Sign in to follow this  
pamela

Nick Lee adjusting?

First off, let me preface this by saying I’m a huge Nick Lee fan. He’s been really fun to watch this season and his style has flashes of Nolf (others say Zain) which is pretty cool. That being said, does it look like he’s been losing some of his offensive versatility on his feet? 

Maybe it’s just me but this season it seems like he almost always goes left on his attacks (shoots for his opponent’s right leg or ducks/scoots to his opponent’s right). In the past, he used to mix it up with kneepicks, snatch singles or single legs to blast doubles on his right (opponent’s left leg) much more frequently, but not so much now. 

To his credit, it’s been very effective all season long, and he scrambles well from any position so why change anything, but I bet if someone moneyballed Nick Lee’s offense it would show that he pretty much exclusively attacks to his opponents’ right side. He mixes it up a little bit against lesser opponents, but he really seems to favor just one side in big matches.

Maybe that’s why Joey McKenna, who leads with his left leg, gave Lee some problems in the past. Also Mike Carr, I think? I was kind of expecting Pletcher to modify his stance at B1Gs and keep his right leg out of Lee’s reach.

Idk if any of this is actually a big deal but it seems like Nick’s heavy reliance on one side is the type of thing opponents could scout and gameplan for at nationals, so hopefully he’s been drilling his attacks on both sides. 

I wish Sasso had Lee's arsenal.  Can Sasso even shoot?  I think Nick Lee will be alright.  I haven't paid as close of attention as you.  But Pletcher wrestled a really good match and still didn't win by much at all. 

I would pick Lee heavily over Pletcher in finals if both made it. 

4 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I wish Sasso had Lee's arsenal.  Can Sasso even shoot?  I think Nick Lee will be alright.  I haven't paid as close of attention as you.  But Pletcher wrestled a really good match and still didn't win by much at all. 

Heavily? Hard to imagine someone picking him heavily after seeing their two bouts. Pletcher even seems to have the advantage on their feet. I said after their first match that Pletcher was going to have to score more than once to beat Lee because of his relentlessness, and he was able to do that this time around. The first match he tried to play defense the whole match after the first takedown and it bit him in the ass. I would predict their next match, given they meet again, would be another barn burner.

42 minutes ago, southend said:

Lee won’t beat pletcher again 

Ha ha.  Yeah, because Pletcher absolutely dominated that match.  I love Pletcher, but I put my money on Cael and crew to make the necessary adjustments.  

19 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

its not about having an "arsenal" its about wrestling hard. All these d1 guys can drill it all. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with peaking? Nick Lee always wrestles an insanely high pace, if you’re not in shape he’ll eventually break you. That seemed to happen to Pletcher at the dual. Maybe these guys train for March and are just now in sufficient shape? 

19 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with peaking? Nick Lee always wrestles an insanely high pace, if you’re not in shape he’ll eventually break you. That seemed to happen to Pletcher at the dual. Maybe these guys train for March and are just now in sufficient shape? 

I think in the dual Pletcher was demoralized because of the back to back stall calls. 

I’ll say the same thing I said after the first match, Lee needs to get his hands back down. His hands were higher than he usually has him in the first match. I felt he needed to fix that because I thought Pletcher would make the adjustments to be able to finish next time around. Lee had high hands throughout this second match and Pletcher was able to get underneath and past them with enough to be able to finish. When Lee has his hands in good position, and his feet moving, is when Pletcher has had tough times in their two matches and Lee has been able to score. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’ll say the same thing I said after the first match, Lee needs to get his hands back down. His hands were higher than he usually has him in the first match. I felt he needed to fix that because I thought Pletcher would make the adjustments to be able to finish next time around. Lee had high hands throughout this second match and Pletcher was able to get underneath and past them with enough to be able to finish. When Lee has his hands in good position, and his feet moving, is when Pletcher has had tough times in their two matches and Lee has been able to score. 

WOW! positions wins...why didn't everyone ever think of it before.

28 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

based on what? 

I think he adjusted to his loss and believe we haven’t seen the best yet out of either of them yet . But I do think Pletcher is more sound in his wrestling . This match will be epic  if it happens in finals . Right up there with cenzo / Mari .    

Many people have suggested the key to Pletcher beating Lee is getting out from bottom. Pletcher not only got out from bottom at the beginning of the 2nd period, he also did after he was taken down. That was key for him winning this last match.

I rewatched it last night and I counted 19 shots from Lee in periods 1 and 2 (10 and 9 respectively). That's a shot every 15.7 seconds. That went down to 3 in period ...he gassed himself out.

Edited by DocBZ

These predictions are all amusingly inane. They have split two close matches. No one can say with certainty who will win the third. It's as if I flipped a coin twice and got one heads and one tails. Some folks would declare with unbridled confidence that the third flip would be tails -- or heads.