TBar1977

What is going on at PIAA Coverage with Flo?

The ugliness continues. 

@flosports sent a cease and desist to @PAPowerWrestle

FOR DOING INTERVIEWS. Which they (should) know won't hold up in court. That's a terrible disservice to the fans in PA and the
3:08 PM · Mar 6, 2020 from Pennsylvania, USA·Twitter for iPhone

Who are they going to threaten next? The PA Newspapers that cover wrestling? WTF? 

Edited by TBar1977

It wasn’t a cease and desist from doing interviews. They were told to take down match footage that Flo bought the rights to so they could stream the tournament. The interviews are still up. (So much for the cease and desist). 

Another fine example of people need to look into things a little more instead of reading a social media statement and running with it, telling the world as if it were true. 

Edited by Lurker

No outrage in the tweet and, so far, no outrage in this thread. It's not outrageous for one to talk about Flo. Especially when Flo makes mistakes every darn day.

Does Flo own the rights to all those social-media posts it screenshots rather than reposting properly?

Does Flo own the rights to headshots on this van?

image.png.6bf4f22422b584c96224994f0e688f4d.png

Edited by jon

6 minutes ago, jon said:

No outrage in the tweet and, so far, no outrage in this thread. It's not outrageous for one to talk about Flo. Especially when Flo makes mistakes every darn day.

Does Flo own the rights to all those social-media posts it screenshots rather than reposting properly?

Can only speak for myself but my comment is nothing at all about defending Flo, rather only about if you’re going to throw shade at someone like that make sure you have the accurate info in doing so. 

Totally unrelated but a few of us were speaking in the stands at PA States today and many non-flo subscribers are not happy about the decision PIAA made with Flo to air the 3-day event.  PIAA for decades provided FREE AA / AAA finals coverage on channel 186 PCN and now one has to have subscription to FLO to see it. It does not affect those of us who are Flo subscribers but it does effect 1000's of residents who live here who arent - including elderly fans with mobility challenges who cannot go up and down the arena - for them, they counted on watching the the finals from the comfort of their home.  This is one arrangement Flo made in my backyard that I do not agree with. Actually SHAME on PIAA for agreeing to do this.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Can only speak for myself but my comment is nothing at all about defending Flo, rather only about if you’re going to throw shade at someone like that make sure you have the accurate info in doing so. 

Yes, of course. My subsequent post not a reply to yours. I appreciate the clarification your post provides!

1 minute ago, nom said:

The title of the thread is ‘WTF is wrong with Flo?’  Come on ...  no outrage in this thread?  

Zero outrage. If it said 'WTF is wrong with FloFilms' I'd agree with the idea of outrageous. Flo's got a lot of holes. @Lurker post helps to bring clarity for this particular incident.

Marcus - I’m curious.  Could grandparents see all the kids matches or just the ones that were chosen to be shown on TV?  I’m thinking it would be hard to show all those matches.

I do think a monthly subscription would be very user friendly.

2 minutes ago, jon said:

Yes, of course. My subsequent post not a reply to yours. I appreciate the clarification your post provides!

I hear ya, but yeah was just wanting to clarify I wasn’t trying to defend Flo. 

I’ll add to it that I do not subscribe to Flo, therefore I don’t really think I’m in any position to defend/criticize. I don’t have the experience with them to have a leg to stand on. Years ago I paid for one month (I was a state team leader but had reconstructive shoulder surgery and couldn’t make Fargo, so I got it for that month). Other than that my experience with them is twitter posts. 

So again just to clarify where I’m coming from. 

3 minutes ago, nom said:

Marcus - I’m curious.  Could grandparents see all the kids matches or just the ones that were chosen to be shown on TV?  I’m thinking it would be hard to show all those matches.

I do think a monthly subscription would be very user friendly.

sorry nom - I should have been more specific. PIAA typically provided LIVE coverage of only the AA / AAA finals with a repeat the following day. Now that is no longer available to the residents who provide the nations colleges with some of the top HS wrestlers.  They either have to be there at the arena, purchase a subscription to FLO or purchase the DVD's. 

1 minute ago, Marcus Cisero said:

sorry nom - I should have been more specific. PIAA typically provided LIVE coverage of only the AA / AAA finals with a repeat the following day. Now that is no longer available to the residents who provide the nations colleges with some of the top HS wrestlers.  They either have to be there at the arena, purchase a subscription to FLO or purchase the DVD's. 

Conversely the rest of the nation gets to see some of the top HS wrestlers. Including the college coaches who are provided, and making it a lot easier for these coaches to see more athletes, which in turn makes it more likely someone may get a scholly that otherwise may not have. 

Just now, Marcus Cisero said:

Which it is understandable for them to have this option to watch, but flo providing it also allows me and many people around the country to watch it, which is more helpful for the sport?

