WillieBoy

Dealing with Bets on these forums

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

same. I enjoy some of his posts, even. Forbidden from accepting "bets" in the forum, maybe. 

I do too and welching on a bet is probably not something that should get you banned. However, after making my previous post, I read that he was supposed to have made a donation to some nonprofit organizations. That is kind of sihtty. Usually I have a definite opinion on things but here I'm flip flopping around like an idiot. I will say that the first time I read about two people making a bet on here I thought that the moderators, if they knew about it, might forbid it.

2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I do too and welching on a bet is probably not something that should get you banned. However, after making my previous post, I read that he was supposed to have made a donation to some nonprofit organizations. That is kind of sihtty. Usually I have a definite opinion on things but here I'm flip flopping around like an idiot. I will say that the first time I read about two people making a bet on here I thought that the moderators, if they knew about it, might forbid it. 

Seems more like an "ignore" situation, to me. Guys that don't like Jimmy because of welshed bets shouldn't wreck the enjoyment that Jimmy's threads sometimes bring to the forum (for those of us who haven't bet with him).  If somebody online welshed on me I'd probably just put them on ignore and, possibly, punch then in the mouth if I ran into them depending on the bet. 

"Ignore user" is a wonderful function, and I use it quite liberally on other forums (but don't use it here). 

7 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

If - management is going to allow even signature bets they have to step in and enforce things.

How do I enable signatures, and add one myself?  I don't see any obviously relevant settings, and they must be off by default.

I had 2 bets with Jimmy that I won. The money was supposed to go to a Christian charity, not a wrestling RTC.  It's not the fact that he failed to pay the Christian charity he owes money to.  But irks me is that Jimmy won't even acknowledge losing bet, he won't even apologize.  

If Jimmy just acknowledged he made a mistake in making the bet, I would forgive him and I wouldn't mention it again.  

But he won't do that.  So he does deserve to be banned.  He has stolen from a Christian charity and won't answer for his wrongdoing.  He won't even apologize.  I don't think he should have the honor of engaging on this board. 

And don't say the issue is with bets.  I have made several bets and everyone has paid except Jimmy. 

12 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Seems more like an "ignore" situation, to me. Guys that don't like Jimmy because of welshed bets shouldn't wreck the enjoyment that Jimmy's threads sometimes bring to the forum (for those of us who haven't bet with him).  If somebody online welshed on me I'd probably just put them on ignore and, possibly, punch then in the mouth if I ran into them depending on the bet. 

"Ignore user" is a wonderful function, and I use it quite liberally on other forums (but don't use it here). 

I know it's not something that's common on this message board but I was wrong and I believe you're right. We should just ignore him and if enough people do it, he might get tired of posting and having nobody reply.

Make no mistake about it – all the animosity towards this one guy is coming from individuals who, in some cases – deep down inside are extremely lonely and miserable. Think about it. If you read what many are writing and how often they write about this guy over and over again one begins to get a clearer picture of what’s inside some of these characters. I get it. This is your forum and you’ve had it for 10-20 years and you’re extremely protective of it. You get a little over protective when a few posters come up with things you didn’t think of. This guy tends to do that and you do not like it. You also don’t like that he does not allow himself to get goaded into responding to your constant criticisms. He shrugs it off and that really ticks you off - lol! Hey I’m new at this forum stuff and I’m still trying to figure out how to maneuver among the many personalities and wrestling know-it-alls who possess a really strong desire to protect their turf. Seriously, you got a few people that live in this forum day in and day out who feel the need to write stuff during all hours of the day and even late hours of the night. Take a look at what time some of these posts take place and you have to start questioning, why aren’t these people in bed sleeping. Why aren’t they spending more time with their wives (if they have one), why aren’t they spending more time with their children, with their grandchildren? Why aren’t they volunteering, helping others, etc. Instead in this particular instance you have older men going after another older man for weeks for some mythical betting scenario that never should have materialized in the first place. No wonder why this forum gets the feedback it does elsewhere. From what I can see it’s well deserved, and you know what – it’s really not fair to the “good ones” here who share their wrestling knowledge and experience, of which there are many.

