VakAttack

B1G Semifinal thoughts

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Not only did he cross it but he stomped on it, set up a picnic around it and gave us a textbook look at how to stall and not get caught.

Maybe not, Vak seems to have caught it.  ;)

Edited by ionel

3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I can't remember where I heard it but now looking it appears at least in my mind to be right. Has anybody else noticed that Nick Lee seems to do better in dual matches than in a tournament relatively speaking? Before anybody has a kitten or ****s their pants I'm talking about relative to what he should do. I didn't think he looked great today after crushing Pletcher a week or so ago. Just wondering

I don’t know...I can’t think of really a tournament where he didn’t do as good as he should have, give or take a match.  There is some evidence in that he beat McKenna last year in dual but lost in tournament.  I really think it’s more that with his style, particularly in his first two years where he didn’t have things as “tightened up” as he does now,  opened himself up to surrendering big points.  A tournament provides a bigger sample size for that to catch up with you.  He’s still had very strong tournament performances though.  His freshman year ncaa, that’s an impressive run for a true freshman losing first round.  Last year at both Big10 and Ncaa, he got caught up in the Demas storm but other than that I wouldn’t say he performed down, he just got beat by the better guy.  

All this talk about stalling and no mention of Lugo's 2nd period parallel ride vs lee. He holds position in the first. Gets the ride out in the second with the double-thigh- pry-and-pushout technique. It completely changes the complexion of the match and forces Lee into risky attacks in the third. Then, Lugo waits around for the inevitable mistake. 

All this talk about stalling and no mention of Lugo's 2nd period parallel ride vs lee. He holds position in the first. Gets the ride out in the second with the double-thigh- pry-and-pushout technique. It completely changes the complexion of the match and forces Lee into risky attacks in the third. Then, Lugo waits around for the inevitable mistake. 
100% meant yo include this. Would have hit Lugo in the second half of that rideout.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Schultz did no more vs Shakur Rasheed  than RBY did vs Desanto, but the difference between most PSU fans and most Iowa fans is that most PSU fans won't call for a Congressional hearing on why the refs should have given the match to Shak. 

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Not being aggressive?  Desanto came forward the whole match and attacked throughout.

Unrelated to your post, but I didn't even bother to mention RBY's double leg WAY out of bounds, because I'm on the record as being all for those kinds of shenanigans, but if that was Desanto, there'd already be a 6 page thread about it.

one would think that attacking the leg which has no arm in front of it would be a good attack.

the arm behind the back thing should be solvable.

didn't desanto do this once and the arm came down and he was able to hit his move after? in a previous match?

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Schultz did no more vs Shakur Rasheed  than RBY did vs Desanto, but the difference between most PSU fans and most Iowa fans is that most PSU fans won't call for a Congressional hearing on why the refs should have given the match to Shak. 

again with the not knowing where someone is from

*goes back and listens to the crowd during and after the match*

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

*goes back and listens to the crowd during and after the match*

emoji848.pngemoji848.pngemoji848.png

I agree. 

i think we should look more at the times earlier in the match when schulz was going after shak and what shak was doing 

yes maybe schulz was stalling...and he was called for it... but shak stalled MORE earlier in the match after the initial takedown 5 seconds in

You guys sound like a bunch of high school parents yelling at a tournament. "Make him wrestle", "What's the guy on top doing?". Sure the opponent is stalling but you have to rely on the ref to call that. You don't really win too many matches on stalling points. If your offense is prolific enough, the stalling of the opponent should be pretty noticeable. Will the ref call it? Not really best to wait until the last 30 seconds of the match to start up your offense

2 minutes ago, krippler said:

You guys sound like a bunch of high school parents yelling at a tournament. "Make him wrestle", "What's the guy on top doing?". Sure the opponent is stalling but you have to rely on the ref to call that. You don't really win too many matches on stalling points. If your offense is prolific enough, the stalling of the opponent should be pretty noticeable. Will the ref call it? Not really best to wait until the last 30 seconds of the match to start up your offense

++

I agree. 
i think we should look more at the times earlier in the match when schulz was going after shak and what shak was doing 
yes maybe schulz was stalling...and he was called for it... but shak stalled MORE earlier in the match after the initial takedown 5 seconds in
Ehhh. Schultz was definitely stalling. I was just pointing out that Penn State fans aren't above that particular fray.

I agree, but Desanto didn't wait until the last 30 seconds for anything. Anyway, it's over now. On to Session 3!

15 minutes ago, krippler said:

True, but sometimes uncalled stalling shorte s the match and makes it almost impossible start up your offense. The lugo / lee match is an example. Lugo stalls the entire 2nd period. Lee has to go for broke early in the 3rd to try to win. Good tactic by lugo.

