Jimmy Cinnabon

Should "hiding" an arm be an automatic stall call?

Just now, Daybreak said:

In a way you could compare it to being on the bottom and hidding your arms under your body. You're producing a strategy to not give your opponent your arm, but you're also not trying to get out of the bottom which is why stalling gets called on the bottom guy. It's sort of the same concept here. Hiding your arm, backing up, avoiding action, not engaging. 

I’m not sure if tucking arms in on bottom increases one’s risk of getting scored on, whereas wrestling one-handed from neutral does. JMO.

2 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Hiding your arm, backing up, avoiding action, not engaging. 

Did he hold the arm back? Yes (not much different than holding a leg back, eh?)
Did he back up? No
Did he avoid action? No
Did he not engage? No

In order for this to be stalling, at least one, if not all, of the last three need to occur.  They did not. 

Just now, Holtfan said:

Did he hold the arm back? Yes (not much different than holding a leg back, eh?)
Did he back up? No
Did he avoid action? No
Did he not engage? No

In order for this to be stalling, at least one, if not all, of the last three need to occur.  They did not. 

Was not aware that there is a torso between the legs. 

22 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Name the PSU match where I complained about a PSU opponent stalling. I don't complain about stalling so I don't think such a match exists. 

TBar1977 less than three hours ago: : "That call came at 0:50 left in period 2, and not only did Lee take a shot just immediately before the call but he had taken three prior shots in the 2nd period. Also, instantly after Lee took that shot Pletcher countered by lowering his head and bull rushing Lee off the mat with his arms extended - the very definition of pushing the opponent off the mat. That stall call against Lee was an example of poor officiating imo. "

Edited 2 hours ago by TBar1977

Edited by AHamilton

On 3/8/2020 at 8:33 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It has been employed by multiple wrestlers against Desanto, most recently by RBY.  Should holding an arm behind your back be an automatic stall call?  I vote yes because it's not an offensive move and is only done to prevent the opposing wrestler from attacking succesfully.  It is bad for the sport.

What about not paying your debts?

1 hour ago, BadgerMon said:

Disagree with the one knee stalling argument. Circle and shove him over. Head snap, arm drag, whatever. Lots of opportunities there.

I realize that there are ways to attack such a stance, but it doesn't change the fact that going to one knee (to avoid leg attacks) IS stalling, IMO.

3 hours ago, fullnelson said:

I realize that there are ways to attack such a stance, but it doesn't change the fact that going to one knee (to avoid leg attacks) IS stalling, IMO.

I guess the definition of stalling is the deliberate non-attempt to score, so you are literally right about that.

The OP raises a fair question. I'm posting this Youtube that hopefully will open at the 2:30 mark in the video where RBY's arm is back just before a strong offensive leg attack using both arms. I'm in the camp that it can be considering stalling if that's all you do, but wrestling with one arm and your opponent still doesn't score, it's worth looking at that one trick pony as well. Shak is a great example how his opponents don't even tease him with a cradle look because he'll take it. 

4 minutes ago, Holtfan said:

So the next time a wrestler sprawls on a shot, he should be hit with stalling, since he's not engaging his opponent. First time and every time. 

Nope, but sprawl a bunch of times in a row without doing anything offensive, you are almost certainly going to get hit for stalling.  Sort of the same thing with the arm behind the back.  By itself, it isn't necessarily stalling.  When you do it, how exactly you do it and how long you do it are key factors.

5 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Nope, but sprawl a bunch of times in a row without doing anything offensive, you are almost certainly going to get hit for stalling. 

It was being ironical, my friend.

Sort of the same thing with the arm behind the back.  By itself, it isn't necessarily stalling.  When you do it, how exactly you do it and how long you do it are key factors.

Which is exactly what I said. It isn't as if he was doing it and NOT engaging....he was engaging, just with an arm back.  It wasn't "running away" from the opponent, he was right in his grill. 

If John Smith were were to hit the mats now and suddenly spring his Low to the Mat antics we would hear people screaming "stalling" all day long - even as he used them to get in close and nail takedowns with his low single. When he started the low to the mat antics many were hollering it was "not right" and "stand up and wrestle" among a lot of other more colorful descriptors.

I'll let the refs call stalling when they think it is happening and hope they get more consistent so wrestlers won't have to play a guessing game.

If J

its funny people brought up the hiding an arm on bottom

that would be stalling.

interesting.

at first I thought that no, I should be able to wrestle how I want. keeping the arm back shouldn't be stalling.

but after thinking about that... 

I am not presenting... that might be stalling.

that said..

anthony robles stalled every match.

LOL JK JK

On 3/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, TBar1977 said:

Name the PSU match where I complained about a PSU opponent stalling. I don't complain about stalling so I don't think such a match exists. 

On 3/8/2020 at 4:24 PM, TBar1977 said:

Thats 2 or 3 crap stall calls. Refs should let them settle it on the mat.

perhaps this was a make up call from yesterday against Lydy? 

btw, i was told PSU fans dont gripe about stall calls

On 3/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, fullnelson said:

Staying on one knee in neutral should be stalling; watch Barone and Young match; notice Barone's adjustment in the 3rd pd compared to the 1st, yet stalling is almost never called in this tournament.

i agree with this

unless you are anthony robles

On 3/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, WillieBoy said:

If a wrestler wears shoes the color of the mat or close to it they should automatically get a stall call. Can't tell if they are moving around if the shoes blend in!

boise state was actually sanctioned in some way for this by the ncaa in football

On 3/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, Marcus Cisero said:

hmmm, interesting - I never thought about that, but I guess it could be viewed both ways. One as a legal defensive tactic and one where it could be considered stalling. At least as of yesterday, it's a legal defensive tactic

As long as you're still engaging, and trying to get to your offense, I don't see the problem.

13 hours ago, GockeS said:
  On 3/8/2020 at 4:24 PM, TBar1977 said:

Thats 2 or 3 crap stall calls. Refs should let them settle it on the mat.

perhaps this was a make up call from yesterday against Lydy? 

btw, i was told PSU fans dont gripe about stall calls

Gocke, you have posted this in multiple threads. Here is what you are missing. I am saying Iowa fans plead for stalling to be called way too frequently. My complaint on those 2 or 3 calls is they too should not have been made. That is being consistent, not being hypocritical. 

Stalling is called too frequently and too inconsistently.

40 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Gocke, you have posted this in multiple threads. Here is what you are missing. I am saying Iowa fans plead for stalling to be called way too frequently. My complaint on those 2 or 3 calls is they too should not have been made. That is being consistent, not being hypocritical. 

Stalling is called too frequently and too inconsistently.

lol thats not what you argue when you argue about hawkeyes not being called for stalling

but yeah i have to give you credit for creativity

and im not sure if 2 is counted as multiple. you asked the question "when have i griped about stalling" again in THIS thread , after I had posted this in another thread without a response. so i helpfully reminded you of it

Edited by GockeS