Katie

A new era at Iowa?

Iowa used to have a bad-boy reputation. Brands, for example, once said that "[w]hen I get on top of an opponent, I want to rip out his arm and hand back a bloody stump. ... I thrive on the brutality of the sport."

But now that the entire Hawkeye lineup is imported from out of state, they seem to have adopted a new philosophy. S. Lee -- soon-to-be the best Hawkeye of all time -- is just smiling and having fun like every tournament is surprise birthday party for him. Lugo wants nothing more than to work on his technique, strategy, and beach body. Bull just wants to respect his opponents. Kemerer might actually be an accountant. Some of you might bring up ADS, but we've all seen how Brands watches him like a mother hawk watches a hatchling. 

So... is it just me or has Iowa entered a new chapter in its history?

Edited by Katie

It took a while but T&T have evolved.

If they win the title in 2 weeks and challenge for one next year, their recruiting relevance will go through the roof.

Even though I'm a PA guy, Murin and Young were not superstar recruits and it shows now.  Better recruits will be on the way.

Just now, Boompa said:

It took a while but T&T have evolved.

If they win the title in 2 weeks and challenge for one next year, their recruiting relevance will go through the roof.

Even though I'm a PA guy, Murin and Young were not superstar recruits and it shows now.  Better recruits will be on the way.

39973554994_7a0cde354e_o_d.jpg

Iowa is adopting the PA philosophy of wrestling. They are focusing recruiting on primo PA recruits...and that is why they are going to win NCAAs soon.  It's all about PA style and PA guys.  Iowa style push shove and no smiling is dead.  PA style fun free flowing wrestling wins titles.

The under performances and exhausted body language from the mid 2010s are gone.  

The fact that Tom Brands has done it by getting kids who show a different look than he and his brother were known for is remarkable and it's a sign of great maturity and leadership the way he and Terry have mixed their intensity with these kids' fresher feel.

The story about him driving all night to speak man to man with Kemerer and convince him they wanted the same thing will probably go down as the creation story of the new program.

Kemerer is so quiet and modest that you don't necessarily notice his originalist role here.

But -- no Kemerer, no Lee.  No Kemerer, no dual win over PSU.  Kemerer comes back from injury, the team hits another level. 

Kemerer's interview on Flo after his match today blew me away.  If they could bottle his attitude I'd buy it like coronavirus panic shoppers were buying Purell last week.  

I think Tom Brands has matured and grown into a fine man and coach.  He is a tremendous ambassador for this sport.  It's no wonder so many of the PA boys are going to him.  Every time I listen to one of his recent interviews I realize that he isn't that brash and confrontational kid any more.  He is wise and effective beyond his years.  He has been head coach for close to 15 years, he is a husband, father and fantastic mentor to a lot of young men.  It's hard not to love both Tom and Terry and what they do for the sport.

Edited by The Downington Destroyer

Coach Brands has almost found a way to duplicate his double-class from VT with the transfers of Lugo and Desanto. Nice tweak of the formula.

10 years was way too long for Iowa to not be the NCAA champs!  Longest span in my lifetime.

I wouldn't say recruiting out of state kids represents a new era for Iowa.  Some of their greatest wrestlers were from out of state:  Randy Lewis,  Ed and Lou Banach, Brad Penrith, Rico Chiparelli, Chris Campbell, Terry and Troy Steiner, Brent Metcalf, Lincoln McIlravy, Steve Mocco, Tony Ramos, Bill Zadick and Joe and TJ Williams are all out of staters.

Premature praise at this point. Brands is doing a good job but his main competitor is on a down year and hit with injuries at too many weights. He better get the guys ready or he'll find it impossible to win it all.

For some reason Cael's guys looked flat. Maybe some of that is competition better prepared for them, maybe not. But they did not look like they were going for it. To paraphrase a former Iowa wrestler... "were content to lose by ...".

Iowa still has to earn it, one match at a time. They should be able to do it but nothing is guaranteed. Everyone else is stepping up and Iowa is the target this time. Can they handle the pressure?

6 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

Coach Brands has almost found a way to duplicate his double-class from VT with the transfers of Lugo and Desanto. Nice tweak of the formula.

10 years was way too long for Iowa to not be the NCAA champs!  Longest span in my lifetime.

Bitter much?  Keep sucking up to PSU who doesn't recruit out of PA anymore.

But when PSU is back on top with Kerv, will you be silent then?  How were you when Andrew Long helped PSU win their first national title?

What about their deferred enrollments, med redshirts, etc?

You are a pathetic little man who turned a positive post into a negative.

Former Marine here too punk.

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

But when PSU is back on top with Kerv, will you be silent then?  How were you when Andrew Long helped PSU win their first national title?

You definitely put me in place, my humble thanks!

From how whiny you appear in this post, you must have been a zero, because you're a Captain save-a-ho in this thread.  And officer or not, you certainly sound like a you were a pog.

9 hours ago, southend said:

This is all BS(Bull ****)! Program the same, Brands the same. You guys will start a thread about anything.  Cinnabon syndrome. Soap opera.  

PA like Iowa recruits heavily out of state.  Suriano was from Jersey, RBY is from Arizona, , Nicke Lee is from Indiana, Berge and Hall are both from Minnesota, Aaron Brooks is from Maryland,  Bo Nickal was from Texas, and the Nevils are from California.  

13 hours ago, Boompa said:

Whoa tuff guy Marine act lol. Gotta love these key board killers

On 3/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, PSUSMC said:

You definitely put me in place, my humble thanks!

From how whiny you appear in this post, you must have been a zero, because you're a Captain save-a-ho in this thread.  And officer or not, you certainly sound like a you were a pog.

Oh...you must be the message board grunt.

Want to know the difference between real Marines and you???

You never know who the real Marines were.  Bragging is for the Army PSUSMC.

Punk.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, Boompa said:

Oh...you must be the message board grunt.

Want to know the difference between real Marines and you???

You never know who the real Marines were.  Bragging is for the Army PSUSMC.

Punk.

I was going to let this go, but then the "Bragging is for the Army" kind of stuck out.

Guess you never had an Army QRF or medevac help you out?  It's typically the do nothing, never deployed that throw out inter-service shots for no reason. I had more in common with 11Bravos and others in the Army than I did with most Marine Corps pogs.

But I bet you have some good boot camp stories though, don't you warfighter?

And you were the one that brought up service, along with your toughness, when your feels got hurt in this thread.