Jimmy Cinnabon

Should "hiding" an arm be an automatic stall call?

It has been employed by multiple wrestlers against Desanto, most recently by RBY.  Should holding an arm behind your back be an automatic stall call?  I vote yes because it's not an offensive move and is only done to prevent the opposing wrestler from attacking succesfully.  It is bad for the sport.

Yup, and so should sealing off on the bottom so as not to give up a wrist or block a leg coming in. Staggered stances are also stalling: you should have to present both legs for attack. Further, blocking leg attacks with either your head, hands, or hips is stalling.

Edited by jackwebster
Gerund problem

hmmm, interesting - I never thought about that, but I guess it could be viewed both ways. One as a legal defensive tactic and one where it could be considered stalling. At least as of yesterday, it's a legal defensive tactic

Edited by Marcus Cisero

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It has been employed by multiple wrestlers against Desanto, most recently by RBY.  Should holding an arm behind your back be an automatic stall call?  I vote yes because it's not an offensive move and is only done to prevent the opposing wrestler from attacking succesfully.  It is bad for the sport.

50 bucks says it's not stalling.

10 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Yup, and so should sealing off on the bottom so as not to give up a wrist or block a leg coming in. Staggered stances are also stalling: you should have to present both legs for attack. Further, blocking leg attacks with either your head, hands, or hips is stalling.

I agree.  Good stuff.  We should take a page from freestyle and make people on bottom "Open Up".  This would encourage scoring, particularly when the top guy has two boots in but can't get a good power half because the bottom guy is allowed to hand fight.

9 minutes ago, Holtfan said:

I recall about 10 years ago or so, fans wanted stalling called when a wrestler (while in neutral) would drop to 1 or 2 knees. Now you see it all the time and it's considered strategy. 

Here is a clue---learn how to combat the tactic or go home. 

Exactly. Wrestling with one hand behind your back is as much of a liability as it is an advantage. Taking it further, if someone wrestled with both arms behind their back it wouldn’t be considered strategic or stalling - it would be a huge gift to their opponent.

If a wrestler can’t take down an opponent who is wrestling one-armed, it’s kind of on them.

1 minute ago, Holtfan said:

It's not stalling if the wrestler states "I can beat you with one arm behind my back!!"

And then does!! 

All the while lolligagging around the mat. But maybe RBY is just that much better than Austin Desanto right now. I would have thought the Brands would have an answer by now, but maybe this is more on Austin Desanto. Or maybe RBY is just way too damn quick for Austin to do much about it. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

All the while lolligagging around the mat. But maybe RBY is just that much better than Austin Desanto right now. I would have thought the Brands would have an answer by now, but maybe this is more on Austin Desanto. Or maybe RBY is just way too damn quick for Austin to do much about it. 

They have two weeks to work on an answer.  I suspect they may come up with something. Now.....will that something be effective?  Perhaps we find out in a couple weeks. 

Just now, Holtfan said:

They have two weeks to work on an answer.  I suspect they may come up with something. Now.....will that something be effective?  Perhaps we find out in a couple weeks. 

We'll see, maybe. 

Some brutally horrible comparisons here. Now, I am not saying it is always stalling, but it definitely can be and is in certain situations. Remember, this isn’t Freestyle. Stalling is NOT about lack of controlling the mat. It is about NOT trying to improve your position. 

So, with that in mind, there are times when RBY is stalling with it and times he is not. Same goes with the one good comparison of dropping to a knee. If you use them to bait a guy into a position and then attack, it is a legitimate setup. RBY’s takedown of DeSanto in their 1st match was a good example. 

However, if you use it to keep as much of you body disengaged from you opponent as possible and are content to stay in that position it IS stalling. 

Finally, if you use it for 6:00’s or so after getting a takedown without a single fully committed attack, there definitely is some stalling going on.  Still, a great strategy that has worked very well so far!

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

Exactly. Wrestling with one hand behind your back is as much of a liability as it is an advantage. Taking it further, if someone wrestled with both arms behind their back it wouldn’t be considered strategic or stalling - it would be a huge gift to their opponent.

If a wrestler can’t take down an opponent who is wrestling one-armed, it’s kind of on them.

If you were constantly moving forward while disengaged with your hand behind your back it would be. 

If you were fully engaging with it behind you back it would be. 

If you attacked with it behind your back it would be. 

If you use it the way RBY does, please tell me what attacks he opens himself up to. 

I will I’ll tell you one. 

1. ) a left handed single to RBY’s right leg, which is very hard for most wrestlers and happened to be RBY’s best defensive and counter position. So, in the case of RBY, it is the next best position he wants to be in. Far from a liability. 

Edited by MSU158

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

If you use it the way RBY does, please tell me what attacks he opens himself up to. 

The single leg. The one that Desanto gets to with EASE on RBY, but just isn't good enough to finish clean on. 

1 minute ago, Holtfan said:

You mean, anyone other than this guy?  :D :D :D 

Image result for iowa wrestling stalling

They may need to bring in the big gun on this one. Gable used the left arm up and the right arm extended. The opposite of Brands.

image.jpeg.82dc39e9affa04fef6ad52ead1caf3cb.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The single leg. The one that Desanto gets to with EASE on RBY, but just isn't good enough to finish clean on. 

I actually added that before your response posted. But, that just so happens to be RBY’s favorite position, while it is a left handed single that I would bet has the lowest percentage of finishes in DI as a whole. Simply put, it opens RBY to the one position he is happy to be in. 

RBY isn’t Randy Lewis, but he is really good at that position and calling not finishing a weakness of the offensive guy isn’t really accurate. 

I don't know how to frame this joke ... but, I don't know what the folks complaining about RBY hiding his arm want. Can your opponent only wrestle in a way that allows you to get to your best positions? 

Edited by jackwebster

I kind of think that RBY putting one arm very obviously behind his back is more of a mind game than some sort of positional tactic. If he wanted to keep ADS from catching his left arm, there are much more subtle ways of doing so. Seems like he does it more to frustrate ADS and get in his head, bc that’s the way to beat him. 

What’s weird is that DeSanto doesn’t need that arm. We know he is able to create offense without the arm clamp but for some reason he maybe fixates on it and then can’t get anything started.

OTOH, RBY needs to have a plan for when ADS starts using the right arm or works from space. Again, that one-armed thing seems like a liability and he’ll end up paying for it once DeSanto learns to adjust.