VakAttack

Big Ten Discussion: Session 1

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Lovett chose top in the second.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Which makes less sense. Don't remember their first match but assume Lovett and the coaches thought he could ride and/or turn DeSanto

1 minute ago, aknipp said:

Which makes less sense. Don't remember their first match but assume Lovett and the coaches thought he could ride and/or turn DeSanto

I believe he rode desanto pretty successfully in the dual. Lovett is very good on top, just couldn't keep desanto down this time

3 minutes ago, aknipp said:

The first match Desanto dominated until the 3rd period then got ridden like a rented mule. Im guessing the game plan was avoid action at all costs and get a turn from top. 

4 minutes ago, aknipp said:

Probably coaches assuming Desanto will eventually get a takedown and giving Lovett a chance to get a turn on top, where he is very very good. I think they were just giving their guy his best opportunity to score points. It didn’t work out, but I don’t hate the call.

1 hour ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I think the ugliness of Maryland’s uniform is somewhat independent of them being two pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda like their football uniforms, ...Sort of a cross between horse racing jockeys, and circus clowns.

38 minutes ago, Perry said:

I believe he rode desanto pretty successfully in the dual. Lovett is very good on top, just couldn't keep desanto down this time

Rode him hard, plus Ridge loves cradles.

Edited by Coachp

43 minutes ago, russelscout said:

The first match Desanto dominated until the 3rd period then got ridden like a rented mule. Im guessing the game plan was avoid action at all costs and get a turn from top. 

Desanto had his head on the mat the whole 3rd, and twice when Lvett was about to turn him, it was stopped for pd, in Carver, of coarse.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Lovett chose top in the second.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That makes sense, but I'm not sure it was wise (even at the time).  Why not defer, and leave your options open?

Especially when ADS is unlikely to ride you anyway.

Regardless, that match was absolutely winnable, and I hope it at least gave him some confidence for the backside.

24 minutes ago, Coachp said:

Desanto had his head on the mat the whole 3rd, and twice when Lvett was about to turn him, it was stopped for pd, in Carver, of coarse.

Ok bud. This time it was in The Rac. Lovett still didnt get a turn. Maybe Lovett just cant turn Desanto. 

Anyways, what happened the first 2 periods? Desanto was handling him  the first two periods without Lovett doing anything offensively, just like I said and then Desanto got ridden just like I said.

The match today? Desanto is the only one who shot and Lovett just hung on. Clearly Lovett thought his only shot was on top, and it didnt work out for him.

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Probably coaches assuming Desanto will eventually get a takedown and giving Lovett a chance to get a turn on top, where he is very very good. I think they were just giving their guy his best opportunity to score points. It didn’t work out, but I don’t hate the call.

I get that, but deferring allows you to make that decision with better data.

I don't like deferring just to take bottom in the third, especially with a 0-0 score (as first point is pretty useful in UTBs), but in this case, I don't see the downside. 

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ok bud. This time it was in The Rac. Lovett still didnt get a turn. Maybe Lovett just cant turn Desanto. 

Anyways, what happened the first 2 periods? Desanto was handling him  the first two periods without Lovett doing anything offensively, just like I said and then Desanto got ridden just like I said.

The match today? Desanto is the only one who shot and Lovett just hung on. Clearly Lovett thought his only shot was on top, and it didnt work out for him.

All fair points. 

I still like that Lovett went for it. Bold gameplan. 

2 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I think the ugliness of Maryland’s uniform is somewhat independent of them being two pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can Maryland possibly finish the tourney without an individual win?  Only four guys remain in the second session.  Zero team points.

6 hours ago, russelscout said:

Refs making PSU opponents earn those TDs. Holy smokes. 

Having said that Meredith's improvement has been impressive and Pipher came to wrestle.

McKee is hurt, end of story.

7 hours ago, russelscout said:

He was handling him? The final score says otherwise, and my name isn't Bud.

Edited by Coachp

14 hours ago, Coachp said:

About to turn him lol.   DeSanto didn’t really try to get out in that match, Lovett wasn’t going to turn him.