26 minutes ago, nom said:

any word on Gray?  Did I read there is an injury?

Nothing official and no details, but it sounded like the MFF might have been precautionary, so maybe not a serious injury. FWIW, she said she’ll be good to go at trials.

Edited by pamela

Your recurring PSA... this is the annual Pan Am Championships, open to all countries in the americas.

Next week is the specific Pan Am Olympic Qualifier which is only for countries / weights that have not yet qualified for the Olympics.

So far..

Cruz 57 Bronze

Graff 61 Gold

Yianni 65 Gold

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.
Stop trolling haha yes this tournament has essentially no meaning. You do win some ranking points though.
And gave Nolf and Ashnault an easier path to team trials

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.

I know you read these boards - this has been highlighted over and over and over ... 

SnyderMan tech’ed Salas for the Gold. His biggest margin of victory over the Cuban. 
Also Big Tony Nelson got a great win over Hinds. ( maybe Nelson’s best international win )? Anyway, darn good day for the US MFS Wrestlers. Looking forward to the Olympic qualifier. 

6 hours ago, de4856 said:

SnyderMan tech’ed Salas for the Gold. His biggest margin of victory over the Cuban. 
Also Big Tony Nelson got a great win over Hinds. ( maybe Nelson’s best international win )? Anyway, darn good day for the US MFS Wrestlers. Looking forward to the Olympic qualifier. 

No idea where this ranks among Tony Nelson's wins but I wouldn't say Hinds is a great win for any FS wrestler. Pino Hinds is a greco guy who had to switch to FS within the last year because Cuba has the HW spot in greco set aside for Lopez. 

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

My bad!

It's actually very confusing. This event is called Pan Am. But it's NOT part of the Pan Am games, which were held last year in Lima, Peru. https://www.panamsports.org/sport-events/lima-2019-pan-american-games/.

But it's also not an Olympic qualifier. That starts in just a few days in the same place. What? Why?

25 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It's actually very confusing. This event is called Pan Am. But it's NOT part of the Pan Am games, which were held last year in Lima, Peru. https://www.panamsports.org/sport-events/lima-2019-pan-american-games/.

But it's also not an Olympic qualifier. That starts in just a few days in the same place. What? Why?

The Pan Am Games happens every four years in the year before the Olympics and like the Olympics includes multiple sports. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Games

United World Wrestling has regional championships every year. Ours is call the Pan American Championships - and it is completely separate from the Pan Am Games.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Wrestling_Championships

For Olympic qualifying, a country can qualify a spot via the 2019 world championships, the 2020 regional qualifier, or the global last chance qualifier. After the 2019 worlds, only countries that haven't qualified a spot can participate in the subsequent qualifiers. Next week is the Pan Am Olympic Games Qualifier - again, only open to countries that have not yet qualified the weight. https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/pan-american-og-qualifier

So think about Pan Am as a regional term just like Europe or Asia. It is used for multiple events.

20 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

Anyone catch Yianni’s matches? If so, how’d he look?

You can see some video clips on Cornell's Instagram. Wasn't the greatest competition so it's hard to tell. He wasn't happy with the first couple of matches where he was shaking off some rust - but the final was "blink and you missed it.'

https://www.instagram.com/bigredwrestling/

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

How bout that Gomez vs Burroughs match though? Doesnt get much chippier...

I'm so excited for JB Vs Dake

I have a feeling Imar vs Dake will be electric as well.

Edited by misterc

Will the finals of the trials be a best of 3 to get to the best of 3 (final x) or at those weights (74kg and 97kg) will it be 1 match all the way through until they meet Snyder/Burroughs

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:
1 hour ago, misterc said:

Will the finals of the trials be a best of 3 to get to the best of 3 (final x) or at those weights (74kg and 97kg) will it be 1 match all the way through until they meet Snyder/Burroughs

No, sounds like all final matches of part 1 will be one match only unless there is a delay due to injury or illness.  From the procedures:

Part One of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling will determine who will wrestle the 2019 World Championship Olympic weight medalist in Part Two (the 2019 World Championship Olympic weight medalist earns a bye‐out of Part One, provided he is competing in the same Olympic weight category in which he won his World Championship medal).  The finals of Part One will be a single match unless there is a delay to Part Two, in which case Part One will be the best‐of‐three matches.  (For information regarding a delay to Part Two, see below.)  All best‐of‐three matches occur on day #2 of the Olympic Trials.