Cptafw164

Wrestling at a school in another state

My opinion is, “You are from the state you graduated HS.”  

This includes Blair and other prep schools.  

for example, here are NJ wrestlers:

Ed Ruth, Julian Ramirez, JoJo Aragona, John Smith’s Nephew.  

PA wrestlers:

Anderson...various wrestlers from Pburg area who wrestled for Easton.  

Disagree. In wrestling, where you are "from" is the place where you have spent the greatest amount of time in the sport. Listening to Coleman Scott, it is pretty hard to believe he is not from Oklahoma. 

why stop there? for those fortunate enough to select an elite, private out-of-state high school based on athletic prowess, don't they just continue the same process when choosing a college?  therefore, when Olympians are promoted and acknowledged, shouldn't they be identified as being from the state in which their college was located?  sorry, but I must disagree with your philosophy, and would recognize an athlete's home state as the one in which he or she spent their developing years.  

You both have good points, and are acceptable counter-points.  However, you can argue that Blair out-of-staters benefitted more there then they would have if they stayed in state.  Or even NJ guys leaving their public HS to attend Blair.  If you go by the "developmental years" logic, then you are saying that Blair, BECA, Bergen, etc doesn't have a benefit, or you at least diminish the reputation of those schools to build upon talent.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:14 PM, Cptafw164 said:

My opinion is, “You are from the state you graduated HS.”  

This includes Blair and other prep schools.  

for example, here are NJ wrestlers:

Ed Ruth, Julian Ramirez, JoJo Aragona, John Smith’s Nephew.  

PA wrestlers:

Anderson...various wrestlers from Pburg area who wrestled for Easton.  

THANK YOU.  I completely agree.

Unless maybe you are a 2x champ in OH, then move to Jersey, I would be ok with both states claiming them.  

What you do 1st-8th, isn't tracked, rarely known and has little to do with your HS career. HS is where and when it starts to matter.  

12 hours ago, RichJersey2Cali said:

THANK YOU.  I completely agree.

Unless maybe you are a 2x champ in OH, then move to Jersey, I would be ok with both states claiming them.  

What you do 1st-8th, isn't tracked, rarely known and has little to do with your HS career. HS is where and when it starts to matter.  

I was in an argument with a FL guy because Blair has a bunch from FL.  Then I said, “guess Bono is really PA and not FL.”  He was at a loss.  

Well Nick Reenan graduated from Wyoming Seminary in PA and then went to NC State. Although he has not graduated from NC State, he still claims Texas as his home state. 

Similar to Colorado never having anyone on the Men's Olympic Wrestling Teams. But, Henry Cejudo moved there for the OTC his junior year of High School. Henry says he's from Arizona.  

Btw: Colorado's first native on an Olympic Wrestling Team men or women was Adeline Gray.

Put me in the other camp... It's about where you are from.

Ed Ruth wrestled for 1 year at Blair (same with Mike Evans). Myles Martin is NJ. Ryan Anderson - NJ. They Blair guys from FL are FL guys. Pettigrew - GA. Don't think I would say Bartlett is a PA guy. 

However, I think those guys will gladly tell you where they want to be claimed from. I HIGHLY doubt Ed Ruth is gonna say "oh yeah, I'm definitely a Jersey guy." PA isn't going to claim Nick Reenan, and he wouldn't either. 

This conversation is just for those wrestling posters who look to boost the claim to their state's prowess. The actual wrestlers themselves will gladly tell you where they want to be claimed.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:16 AM, TLS62pa said:

This conversation is just for those wrestling posters who look to boost the claim to their state's prowess. 

Not completely false, but not completely true.  

The actual wrestlers themselves will gladly tell you where they want to be claimed.

No, they don't get a say.  We are making objective criteria to draw a line in the sand.  

It's about where you are from.

"From" is exactly what we are objectively determining.  Where is David Taylor "from"?  What is his wrestling state?  He moved to Ohio to get better instruction, training partners and elite tournament competition so he can reach full potential.  

I am proposing you are FROM the state you Graduated HS.  However, I think there is wiggle room with taking into account people who spent the first 3 years in one state, moved, and graduated from a different HS.  

what if someone follows parents for moves from state to state?

I would think that wherever the wrestler goes for the holidays is home.

Wrestler born in one state,  moves with parents for work, then goes to high level national wrestling program for high school.  Home is where his family is.

Edited by Scorenomore
content

4 minutes ago, steven said:

That would mean Pa #  1 kids are not PA

mcneil - canada

barlett- somewhere out west maybe from colorado

bozakis- Florida 

very interesting

Bartlett's moved around. I believe they moved to Wilkes-Barre from Tempe area before 9th grade for Beau.

Bartlett's moved around. I believe they moved to Wilkes-Barre from Tempe area before 9th grade for Beau.
Hopefully they are not actually living in Wilkes Barre. More likely Kingston, the Back Mountain, or Mountaintop.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

From a college historical tracking standpoint, I go by what the athlete puts on his bio. I would have loved to count Max Huntley as a Virginia guy, but he listed Emerald Isle, N.C. ... a place he never attended school. That’s on the athlete to decide. The hometown and high school aren’t always the same determining factor in where one is from.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

One more time -  Henry Cejudo is from Colorado. 

I disagree.  I am from Colorado and don't claim him.  Colorado merely borrowed Cejudo for a few years but his development began in AZ.