Every smart wrestlers knows this---if the official isn't going to ding you once for stalling, keep doing what you are until he does. While frustrating, don't blame the wrestler for it. 

Edited by Holtfan

7 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Curious about Nick Lee's Semi match vs Chad Red as I did not watch it. Sometimes the score 7-5 doesn't tell the whole story. How did that match go?

Red got a last second TD to make it look closer than it was. Lee dominated the match. He had a ton of RT to go with his TDs. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I don’t know...I can’t think of really a tournament where he didn’t do as good as he should have, give or take a match.  There is some evidence in that he beat McKenna last year in dual but lost in tournament.  I really think it’s more that with his style, particularly in his first two years where he didn’t have things as “tightened up” as he does now,  opened himself up to surrendering big points.  A tournament provides a bigger sample size for that to catch up with you.  He’s still had very strong tournament performances though.  His freshman year ncaa, that’s an impressive run for a true freshman losing first round.  Last year at both Big10 and Ncaa, he got caught up in the Demas storm but other than that I wouldn’t say he performed down, he just got beat by the better guy.  

Fair enough.

13 hours ago, VakAttack said:

125:  Lee appeared to feel he had something to prove, maybe because medley held him to his only non-bonus win of the season?  I did not see much of the other match, though it looked like Schroder controlled.  Lee by whatever he chooses.

133:  RBY stalled.  He also got the only TD.  Desanto needs a plan when he gets in, he froze up any time RBY went to grab the knee.  Rivera-Gross was AWESOME.  I think they're the two best guys at the weight.  If Desanto can't be there, that would be a great NCAA final.  Rivera DEC RBY.

141:  Surprisingly lackluster by both guys, though both were facing game opponents.  I picked Pletcher to reverse the result from last time, with Lee winning the NCAA title in two weeks, so I'll stick with that.  Pletcher DEC Lee.

149:  Sasso just doing Sasso things out there.  Lugo looked great and controlled.  This match will again come down to whether Lugo can chase down a TD, because Sasso has an advantage on the mat.  Can Sasso dodge all those bullets again?  I say no.  Lugo DEC  Sasso.

157:  A little surprised that Deakin "only" won by 6.  Coleman, meanwhile, had a nice win over Robb, though it was decided by one exchange, basically.  Deakin demolished Coleman earlier this year.  I think only Deakin DEC Coleman here.

165:  Joseph has just completely figured White out.  Felt weird to see White get hit for stalling after RBY never got hit once, but it had no practical effect, Joseph just controlled the match.  Marinelli obviously was fortunate to not have to deal with Evan Wick, who is tough even though Marinelli has beaten him something like 456 times in a row.  He house Oster, as he should have.  Marinelli gets back to his winning ways over Joseph.  Marinelli DEC Joseph.

174:  Kemerer wrestled two different matches.  He demolished Skatzka for the first half, then got stuck underneath for the remaining half.  It was a bizarre sequence where the ref called Skatzka for stalling, when it should have been Kemerer.  Nice heart by Kem to get the late reversal (and back points) to retake the major.  Hall looked good, not great in his match, though he had a really impressive TD off a situation that almost always ends up in a stalemate.  Give me Kemerer again tomorrow, I honestly just think he's better.  Maybe Hall is a bit burned out.  Kemerer DEC Hall.

184:  Brooks-Venz was fun.  Have we ever gotten an explanation why Venz didn't get backpoints after he put Brooks on his back?  Regardless, that cradle Brooks locked up was NASTY, and then his technique was fantastic when Venz broke the grip, ad Brooks settled in for the fall.  Lot of guys give up the position there.  Caffey is a magician out there, defending every shot Assad threw at him.  Assad tried a couple of different finishes than what he did at the dual, and Caffey defended them perfectly.  Brooks appears to have really stepped up his game the second half.  Brooks DEC Caffey.

197:  Moore looked dominant.  Szhultz did not.  Hearing Penn State fans scream for a second stalling call on Schultz was a bit much considering the RBY of it all, but also....Schultz was stalling.  Moore DEC Schultz.

HWT:  Parris looked good, but not great.  Impressively defended Hilger's attacks and found ways to score.  Cass just has nothing for Gable, and it appears he knows it.  He swipes at legs because he knows he'll get countered. So Gable has him beat physically and mentally.  Gable may be an *******, but he's a damned good *******.  I've changed my mind on this one.  Gable DEC Parris.

Good assessment, Vak. My thoughts are that 141 Lee will win a 1-2 pt decision.  Also that Iowa /PSU will each win one of the 165/174 matches, and both results will be reversed at NCAA finals. PSU wins 3.
   I agree 100% on your description of Gable. He is good, but sure lost any respect I had of his character and sportsmanship.