Marcus Cisero

Your #1 Favorite D1 Collegiate Wrestling Team Since the Dawn of Time

I thought it would be interesting to learn what D1 team TheMat.com posters have in their blood. Who is your favorite team (not any particular wrestler, coach or conference) but what team is on your mind when you wake up in the morning? Who is in your DNA? What D1 team have you been following for years, for decades – regardless of whether they can win it all or not?

I know these threads live for about a day or two, but wouldn’t it be interesting to get a 1000 + responses from those posters who participate daily to those only stopping in infrequently for a temperature check. Perhaps someone with analytical skills could then compile a running list with the results. That would make it even more interesting!  FYI  -someone started an "age of poster" thread that revealed just how long some have participated in this forum - the amount of years by some just blew my mind,  which is what prompted me to create this one. 

Please consider participating. I'm sure many, like me - are genuinely interested!

My favorite D1 Collegiate Wrestling team, is Penn State

How about you?

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Iowa fan through and through. A little background for the hell of it:

I grew up an Iowa sports fan because of my dad. He loved all Iowa; football, basketball and of course wrestling. We were always extra interested in wrestling because we are from the same town as the Brand's brothers. I was awfully young when they competed, but I do remember watching them on IPTV. I will never forget the year my dad took me to see Iowa dual BV and SDSU in Spencer Iowa in 1996. A ton of talent on that team, obviously as they would go on to set and still hold the point record. 

I really started following closer when I got in to middle school. My English teacher was a wrestling coach and had coached the brands in high school. He is a great guy and got all of the magazines like WIN magazine, which he would let me read when I was done with homework in his class. 

From that point on, I have always been the guy in my circle of friends who was a huge Iowa wrestling homer, but also someone who knew and followed NCAA wrestling more than any one. Then of course I found this forum and HR. I have only started recently posting here religiously. I was mostly a lurker and have had a handful of other accounts that no one would remember. The internet is great at creating a nice little area where you can talk with like minded people. Now that I have a clear outlet to participate in discussion, Iowa wrestling is really my only sports related interest. 

North Carolina will always be my one and only love. 

My grandparents met there. My grandpa starting taking me to season football games in Chapel Hill when I was 2 years old. He took me to every Saturday home game all the way until I was 18. At 18 I enrolled at UNC and still met my grandpa at the stadium every Saturday when there was a game. He was a good man and I miss him a little bit extra every year when football season rolls around. 

I ended up walking on the wrestling team for a year, then wrestled club for 2 years, and then coached wrestling at a local high school for a year while I was enrolled. I also received my graduate degree from UNC. I haven’t missed a televised UNC match for as long as I can remember. And I’m especially a happy UNC fan with Coleman Scott at the helm. 

There’s also a good chance I’m the only UNC fan on this board as the heels aren’t quite a nationally known program quite yet, which is cool to me. 

21 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

My grandfather went to Penn State. My dad went to Penn State. My sister went to Penn State. My mom was going to go to Penn State until her mother suddenly passed away so she stayed home. 

I put in one college application. 

Iowa?!?! 

Just kidding.

third generation hawkeye (grandmother, mother, myself) and hopefully raising a fourth!  safe to say we bleed black and gold in this family.  I always get a chuckle because my aunt and uncle went to ISU so it divided the family.

Oklahoma State: My dad went to OSU in the late 50's and became a fan. He took me to matches a couple of times a year. I don't remember much, but I can recall Dr. Death getting crushed underneath some huge guy (Sheldon?)... you could only see his hands. I remember Penn State's wooly warmups and weird belt singlets. I remember going to the HoF after a match and getting autographs.

I also remember rooting for Jeff Mccallister. He was from my hometown, and I thought he was famous. I grew up in Bixby, across the street from the Rollers. Shane and I actually went to our first tournament together in Glenpool. 

Edit: Strange thing... I wrestled at an ACC school, and I can't bring myself to follow them. I have access to all of their matches, but I never tune in. I actually avoid watching them ... even at NCAA's. Instead, I watch the pokes even when they are getting stomped by UNI and Jo Jo looks like he doesn't want to tune in.

Edited by jackwebster
Might have remembered a name

Ohio State University.  None of that, "tOSU" either, OSU.                                                                                                                                                                                                        Oklahoma State University - OKST.  When Oregon State University is in the top ten for a decade or two, then, maybe we will discuss them.   : )

Edited by Mphillips

Michigan

I graduated from U of M.  My wife graduated from U of M, where we met.  My eldest son, who wrestled for Canton high school, went to U of M.

I started following Wolverine wrestling about 6 years ago when Alec Pantaleo made the starting line-up as a true freshman.  Alec wrestled for Canton high school with my youngest son.

34 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Ohio State University.  None of that, "tOSU" either, OSU.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Oklahoma State University - OKST.  When Oregon State University is in the top ten for a decade or two, then, maybe we will discuss them.   : )

All Time Dual wins :) 

1 - OKST

2 - Iowa St

3 - Oregon State

18- Ohio State 

I just want to be OSU... Is that to much to ask...

Can't believe you fact checked...LOL

13 minutes ago, Idaho said:

All Time Dual wins :) 

1 - OKST

2 - Iowa St

3 - Oregon State

18- Ohio State 

Edited by Mphillips

4 hours ago, PSUMike said:

My grandfather went to Penn State. My dad went to Penn State. My sister went to Penn State. My mom was going to go to Penn State until her mother suddenly passed away so she stayed home. 

I put in one college application. 

Well my grandfather came from Italy by himself when he was 15 without knowing a word of english. My Dad was the first in the family to graduate college from Penn State. My mother went to Penn State and graduated from Edinboro after getting me and my 2 sisters into elementary school. My sisters went to Penn State. My wife went to Penn State. My sister-in-law and brother-in law went to Penn State. My four kids went to Penn State. As a senior in high school my father asked me if I was going to Penn State or joining the army. So I became the Nittany Lion Mascot.

My team is Penn State. From Rich Lorenzo to Cael Sanderson.

Iowa. My brother took me to a meet about 1975 I think. Gable was still an assistant. Interesting note, in the program they handed out at the meet Gary Kurdelmeier said that as good as Gable was as a wrestler, he will be remembered more as a coach. Gary saw it way before it all happened.