Class

Austin Desanto adjusting?

Since he is so polarizing why not another thread?  He now has 0 takedowns in three consecutive matches.  I don’t know that I have witnessed an overly active buzz saw shut down in sooo many positions.  What is going on in his head and why are the Brands struggling so much with the big right leg lead left arm back tactic.  Bizarre that a basically in-defended single to the left leg is a position he wants nothing to do with all of the sudden.

I think the poor choice of top by Lovett really gave Desanto that match.  He had ADS completely shut down on the feet.

Edited by Class

3 minutes ago, Perry said:

Desanto is also somewhat one dimensional as a wrestler. Very good at what he's good at, but the arsenal is somewhat limited

^ This - plus his confidence has likely been shaken over the course of this season.  First, he beats Gross and vaults to # 1 in the rankings.  Then Gross avenges the loss and RBY beats him 2x in a row.  And, as the OP points out, while once known as a TD buzz saw, he just had 0 TDs in three consecutive matches at B1Gs.  I'm worried he may go off the rails again.  (<;

Totally agree with Perry. DeSanto's skillset is limited. I think it's good enough to win it all, though. He needs to learn tactics, how to be savvy. Gross is a savvy dude, you other guys know what I mean I hope. Squirrely, knows the rules. Long, skinny body on him, he can't be that strong, but he gets great results. DeSanto could learn from Gross. 

I admire DeSanto's effort, though. Always moving, always trying to score. Love the aggression. I think the other top wrestlers have figured how to counter his best stuff, though. RBY holding an arm behind his back....wow, I'd have never done that, or ever thought of it. Worked like a charm though, deny DeSanto a wrist/arm to work with and his stuff isn't elite. Tommy should have the chops to figure how to beat that 1 armed approach or his ass should be canned! Just kidding, but I bet Tommy has a counter the next time prepared for DeSanto to use against that unorthodox appoach by RBY. Wonder who taught RBY that tactic? 

Edited by TobusRex

RBY used that tactic last season.  Right?  If they haven't figured it out yet, I'm not sure they are going to in the next two weeks.  I think there is more going on besides that.  He seems less confident in the progression of his finishes when he does attack.  If he us hurt, I hope he heals up by Nationals.  This might be the most interesting weight class and his fading would make it less fun.  

The Decatur match makes me question the non-100% thing though.  While Fix and likely Suriano are back next year I think a healthy Micic is a nightmare for Desanto.  Last year at NCAAs Micic was very limited and still was not threatened by ADS.  Point being I don’t think an NCAA title is happening next year.

8 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Totally agree with Perry. DeSanto's skillset is limited. I think it's good enough to win it all, though. He needs to learn tactics, how to be savvy. Gross is a savvy dude, you other guys know what I mean I hope. Squirrely, knows the rules. Long, skinny body on him, he can't be that strong, but he gets great results. DeSanto could learn from Gross. 

ADS is definitely good enough to win it all just with his motor and relentless pace - it reminds me of the old school “Iowa style”. That being said, there’s still room for improvement. He has to gain mental toughness and confidence in his wrestling abilities outside of his one go-to dimension.

I guess I don't really see what you all are seeing. His issue isn't his attack rate. He's not finishing right now. He was in deep 5-6 times against Lovett, 3-4 times against RBY, and another several times against Piotrowski.

The game plan is clear. Force him to go to his single. He's not an effective finisher there. If you can keep him off his dump/high crotch, you can slow him down. 

It's definitely not an attack rate thing. He's still attacking at a high volume. He's just not executing.

This reminds me of a Cowboy FR awhile back. Won't mention the name here, but he had a pretty great FR year going, getting lots of pins/wins against even top guys. But he had a limited skillset, all flashy stuff, but when the kids adjusted his results became very average. I don't think that'll happen to DeSanto, he's too strong and has too good a motor. DeSanto needs to LEARN a little flash, I think :D 

Give Tommy a chance to work with him, now that I'm sure he's identified the problem. Let's see how well he coaches him up for NCAAs. 

He is getting “in” and stopping.  As in very quick and clear settle for a stalemate before.  Particularly when taking the left leg single that guys are gift wrapping for him.  I never noticed it ever before with him but it has been constant for 3 str8 matches.

6 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I guess I don't really see what you all are seeing. His issue isn't his attack rate. He's not finishing right now. He was in deep 5-6 times against Lovett, 3-4 times against RBY, and another several times against Piotrowski.

The game plan is clear. Force him to go to his single. He's not an effective finisher there. If you can keep him off his dump/high crotch, you can slow him down. 

It's definitely not an attack rate thing. He's still attacking at a high volume. He's just not executing.

Applause!!!

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Applause!!!

He was actually in deep more on RBY than I remember too. Got elbow deep on a leg 4 times and had 2-3 whizzer seatbelt positions on the edge too (where he scores a lot). Just couldn't finish. If he finishes 2 of those 6 opportunities he wins. RBY executed. He didn't.

28 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

He was actually in deep more on RBY than I remember too. Got elbow deep on a leg 4 times and had 2-3 whizzer seatbelt positions on the edge too (where he scores a lot). Just couldn't finish. If he finishes 2 of those 6 opportunities he wins. RBY executed. He didn't.

Exactly. RBY executed, he didn't. 

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Exactly. RBY executed, he didn't. 

Which is why I haven't criticized RBY, just the official that didn't warn him. Great wrestling from Roman and if the officials let him, he should keep doing it.

I do think the slam at the end was a little bush league. Would like to see him conduct himself a little better though I understand the rivalry. It also wasn't smart. The ref very easily could have sent it to OT because of that.

Edited by uncle bernard