Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Cisero

Sebastian Rivera Wins OW

Rivera beat the 1, 4 and 2nd seed and did so convincingly. Many of us knew he would right from the start.

Man how I wish he came back down to 125 so he could beat Spencer Lee a 3rd time!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

50 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Rivera beat the 1, 4 and 2nd seed and did so convincingly. Many of us knew he would right from the start.

Man how I wish he came back down to 125 so he could beat Spencer Lee a 3rd time!

the one point win over Gross was done convincingly?

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

the one point win over Gross was done convincingly?

That match could definitely go either way, but after the first two quick takedowns, he seemed to control the pace of the rest of the match.  It's going to be interesting to see after another two weeks if Rivera continues to improve since he was limited for most of the season, but also to see if Gross peaks and has enough gas at nationals.  

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Can’t always go by the final score. Steveson 8-6 over Parris is nowhere near indicative of how the match went. 

So did you think Rivera's win over Gross was done in convincing fashion?

2 minutes ago, jchapman said:

So did you think Rivera's win over Gross was done in convincing fashion?

Honestly haven’t seen the match yet, so don’t know. Just saying final score is not always indicative of the match, hence the Gable/Parris example. I’ll watch it sometime today. 

Edited by Lurker

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Honestly haven’t seen the match yet, so don’t know. Just saying final score is not always indicative of the match, hence the Gable/Parris example. I’ll watch it sometime today. 

I’m picking Rivera in the rematch maybe, but it is 50/50 I think

Rivera wrestled great. Well deserved MOW.

Wonder how seeding shakes out at 133 for the NCAA tourney. I don't agree with it but Tucker is undefeated. Wonder if theyll seed it..

1Rivera

2Tucker

3Gross

4RBY

5Desanto

6 Phillipi

Id actually like to see Desanto get the 7th seed if Tucker is the 2. I think that's the only way he reaches the semis. Yes, I lnow Tucker beat him 2 years ago, I don't think that happens again. 

In fact, whoever gets the 7 seed, I predict upsets tucker and reaches the semis. Be it Piotriwoski, Lovett, Phillipi, etc etc. 

Edited by Cementmixer103

I know there is a Rutgers contingent that think Seabass could graduate and transfer to New Brunswick for his final season.  (Not sure this makes sense with Suriano in limbo and Alvarez progressing well but with redshirts and juggling weight classes, who knows?).  Anyway, the New Jersey shout outs post match have to make you wonder.  

Edited by ironmonkey
wrong name/Monday morning mixup

Jeez, you sure you'd put Tucker at #2? I'd probably put DeSanto ahead of that guy. Tucker, tops, maybe should be a 5 seed. He's unbeaten, but he has barely beaten the few low AA contenders he's wrestled this year (Alvarez, Bridges). 

Should be: 

1. Rivera

2. RBY

3. Gross

4. DeSanto

5. Tucker

Just now, Frank_Rizzo said:

If Rivera is so into being from New Jersey, why didn't he choose to wrestle for Princeton, Rutgers, or Rider, re: his post-match interview?  

He once told me he had a good connection with Storniolo. He waited until the day after the change to announce.

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

He once told me he had a good connection with Storniolo. He waited until the day after the change to announce.

I didn’t know that. Thought it was bc Glory verbaled to Princeton and Suriano hadn’t transferred to Rutgers yet.

9 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

If Rivera is so into being from New Jersey, why didn't he choose to wrestle for Princeton, Rutgers, or Rider, re: his post-match interview?  

Frank Rizzo - one of my all time favorite characters from the Jerkey Boys ("open up your ears jacka** - the business across the street). Remember that? I know I do - I still have the cassette!   

All kidding aside, Rivera stole his thunder by letting loose like that during the post match interview. Yea, he accomplished a big thing in front of his home crowd but sometimes one has think before opening ones mouth, especially on live TV. 

Either way, I'm happy for the young man and his performance on the mat against the nations best. It only inspires those at the high school level who will soon have the same opportunity he is enjoying today.

Sebastian Rivera will be this years 133lb National Champ and he would have done it at 125lb as well.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

1 minute ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Sebastian Rivera will be this years 133lb National Champ and he would have done it at 125lb as well.

If he wins 133 this year, I would love to see him Vision Quest after Lee at 125 next season. Sure, Micic ad Fix, maybe Suriano and Vito will be back at 133 but Spencer Lee will probably be the real Shute as a likely 3xer. It would be an epic matchup.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Jeez, you sure you'd put Tucker at #2? I'd probably put DeSanto ahead of that guy. Tucker, tops, maybe should be a 5 seed. He's unbeaten, but he has barely beaten the few low AA contenders he's wrestled this year (Alvarez, Bridges). 

Should be: 

1. Rivera

2. RBY

3. Gross

4. DeSanto

5. Tucker

You have RBY ahead of Gross?

12 minutes ago, pamela said:

If he wins 133 this year, I would love to see him Vision Quest after Lee at 125 next season. Sure, Micic ad Fix, maybe Suriano and Vito will be back at 133 but Spencer Lee will probably be the real Shute as a likely 3xer. It would be an epic matchup.

I gave you a "like" but wanted to follow up and add one more thing. You are one of the few who picked him from the beginning and you were right. That 2 sentence paragraph you just shared has a lot of weight to those of us who recall the movie when it first hit the big screen back in the day. Thanks for such a impactful response!

29 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

All kidding aside, Rivera stole his thunder by letting loose like that during the post match interview. Yea, he accomplished a big thing in front of his home crowd but sometimes one has think before opening ones mouth, especially on live TV. 

Stole his thunder?  I'm not sure what that means? 

The kid has a lot of personality and was playing to the crowd.  It was a great day for Jersey wrestling.   Possibly 2nd best ever after last year's Nationals, despite the young team faring poorly.

Great weekend.  Well run.  Lots of happy faces in the RAC.