shieldofpistis

How far could Spencer Lee go up and win?

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

How far can he go up and still win? Maybe 127 or 128! Seriously, he couldnt win at 133. Somebody said 141? You really think he's going to beat Nick Lee? Negatory!

I think the idea is that Spencer grows to match the weight class as well.  Apparently, he can't get any taller, but unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't have to wrestle as a 125er.

So it's really a P4P discussion, but with a height cap lol.

3 hours ago, whaletail said:

If his height is set, I suspect he'd have trouble with guys like Lee and Wilson at 141, and I'm not sure why he'd suddenly throttle Rivera up a weight.

if you stretch him out i think it just gets worse from the bone pain. it's not a medically approved procedure.

2 hours ago, npope said:

This is a suck-up thread. Everyone is a "god" until someone comes up a slaps them in the face - we've seen it happen time-and-time again in our sport. Lee's "iron" is no better than the next "superman's" iron.

Eh, the way he racks up points is pretty special, and his NCAA performances have been really dominant.

If his college career continues its current trajectory, he'll almost certainly be considered the best 118/125er in NCAA history, and one of the top 5 NCAA wrestlers ever.

I don't think the hype is at all misplaced, and I'm not even an Iowa guy.

I just realized, he'll be Iowa's first four timer as well.  And his senior career hasn't even begun.

Nothing special at all.

I remember all of the hype surrounding Hall at PSU coming in...and especially after he won his first title as a freshman. What about Metcalf? Yada, yada, yada. While Lee certainly is having a great career thus far, people jumping up and anointing him a "generational talent" are simply ignoring the history in our sport. Yeah, maybe he will end up being the man, but have we learned nothing from looking at the experience of previous "can't lose" wrestlers? So let the kid have his career and judge him on that after-the-fact, but jumping up prematurely makes those sycophants look silly and immature with no sense as to what has come before.

11 minutes ago, npope said:

I remember all of the hype surrounding Hall at PSU coming in...and especially after he won his first title as a freshman. What about Metcalf? Yada, yada, yada. While Lee certainly is having a great career thus far, people jumping up and anointing him a "generational talent" are simply ignoring the history in our sport. Yeah, maybe he will end up being the man, but have we learned nothing from looking at the experience of previous "can't lose" wrestlers? So let the kid have his career and judge him on that after-the-fact, but jumping up prematurely makes those sycophants look silly and immature with no sense as to what has come before.

I'm pretty confident he'll be considered a generational talent at the conclusion of his career.  Anything can happen, but neither Hall or Metcalf are comparable examples.

6 hours ago, whaletail said:

I think the idea is that Spencer grows to match the weight class as well.  Apparently, he can't get any taller, but unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't have to wrestle as a 125er.

So it's really a P4P discussion, but with a height cap lol.

exactly. 

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The times Rivera beat Lee counted a lot more than the times Lee beat Rivera

I don't know about a lot more, but the B10 win was definitely meaningful.

Of course, the subsequent Mueller loss significantly changed the context of their rivalry (at least for many, if not most, fans).

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

I don't know about a lot more, but the B10 win was definitely meaningful.

Of course, the subsequent Mueller loss significantly changed the context of their rivalry (at least for many, if not most, fans).

Which time Spencer Lee beat Rivera ment more than the times that Rivera beat Lee?

Mueller is not in this equation.

11 hours ago, npope said:

This is a suck-up thread. Everyone is a "god" until someone comes up a slaps them in the face - we've seen it happen time-and-time again in our sport. Lee's "iron" is no better than the next "superman's" iron.

It certainly is. Lee is a one-trick-pony who mastered a turning technique that is difficult to prevent. His take down skills are limited and he has been taken down by those who know how to get to his leg. His cardio is also in question especially when taken into the 3rd period.  Lee's "iron" will be tested by Mueller in a few weeks - and you can take that one to the bank. 

4 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

It certainly is. Lee is a one-trick-pony who mastered a turning technique that is difficult to prevent. His take down skills are limited and he has been taken down by those who know how to get to his leg. His cardio is also in question especially when taken into the 3rd period.  Lee's "iron" will be tested by Mueller in a few weeks - and you can take that one to the bank. 

I’d be kind of surprised if Mueller makes it to Lee this year.

35 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Although he didn't get blown out, I don't remember their NCAA finals match being that close.  Mueller's not bad on his feet, but most of points come from top, and I haven't seen any evidence he can turn Lee.

59 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

You sir, are a silly little man!

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

had to read this one again - actually a few times. Is it possible you meant to say if differently shield?

Obviously, the B10 win is the most important of their four matches, but I suspect Rivera would trade it in a heartbeat for an NCAA title.

Sadly, it looks like we'll never see the fifth match I'm sure we were all hoping for.

Or maybe they'll see each other in Tokyo.