gallison

U of Michigan Sued

From  ESPN's web site...

A former University of Michigan wrestler filed a lawsuit in federal court Wednesday alleging the school ignored warnings that former team doctor Robert Anderson was sexually abusing his patients.

The anonymous plaintiff wrestled at Michigan from 1984 to 1989. According to the lawsuit, he first was violated by Anderson as a 17-year-old freshman, and Anderson continued to molest and grope him on a regular basis during the remainder of his time as a student-athlete.

"One illustrative incident is when plaintiff scratched his arm while wrestling on the mat during a summer training session, and he was told by leadership to see Anderson about the bleeding," the lawsuit states.   Much more in the article....

EDITOR'S PICKS

"During his appointment for his arm, Anderson told plaintiff to drop his pants, and Anderson sexually assaulted, abused and molested" him, according to the lawsuit.

One of my teammate''s girlfriend was the daughter of the team doctor. When we had our physicals he always had a remark about being felt up by his girlfriends father.  

58 minutes ago, RichB said:

One of my teammate''s girlfriend was the daughter of the team doctor. When we had our physicals he always had a remark about being felt up by his girlfriends father.  

I'm not gonna lie.  That is awkward.

10 hours ago, russelscout said:

This appears to be prevalent in the 80's and 90's, and I cant help to stop and wonder why? Why was this stuff ever able to happen at Ohio St. or Michigan or even more recently Michigan St?

Has a Catholic church type feel to it doesn't it. But I always question why the accusers always seem to wait until statue of limitation has expired.

11 hours ago, russelscout said:

This appears to be prevalent in the 80's and 90's, and I cant help to stop and wonder why? Why was this stuff ever able to happen at Ohio St. or Michigan or even more recently Michigan St?

58 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Has a Catholic church type feel to it doesn't it. But I always question why the accusers always seem to wait until statue of limitation has expired.

Or wait until the accused has passed away.

4 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Why NO stories of a "victim" slamming the groper/sodomizer against the wall, breaking an arm, giving a major concussion or throwing them through a window?

Not everyone's as bad-ass as you.

1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

Why NO stories of a "victim" slamming the groper/sodomizer against the wall, breaking an arm, giving a major concussion or throwing them through a window?

My guess? Because when messed up stuff like this happens, people respond differently than they tell themselves they would in their mind. 

1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

All these athletes - and not ONE takes any action? You don't have to be a bad ass to go after a sexual abuser - even if it is your Doctor. Something seriously mentally off about these people.

There's something mentally off about the abused students?

SMFH

2 hours ago, whaletail said:

There's something mentally off about the abused students?

SMFH

Those who refuse to do anything to stop it? Maybe shock or surprise or confusion at first - but if they go back after it happens for a repeat - yes. If they don't take action and get authorities involved, definitely yes. All kinds of complaints - molesting going on for many visits, many victims involved and possibly over years - and none of them took steps to stop it?

What is smfh, your last name?

20 hours ago, russelscout said:

Who knows if it has happened at all those places? Unsubstantiated claims doesn't make it true. 

4 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

All these athletes - and not ONE takes any action? You don't have to be a bad ass to go after a sexual abuser - even if it is your Doctor. Something seriously mentally off about these people.

The difference between this and a Catholic church issue is the age/maturity of the person being abused.   Even if the wrestler doesn't brake an arm, why wouldn't they know it's wrong and stop it by any means necessary?

Being a retired cop, I have had some first-hand knowledge of abuse and it's far reaching consequences. We, the people looking in from the outside, just don't realize how people are going to react and also the shame involved with those who are abused. People who are abused don't want it to get out and a lot of them, unbeknownst to friends and family, hear them talking about other cases and realize they never want their family and loved ones to find out. If and when they do decide to come forward, and I'm talking about the ones who really have been abused and need help, it's almost always a shock to everybody because for the most part people don't believe it and don't want to. You tell somebody that a doctor is sexually abusing kids/teens and people are more likely to not believe it than do. You couple that with the fact that many abusers seem to have a freaking sixth sense to know who to target, who has a lot of shame, who will do anything to keep it quiet, etc., it's not surprising that a very small number of actual cases ever come to light. Look at how long it took the Penn State - Sandusky case to come out, Michigan St. and others. Then, even if it is brought to light, lots of victims see what happens to the abuser and how their own life is turned inside out and it makes them less likely to want to come forward. You have a vicious cycle that just keeps going on and on and these sick ****ing human beings are still out there and always will be. I'm not saying there aren't some liars and exaggerators just looking for a payday but let's not jump to conclusions just because they have waited a while. There can be any number of reasons and unless you have been in their shoes I submit that you cannot know what's going on and their minds.

2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Being a retired cop, I have had some first-hand knowledge of abuse and it's far reaching consequences. We, the people looking in from the outside, just don't realize how people are going to react and also the shame involved with those who are abused. People who are abused don't want it to get out and a lot of them, unbeknownst to friends and family, hear them talking about other cases and realize they never want their family and loved ones to find out. If and when they do decide to come forward, and I'm talking about the ones who really have been abused and need help, it's almost always a shock to everybody because for the most part people don't believe it and don't want to. You tell somebody that a doctor is sexually abusing kids/teens and people are more likely to not believe it than do. You couple that with the fact that many abusers seem to have a freaking sixth sense to know who to target, who has a lot of shame, who will do anything to keep it quiet, etc., it's not surprising that a very small number of actual cases ever come to light. Look at how long it took the Penn State - Sandusky case to come out, Michigan St. and others. Then, even if it is brought to light, lots of victims see what happens to the abuser and how their own life is turned inside out and it makes them less likely to want to come forward. You have a vicious cycle that just keeps going on and on and these sick ****ing human beings are still out there and always will be. I'm not saying there aren't some liars and exaggerators just looking for a payday but let's not jump to conclusions just because they have waited a while. There can be any number of reasons and unless you have been in their shoes I submit that you cannot know what's going on and their minds.

This. Those who do abuse kids/teens/whoever feel emboldened to do these sort of things for a reason. Most have gotten away with it before and know they can again despite all the people on the outside who say they would never allow it. Why is that? Because most of us have no clue what it is like to be put in that situation.