunity to the flu (flu shot, previous exposure), and to the common cold (previous exposure), which helps reduce the spread of the flu and common cold. Since this coronavirus is new in humans, there is no population immunity to help keep it from spreading like wildfire. Think back to when the Europeans first came to North America. The infectious diseases they carried with them hadn't been seen by Native American tribes before, which quickly led to epidemics and loss of life.

37 minutes ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Based on current numbers, this particular coronavirus is more deadly than the flu. But this may change, as coronavirus infections are probably underreported, which would skew the mortality rate.

The other reason why the coronavirus is not 'just the flu 'or the 'just the common cold' is immunity. The general population has built up some level of immunity to the flu (flu shot, previous exposure), and to the common cold (previous exposure), which helps reduce the spread of the flu and common cold. Since this coronavirus is new in humans, there is no population immunity to help keep it from spreading like wildfire. Think back to when the Europeans first came to North America. The infectious diseases they carried with them hadn't been seen by Native American tribes before, which quickly led to epidemics and loss of life.

Sure it appears to be flu-like, however, the way the public, business, supply-chain, etc is reacting is a whole different situation. Throw in the ambulance chasing lawyers just waiting for one sick individual at an arena and, Houston – we got a problem.  Right now ongoing discussions as it relates to USA sports are more precautionary than anything else – nothing but talk right now.  All the big events are still scheduled as planned. Me personally, and I had a ticket to the big dance like some of you, I would go without hesitation.

As usual, you can thank the …..ing “if it bleeds it leads” media for all the hype.  They are the ones scaring the crap out of people.  

Here’s how global sports are taking a hit with this virus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/sport/coronavirus-sport-impact-list-spt-intl/index.html

This is how American based sports are assessing the situation here.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/coronavirus-march-madness-ncaa-nba-nhl-olympics-20200302.html

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/coronavirus-updates-how-the-virus-is-affecting-sports-in-the-united-states-around-the-world/

Edited by Marcus Cisero

H1N1 2009 - 60.8 million Americans infected and estimated deaths as high as 18,000 Americans. It barely made a mention in Wkipedia's Major US Events of 2009. One lone entry, the same as number of mentions as the balloon boy hoax, an earthquake in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and a satellite crashing shortly after launch in Antarctica. Fewer mentions than the death of Michael Jackson and the whole Elin - Tiger Woods drama.  

This isn't to dismiss Coronovirus as a story, but rather to shine a light on how things were handled with a similar viral outbreak just 10.5 years ago. How the HYSTERIA today dwarfs the reaction in 2009.