VegasBuckeye

Anthony Echemendia is enrolling at OSU in May 2020?

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Why don’t you just spell out what you are suggesting. What do you think Echemedia is lying about? His age? 

Yes, he is not 19 or 20.  He is 24 or so.  I believe that he was told to alter his age for educational and athletic purposes.  Since there is a history of athletes from Cuba doing this, and the unusual circumstances of his arrival, among other reasons, I don't think that he is really 20 years old.  I think that he was told to do so by certain coaches and it was explained that if he was a certain age, he could come and wrestle and get a college scholarship or wrestle and do only that if he joined WCAP.  

13 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Your clock for D1 generally starts a year after you finish high school, given that he's 24 or 25 I'd just figure it ran out long ago.  

Incorrect. The clock starts once you begin competing in college. This is a simple fact but gets butchered time and again.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

Can Jordan Decatur make 133 next year? Sasso will be the guy at 149 right?

It would surprising in my estimation. I really don't believe Decatur is going to be a factor in the Buckeye line-up ever.  Hopefully someone pulls this thread up in two years and I'm wrong.

42 minutes ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

Incorrect. The clock starts once you begin competing in college. This is a simple fact but gets butchered time and again.

Assuming he wasn't serving in the military or on some kind of church mission, his eligibility clock either ran out or is set to run out pretty soon.  Your clock begins automatically a year after you finish high school, unless you're either serving in the military or on a church mission.  This is how somebody like Roman Rozell was able to be a walk on at ASU at age 36, because he had been serving in the military for 14 years.  Since he allegedly graduated high school years ago and allegedly went to some kind of college in Cuba, it's the case here too.  If it weren't, then guys could graduate high school if they were really good wrestler go to the OTC or an RTC and train for a few years there, or go overseas or something, and not attend college full time, and then 2 or 3 years later enroll as freshmen.  The NCAA for all it's faults isn't that stupid.  

3 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Assuming he wasn't serving in the military or on some kind of church mission, his eligibility clock either ran out or is set to run out pretty soon.  Your clock begins automatically a year after you finish high school, unless you're either serving in the military or on a church mission.  This is how somebody like Roman Rozell was able to be a walk on at ASU at age 36, because he had been serving in the military for 14 years.  Since he allegedly graduated high school years ago and allegedly went to some kind of college in Cuba, it's the case here too.  If it weren't, then guys could graduate high school if they were really good wrestler go to the OTC or an RTC and train for a few years there, or go overseas or something, and not attend college full time, and then 2 or 3 years later enroll as freshmen.  The NCAA for all it's faults isn't that stupid.  

Keep doubling down. Wrong again. This is his first enrollment in a college. Clock begins now. Everything else you posted is a strawman

4 hours ago, Mphillips said:

It would surprising in my estimation. I really don't believe Decatur is going to be a factor in the Buckeye line-up ever.  Hopefully someone pulls this thread up in two years and I'm wrong.

Thank you - do you think we’ll the Decaturs in the transfer portal after NCAAs? Maybe they’ll give Northwestern a look.

Keep doubling down. Wrong again. This is his first enrollment in a college. Clock begins now. Everything else you posted is a strawman

You are wrong, Trip is right.

12.8.3.2.1 Sports Other Than Men's Ice Hockey, Skiing and Tennis.
In sports other than men's ice hockey, skiing and tennis, a student-athlete who does not enroll in a collegiate institution as a full-time student in a regular academic term during a one-year time period after his or her high school graduation date or the graduation date of his or her class (as determined by the first year of high school enrollment or the international equivalent as specified in the NCAA Guide to International Academic Standards for Athletics Eligibility and based on the prescribed educational path in the student-athlete's country), whichever occurs earlier, shall be subject to the following:
(a) The student-athlete shall be charged with a season of intercollegiate eligibility for each calendar year after the one-year time period (the next opportunity to enroll after one calendar year has elapsed) and prior to full-time collegiate enrollment during which the student-athlete has participated in organized competition per Bylaw 12.02.9.

