headshuck

Scorer’s table interference?

In finals, Steveson had both ankles of Parris inside the circle, but Parris was well into the scorer’s table. No TD was the call.

They must have known the table was too close. What if someone got hurt?

Should it have been called a TD? What happens when something else gets in the way, like a photographer? Is a TD waved off?

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Didn't RBY hit the scorer's table at NCAAs last year? 

Yes that one looked about the same as at Rutgers.

I know HS has a rule where if someone touches off the mat as a whole, they're out of bounds.  Not sure if it's the same in college.

would parris have simply stopped where he was and allowed him to get the ankles...i think not

not to mention that no other supporting point was down

Edited by GockeS

During that sequence, I actually thought Gable was going to go aggressive and take Paris right through the table with the momentum he had. That was a very impressive in-moment adjustment to stop running the shot through, keep his toes inbounds and take both ankles. Great body and mat awareness. It could have turned into a Cox - Wellington situation.

It’s poor design and placement but it is what it is...and that’s not a takedown. Same thing when wrestlers knock into a ref and it impacts a sequence. The ref should’ve blown the whistle or verbally commanded them to stop action before contact with the table was made by Parris. Don’t remember if he did in that particular sequence but no question he should have, after which no points should be awarded.

Every part of the mat area was too small.

In the Brooks / Caffey final, Caffey steps off the mat in the second period while both of Brooks knees are still inside the circle. Caffey isn't even doing a deep split and his foot goes off the mat. The ref is forced to stop the action when there is still a scoring opportunity just because the mat area is too small.

this is why rutgers should not host

LOL

when is it Nebraskas turn. I know...there are no turns.

not sure why rutgers was allowed to host before nebraska 

lets get into an arena that has the room 

minnesota was great last year

were there similar problems there?

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I know HS has a rule where if someone touches off the mat as a whole, they're out of bounds.  Not sure if it's the same in college.

Its the same. You touch anything that is not the mat and the action is supposed to stop. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I believe it's currently more of an interpretation. It was clearly stated a couple of books ago but I believe it disappeared. But refs I asked about it said they still do it.

13 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I believe it's currently more of an interpretation. It was clearly stated a couple of books ago but I believe it disappeared. But refs I asked about it said they still do it.

Correct.  If you lat drop someone on the short edge of the mat, you can get the 2, but no back points if the wrestler in predicament has feet on the hardwood.  Samson Imonode pinned a navy wrestler Wolfe (184) in the army navy dual, then it was reversed because the navy wrestler had a foot on the hardwood during the swipes and pin.  Kessel was officiating that one, and although he reffed HS matches too, that IS a rule in college.  

That match is engrained in my head because it was the first time I really saw that rule in action.  

Edited by Cptafw164