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

You almost don’t come here because lately there are 2-3 posts a day (out of probably 500+) that are about JC? Unless you’re his mother that’s absurd.

damn near every post he's made today has had multiple people respond to it saying something about it.  your statement is just plain false

Yes it's a scumbag move to not pay up but in all honesty nobody should've made a bet with him after the first time he skipped out. Also dont bet with strangers over the net. Again yes its scummy to not pay up but it's more of a you should have known better type of thing.

3 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Make no mistake about it – all the animosity towards this one guy is coming from individuals who, in some cases – deep down inside are extremely lonely and miserable. Think about it. If you read what many are writing and how often they write about this guy over and over again one begins to get a clearer picture of what’s inside some of these characters. I get it. This is your forum and you’ve had it for 10-20 years and you’re extremely protective of it. You get a little over protective when a few posters come up with things you didn’t think of. This guy tends to do that and you do not like it. You also don’t like that he does not allow himself to get goaded into responding to your constant criticisms. He shrugs it off and that really ticks you off - lol! Hey I’m new at this forum stuff and I’m still trying to figure out how to maneuver among the many personalities and wrestling know-it-alls who possess a really strong desire to protect their turf. Seriously, you got a few people that live in this forum day in and day out who feel the need to write stuff during all hours of the day and even late hours of the night. Take a look at what time some of these posts take place and you have to start questioning, why aren’t these people in bed sleeping. Why aren’t they spending more time with their wives (if they have one), why aren’t they spending more time with their children, with their grandchildren? Why aren’t they volunteering, helping others, etc. Instead in this particular instance you have older men going after another older man for weeks for some mythical betting scenario that never should have materialized in the first place. No wonder why this forum gets the feedback it does elsewhere. From what I can see it’s well deserved, and you know what – it’s really not fair to the “good ones” here who share their wrestling knowledge and experience, of which there are many.

IMO youre the best poster on this forum. Also, im from LI too! 

But you are wrong about this. Standing up for JC and his welching is akin to going to bat for child molestation. Please reconsider your stance. 

2 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Did you just post that diatribe without recognizing the irony that you’re doing so at almost 8pm on a Saturday night? 

I had never said a single bad word about that guy until he welshed on donating to a charity he was supposed to donate to.

8 minutes ago, BTC said:

Yes it's a scumbag move to not pay up but in all honesty nobody should've made a bet with him after the first time he skipped out. Also dont bet with strangers over the net. Again yes its scummy to not pay up but it's more of a you should have known better type of thing.

I had no idea this (his welshing) had happened before or I obviously wouldn’t have...and I wouldn’t have bet at all if the losers didn’t have to donate to a wrestling non-profit. Didn’t think someone that active on this site (who obviously cares about wrestling) would welsh. I was clearly wrong.

Edited by MDogg

23 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Why should those reneging on forum bets be banned?

If you truly knew wrestling, it is a sport for character development. 

Cheating the charities that you have a debt with is robbery.  It is a scum back move. It shows a lack of character.  A lack of character does not mix well with the high character sport of wrestling.  That is what makes his behavior even worse. If you can't understand that then I can't help you. 

15 minutes ago, Witherman said:

damn near every post he's made today has had multiple people respond to it saying something about it.  your statement is just plain false

Yes and the person who started this topic made a comment about “the definition of religion” on one of JC’s posts earlier today. Clearly more valuable to the wrestling purists than the “pay your debt” comments. Regardless I already said I’m not planning on commenting on his posts much more but feel free to go away if scrolling past the comments you don’t like is just too taxing.

52 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

jsmalls - they powers to be removed most of features so I'm on my way out with nothing to lose! I speak my mind and I refuse to tow the line.