Thank you - do you think we’ll the Decaturs in the transfer portal after NCAAs? Maybe they’ll give Northwestern a look.
In state tuition vs private Northwestern.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

I heard he might have attended some college in Cuba.  But if you really believe that guy is 19/20 years old I have some beach front property to sell you in Colorado. 

8 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I heard he might have attended some college in Cuba.  But if you really believe that guy is 19/20 years old I have some beach front property to sell you in Colorado. 

It IS pretty obvious you do not like him for some reason.  Move on.  Bigger things in life, no?

40 minutes ago, IronChef said:

You are wrong, Trip is right.

12.8.3.2.1 Sports Other Than Men's Ice Hockey, Skiing and Tennis.
In sports other than men's ice hockey, skiing and tennis, a student-athlete who does not enroll in a collegiate institution as a full-time student in a regular academic term during a one-year time period after his or her high school graduation date or the graduation date of his or her class (as determined by the first year of high school enrollment or the international equivalent as specified in the NCAA Guide to International Academic Standards for Athletics Eligibility and based on the prescribed educational path in the student-athlete's country), whichever occurs earlier, shall be subject to the following:
(a) The student-athlete shall be charged with a season of intercollegiate eligibility for each calendar year after the one-year time period (the next opportunity to enroll after one calendar year has elapsed) and prior to full-time collegiate enrollment during which the student-athlete has participated in organized competition per Bylaw 12.02.9.

Actually you can't read either. There is nothing in this bylaw about religious service, military duty or any of what the other post contained. Go back and re-read the post because this isn't even related to the original comment. Guys play pro baseball for 3 years and then go to college and have 4 full years of eligibility in football. It happens all the time. When did the clock start in that scenario? Where is that exception in the above bylaw? Lastly there is not shred of real data to show AE attended "college" in Cuba nor that he is 23 or 24 years old.

Mark it down, AE will have 4 full years to complete at OSU

3 hours ago, cjc007 said:

In state tuition vs private Northwestern.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

There might be holes in the lineup at 141 and maybe 133, so the scholarship or RTC opportunities could be attractive despite the difference in tuition.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:36 PM, TripNSweep said:

Your clock for D1 generally starts a year after you finish high school, given that he's 24 or 25 I'd just figure it ran out long ago.  

Were you complaining about Tanner Hal and Matt Brown? How can anyone not respect a guy trying to pursue education and a better life for himself. What evidence is there that your claims are actually true?

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Were you complaining about Tanner Hal and Matt Brown? How can anyone not respect a guy trying to pursue education and a better life for himself. What evidence is there that your claims are actually true?

It'll come out eventually.  You'll see.  Also not complaining about them because they may have been older, but they followed the rules.  If that was my complaint is that they were too old, then I'd be complaining about half the BYU football team.  The LDS church doesn't use the excuse of going on a mission to warehouse athletes, ask anyone who has gone on a mission, it's not easy, you're essentially working a full time job with very rigid rules.  You don't have time to work out very intensively, if at all.  Some guys can't handle it.  BYU had a quarterback who left after like 6 or 7 months of being on a mission. So that's a much different comparison to somebody who has done nothing but practice and train for years instead of attending school. 

2 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

It'll come out eventually.  You'll see.  Also not complaining about them because they may have been older, but they followed the rules.  If that was my complaint is that they were too old, then I'd be complaining about half the BYU football team.  The LDS church doesn't use the excuse of going on a mission to warehouse athletes, ask anyone who has gone on a mission, it's not easy, you're essentially working a full time job with very rigid rules.  You don't have time to work out very intensively, if at all.  Some guys can't handle it.  BYU had a quarterback who left after like 6 or 7 months of being on a mission. So that's a much different comparison to somebody who has done nothing but practice and train for years instead of attending school. 

What rule did he break?  The rule of moving to a different country to live a better life and seeking an education?  What about that is any worse than being a member of a church? What about him is specifically different than those two.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

4 hours ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

Actually you can't read either. There is nothing in this bylaw about religious service, military duty or any of what the other post contained. Go back and re-read the post because this isn't even related to the original comment. Guys play pro baseball for 3 years and then go to college and have 4 full years of eligibility in football. It happens all the time. When did the clock start in that scenario? Where is that exception in the above bylaw? Lastly there is not shred of real data to show AE attended "college" in Cuba nor that he is 23 or 24 years old.

