SetonHallPirate

Wrestlers who earned AQ slots, but will need an at-large bid

12 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Note that the link in the very first post of this thread is now final.

Do you know when the final RPI is released? When are at-large selections announced? Thnaks

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Do you know when the final RPI is released? When are at-large selections announced? Thnaks

Selection Show | Wednesday, March 11, 2020
The 2020 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship bracket will be announced Wednesday, March 11, time and network are to be announced.

Edited by lu_alum

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

final RPI and CR are given to the selection committee on 3/11 - i don't know if they are released publicly before the brackets are released.

Here are my thoughts:

High chances:
125:  Colaiocco has big wins over top 15 guys.  Ranking and RPI to carry him.

133:  I am putting Trampe here because someone behind t he scenes has been high on him all year.  He was ranked top 10 in the preseason (intermat only) despite 4th in the EIWA and 1-2 at NCAAs.  He also held position through inactivity.  Only after his 2 losses at the end of the year was he dropped to top 15.  

Medium chances:

HWT:  Sullivan has too many wins over NQs and a strong RPI.  No bad losses until the EIWAs where he was hurt.  His medical status will play a role, hence medium chances.

149:  Hoffman has a couple wins over notable guys (maruca, verkleeren) However, I don’t know how many wins he had over AQ competition.  Same with Ogunsanya, who had notable wins against Cole Martin and a MD victory against Jaron Jensen while Jenson was on fire.  However, those guys slid far from their highest spots in the rankings if not completely out which takes pizzaz out of those wins.   

low chances:

141: Pomrinca has a couple good wins, couple bad losses.  Has the highest of the low chance guys.  Wil Gil severely underperformed at EIWAs.    

184:  Loew has some good wins, but some really bad losses in terms of margin of loss.  He lost by MD to DePrez at the dual plus MDs to Harvey and Stewart at EIWAs.  Not sure if the Wisman and Weiler wins can carry him.  Then again, hopefully the committee can see the EIWAs as a bad couple days and give him the benefit of the doubt since he WRESTLED and didn’t mfor.  Not like he was injured, but people will go to the big dance who didn’t even try.  

174:  looking at this season, Womack will be dinged for not enough competition for any good comparative analysis.  

197:  Koser had big wins against ranked conference guys, but didn’t back that up at EIWAs.  Not sure if he can pull an at large with conference reg season wins when there were already 6 slots.  

26 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Here are my thoughts:

184:  Loew has some good wins, but some really bad losses in terms of margin of loss.  He lost by MD to DePrez at the dual plus MDs to Harvey and Stewart at EIWAs.  Not sure if the Wisman and Weiler wins can carry him.  Then again, hopefully the committee can see the EIWAs as a bad couple days and give him the benefit of the doubt since he WRESTLED and didn’t mfor.  Not like he was injured, but people will go to the big dance who didn’t even try.  

There's no such thing as  "bad losses" in either the qualifications for the at-large pool or for determining at-large bids.  They would be considered in the Coaches' Poll (criterion three) and perhaps common opponents (criterion four).

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

There's no such thing as  "bad losses" in either the qualifications for the at-large pool or for determining at-large bids.  They would be considered in the Coaches' Poll (criterion three) and perhaps common opponents (criterion four).

Correct.  That’s what I was alluding to.  With it being close for AL bids at 184, it is hard to predict bias and subjectivity (or lack thereof) when the committee is behind closed doors.  I don’t think a new coaches poll or RPI will be calculated for At Large.  But it is fair to say the committee will judge the wrestlers fall in those rankings you mentioned.  

without more wins outside the conference, like Colaiocco, it is hard to put much weight on wins over reg season conference wrestlers ranked in the lower half of RPI/Coaches.  

I want to see loew at NCAAs because Cornell always makes for good upsets.  125, 141, 149 would make for some good damage to the rackets.  Not sure about Furman, although HWT is hard to predict as good as lower weights due to specific style match-ups having more to do with wins/losses.  A 149lber can stand up after someone sprawls on them, but if you are 260 and someone else who weighs 260 is on top of you, it isn’t relative.