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Conversely the rest of the nation gets to see some of the top HS wrestlers. Including the college coaches who are provided, and making it a lot easier for these coaches to see more athletes, which in turn makes it more likely someone may get a scholly that otherwise may not have. 

Absolutely Lurker - I agree with you 100% but why did PIAA choose to alienate the home viewing audience here? Why couldnt they do both, allow FLO do provide coverage all 3 days while providing the 2 finals events on our local cable like they have for so long.  Trust me, PA fans are not happy with that decision. Same thing happened last year too. 

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Without looking into this at all, I’m fairly confident Willie is lying about the details. I’m not a lawyer but this doesn’t make sense. Willie is also a known liar when it comes to Flo related things.

t-bar - it’s not your fault because Willie for some reason has credibility in our community, but making posts With serious accusations purely based on Willie’s word is probably not the best idea. 

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’ll add to it that I do not subscribe to Flo, therefore I don’t really think I’m in any position to defend/criticize. I don’t have the experience with them to have a leg to stand on. Years ago I paid for one month (I was a state team leader but had reconstructive shoulder surgery and couldn’t make Fargo, so I got it for that month). Other than that my experience with them is twitter posts. 

So again just to clarify where I’m coming from. 

I actually do subscribe to Flo. My headline was based off two things:  1. An assumption (I know) that Willie's tweet was accurate 2. The reaction Willie's tweet received from Cliff Fretwell which, imo, lent credence to Willie's tweet. 

lS91EFcc_bigger.jpg

Very sad.... so what will they say when ESPN tells them they can’t do interviews at NCAA’s?

9824de3311e6f162176d9ad6e5c6e98b_bigger.

JG

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Without looking into this at all, I’m fairly confident Willie is lying about the details. I’m not a lawyer but this doesn’t make sense. Willie is also a known liar when it comes to Flo related things.

t-bar - it’s not your fault because Willie for some reason has credibility in our community, but making posts With serious accusations purely based on Willie’s word is probably not the best idea. 

See my post where I site Cliff Fretwell. Maybe Fretwell is also mistaken, I don't know. If its all a mistake I will adjust the subject line. 

21 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Totally unrelated but a few of us were speaking in the stands at PA States today and many non-flo subscribers are not happy about the decision PIAA made with Flo to air the 3-day event.  PIAA for decades provided FREE AA / AAA finals coverage on channel 186 PCN and now one has to have subscription to FLO to see it. It does not affect those of us who are Flo subscribers but it does effect 1000's of residents who live here who arent - including elderly fans with mobility challenges who cannot go up and down the arena - for them, they counted on watching the the finals from the comfort of their home.  This is one arrangement Flo made in my backyard that I do not agree with. Actually SHAME on PIAA for agreeing to do this.

I hear you. I don’t think this is Flo’s fault, as they would be dumb to not go after PIAA streaming rights, but it would be nice if they can find a solution. Maybe make an exception and offer an event fee just this one time, offer PA residents a 50% discount during the week leading up to it...I don’t know. Something would be nice though. 

2 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Absolutely Lurker - I agree with you 100% but why did PIAA choose to alienate the home viewing audience here? Why couldnt they do both, allow FLO do provide coverage all 3 days while providing the 2 finals events on our local cable like they have for so long.  Trust me, PA fans are not happy with that decision. Same thing happened last year too. 

You’d have to ask PIAA. I do not have that information. 

I will say if I were in the room, I would be looking at what is better for the kids. Having the whole tournament available to a nation wide audience is better for the kids. So I would want to make that deal. Before making that deal I would attempt to do exactly what you suggested: Flo cover the whole tournament but negotiate being able to show the finals as in years past. Flo has negotiating rights as well. And if that was a deal breaker for them, I would go back to what is better for the kids. The whole tournament to a nation wide audience, or the finals available to the local viewing area?  I would still make the deal because while it cuts out grandparents viewing, it’s still better for the kids. I would guess that most of the grandparents would want what is better for the kids as well. 

But I wasn’t in the room...

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I actually do subscribe to Flo. My headline was based off two things:  1. An assumption (I know) that Willie's tweet was accurate 2. The reaction Willie's tweet received from Cliff Fretwell which, imo, lent credence to Willie's tweet. 

lS91EFcc_bigger.jpg

Very sad.... so what will they say when ESPN tells them they can’t do interviews at NCAA’s?

9824de3311e6f162176d9ad6e5c6e98b_bigger.

JG

I saw Fretwell’s reaction. And it was just that...a reaction to a tweet. It provided zero information about the situation, and zero credence to Willies tweet. Like I said, another fine example of taking a social media comment at its word without looking into it for ones self.