Well, I hope they don't ban you. You are the man and a very good poster. But JC sucks. Hes a welcher that hates children and charities that benefit them. Reconsider that stance and I will be your #1 supporter. 

27 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Poor Connor. Growing up with a dad without honor must be tough. lol

Mr. Smalls, Let me start by saying I completely screwed up my post on this topic and have been flip flopping like Joe Biden, lol. Let me explain and hopefully get back in your good graces.

At first I thought he should be banned w/o reading any of the posts. Then I saw one of Tobus posts and changed my mind a little w/o reading further. You would have thought I learned my lesson but evidently not. Then when I saw who the bet would have benefited I change my mind somewhat again. Hopefully I explained that well.

Here is my opinion on the subject. While I think what he did is despicable, low class, and would probably not have anything to do with him if I knew him, I don't necessarily believe that banning him is the right option at this time. Lots of people make mistakes and deserve either a chance to fix them or a second chance. There are things we can do on this message board to punish him and maybe we should let the moderator know like Jason said. But, please understand that in no way am I condoning what he did, would I ever put up with one minute of that from my kid even though he's now in college and I do not wish to be associated w/ him or anybody who thinks what he did is okay. I just think there maybe  other ways to handle it at the present time. But I could be wrong and that might be the best option. If he was banned I would not lose one minute of sleep over it  and would probably save time not having to read through idiotic posts of his.

I hope this helps. Any issues or problems anyone has with my posts here are all brought on by me. Your post did make me sit up because I have made my share of mistakes but I KNOW I raised my kid correctly & to be honorable. Again, sorey for the confusion.

And by the way, I think Marcus C. is an outstanding poster as well

My favorite part about this is people complaining about a couple “pay your debts” posts about Cinnabon. Head over to the 2nd session big 10 thread right now and take a gander. It’s literally 75% Russel and TBar needing to get a room. Back and forth “you’re sensitive! No you’re sensitive!!!!” It’s a freaking message board. If a few “pay up” posts are hurting your feelings then message boards probably aren’t the place for you anyways. 

Oh and edit: I like both Russel and TBar and I think their PSU vs Iowa banter is entertaining. But it’s damn stupid lol. 

Edited by goheels1812

21 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Mr. Smalls, Let me start by saying I completely screwed up my post on this topic and have been flip flopping like Joe Biden, lol. Let me explain and hopefully get back in your good graces.

At first I thought he should be banned w/o reading any of the posts. Then I saw one of Tobus posts and changed my mind a little w/o reading further. You would have thought I learned my lesson but evidently not. Then when I saw who the bet would have benefited I change my mind somewhat again. Hopefully I explained that well.

Here is my opinion on the subject. While I think what he did is despicable, low class, and would probably not have anything to do with him if I knew him, I don't necessarily believe that banning him is the right option at this time. Lots of people make mistakes and deserve either a chance to fix them or a second chance. There are things we can do on this message board to punish him and maybe we should let the moderator know like Jason said. But, please understand that in no way am I condoning what he did, would I ever put up with one minute of that from my kid even though he's now in college and I do not wish to be associated w/ him or anybody who thinks what he did is okay. I just think there maybe  other ways to handle it at the present time. But I could be wrong and that might be the best option. If he was banned I would not lose one minute of sleep over it  and would probably save time not having to read through idiotic posts of his.

I hope this helps. Any issues or problems anyone has with my posts here are all brought on by me. Your post did make me sit up because I have made my share of mistakes but I KNOW I raised my kid correctly & to be honorable. Again, sorey for the confusion.

And by the way, I think Marcus C. is an outstanding poster as well

haha. Ok, I retract my statement. Conor has an honorable father that he should be proud of!

But watch it with those JimmyCin Defenses... Your childs life and reputation may or may not depend on it!

49 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

haha. Ok, I retract my statement. Conor has an honorable father that he should be proud of!

But watch it with those JimmyCin Defenses... Your childs life and reputation may or may not depend on it!

I'd give you three reactions but I'm all out for the day!

Edited by ConnorsDad