Mark it down, AE will have 4 full years to complete at OSU

Actually there is.  I cited examples of how people remained eligible despite being past the age limit.  ASU walk on Roman Rozell was 36 years old and eligible because he had been serving in the army for 14 years.  If he hadn't been in the army as an active duty soldier, and say instead just been working a regular job or something, he wouldn't have been eligible to compete in D-I anymore.  They have the age rules for a reason.  The example you bring up with football is different.  Plenty of guys who played minor league baseball have come back and played college football, with varying degrees of a success.  The difference there is there is some kind of rule, and I honestly don't remember what the wording is, but the basic deal is that if somebody signs as a pro right out of high school, then they forfeit their amateur eligibility for baseball, but retain it to play another sport. I don't feel like looking for the exception, but it doesn't happen a lot.  ASU had a linebacker who did this, played a few years in the minor leagues and decided he was going to play football, ended up being a smart deal for him since he ended up with a law degree and a high paying job on top of the millions he made playing baseball, while not having to pay tuition due to his baseball contract.  Anyway that is not the scenario we're talking about here.  He very well may compete at OSU for 4 years, but I'd be shocked if the truth about his age didn't come out at some point inside the next few years.  I will say this, I know people who are shocked that this kind of thing (him enrolling in high school) occurred at all.  

8 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

What rule did he break?  The rule of moving to a different country to live a better life and seeking an education?  What about that is any worse than being a member of a church? What about him is specifically different than those two.  

Lying about your age on an immigration form is considered fraud and if he's ever found out he would get deported.  Again, I don't think he ever intended to, I think he's been manipulated by people and trusted too much.  That's all.  I have no problem with coming here to better himself and make a better life, I deal with people exactly like that on a daily basis.  I have a big problem with people who mislead and exploit people like that, again something I see frequently and work to fight against happening.  Lots of immigrants, legal or not, get exploited for various reasons.  In his case he happens to be a pretty good wrestler, and I (along with many others) don't like that the people around him used him to suit their needs.  

4 hours ago, Sstern said:

It IS pretty obvious you do not like him for some reason.  Move on.  Bigger things in life, no?

I have zero problem with him.  I have a problem with some of the people around him who influenced him into coming here and telling him what to do/say in order to be able to attend high school and be eligible for sports.  If he just said, yeah I'm 24 years old and gamed the system, that's at least honest.  I get why he's doing it, I work with immigrants daily, and people are scared witless of being caught up and deported.  

7 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Lying about your age on an immigration form is considered fraud and if he's ever found out he would get deported.  Again, I don't think he ever intended to, I think he's been manipulated by people and trusted too much.  That's all.  I have no problem with coming here to better himself and make a better life, I deal with people exactly like that on a daily basis.  I have a big problem with people who mislead and exploit people like that, again something I see frequently and work to fight against happening.  Lots of immigrants, legal or not, get exploited for various reasons.  In his case he happens to be a pretty good wrestler, and I (along with many others) don't like that the people around him used him to suit their needs.  

So you don't like him because you think he has lied on an immigration form without having seen that form or having any evidence as to what his real age is?  You really think he's being exploited by getting a free education at Ohio State?  Wow, in that case, you should probably tell him personally about this whole theory of yours.   He'll thank you for stoping the exploitation of him.  How about you don't throw out accusations without providing the evidence?  You accuse him of breaking the law, but by doing so, you are likely being libeling/defaming him.  

8 hours ago, pamela said:

It will be intense competition for their services… Given that one was the 14th seed at big tens and the other was fourth on the depth chart behind the 13th seed.

I don't think you can compare HS in Cuba v HS is the US as they are two different things.  It is my understanding that you attend primary for 6 years and then on to HS for 3-4 years.  At 16 you are done with the "HS."